Did my Heli trip. clap tonight

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarFJR

URGNT
Reaction score
Have not turned a wench since I could afford to have someone else better at it do it for me. Same case for the FJR BUT! They are how many weeks out before they can even think about doing any work for me…

I picked up a wench.

It involved a saws all and ½ the instructions and went so much better than what the instructions had to say.

Didn’t remove the tank. Didn’t need to make a cut anywhere. Will need to re torch to what they recommend the wench I bought was useless.

Still have some tips to share and the pics. But I need a shower and dinner so it will wait until tomorrow.

Biggest place to fail is the ingition every thing else is a cake walk.

Have not turned a wench since I could afford to have someone else better at it do it for me. Same case for the FJR BUT! They are how many weeks out before they can even think about doing any work for me…

I picked up a wench.

It involved a saws all and ½ the instructions and went so much better than what the instructions had to say.

Didn’t remove the tank. Didn’t need to make a cut anywhere. Will need to re torch to what they recommend the wench I bought was useless.

Still have some tips to share and the pics. But I need a shower and dinner so it will wait until tomorrow.

Biggest place to fail is the ingition every thing else is a cake walk.

Where can I pick up a wench for a reasonable price?

Just yanking your chain, good job getting it done yourself.

I ran that through my bad-typing translator and came up with:

Did my Heli trip. clap...

--> Installed my Heli Triple Clamp

It involved a saws all and ...

--> I needed to cut the handlebar control cable retainer on the bottom of the triple clamp. Needed a Saws-All but then not really.

Will need to re torch...

--> I will need to re-torque my head bearings cause the wrench I had was shit, or I didn't have the right one.

:)

It's all good.

Edit: If you need a loaner wrench there are folks here on the boards that will loan you one. I could ship mine tomorrow if you'd like.

-MD

Last edited by a moderator:
...Will need to re torch...--> I will need to re-torque my head bearings cause the wrench I had was shit, or I didn't have the right one...

Edit: If you need a loaner wrench there are folks here on the boards that will loan you one. I could ship mine tomorrow if you'd like.
I've got one that I would loan and I'm only ~30 fun-ride minutes from Manchester.

Yup,

Total Bad post. Guilty of drinking and posting. And thoughts not making it to my fingers.

I looked over the instructions and thought a lot of them could be avoided. Used the torque specifications, but the cheep ass Pep Boys torque wench snapped when I was trying to bring it up to 85 lbs. but I wanted to get it on that night so I did so without following torque setting so much as the process by the manufacturer. I got a new wrench and broke it all down and redid it to spec. (about 30 min. after you know what you’re doing)

The biggest time savings was not removing the tank and other disassemble steps laid out in the manufactures instructions. If you were going to follow them and drill out the security bolts on the back of the ignition. You will need to follow everything to get the old triple clamp off and bring it to your drill press.

I did not have a drill press so I removed the ignition by using a reciprocating metal blade saw. Commonly referred to as a saws all. Placing a board under it and clamping it in place. I sawed off the security bolts and knocked out the pins with a small screwdriver.

I was hesitant doing the work myself but the garages around me have an unacceptable wait time for service, never mind critical farkles that required immediate deployment.

The saws all trick worked nicely, but I would also warn anyone doing the Heli bar triple clamp modification. A few key things I picked up by doing it.

1, they tell you to make sure you cover your gas tank, please cover your gauges and the sides of your fairings. I have a new beauty make on my tachometer

2, Follow the torque process FULLY this is your steering, not heated grips

3, they give you new 3mm extenders that you need to bring out the connection point to screw down your beauty covers. DON’T OVER TIGHTEN they snap very easy

MUCH better job, Mar. But "removing the tank" and "other disassemble steps," "drill(ing) out the security bolts on the back of the ignition," "saw(ing) off the security bolts and knock(ing) out the pins," a "drill press," a "SawzallTM," holy CRAP! I'm SO glad I own a Gen I! ONE Allen wrench does the job! :lol: :lol: :yahoo:

Ionbeam..

Lets take a run up to Laconia some time other than this weekend :lol: ever done bike week? What a mess :construction:

Ionbeam..Lets take a run up to Laconia some time other than this weekend :lol: ever done bike week? What a mess :construction:
Bike week anyplace in central NH reminds me of someone stepping on a yellowjacket nest. Lots of angry noise in huge packs that you just can't get away from.

Congratulations on getting your trip.clap done using Redneck Engineering ;) :lol: Keep that up and you may have to turn in your right to be called a Yankee.

I'm off to meet Fred W and BkrK12 for breakfast right now. Next weekend and into next week is CFR. The summer will have trips to run NERDS routes and other misc rides until EOM. Your welcome to join us anytime.