Did the tripple nickel today

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rx:FJRqd

Reaction score
Well, I've finnally read enough stories about OH Rt. 555 that I had to try it for myself. Took off from Delaware, OH to Zanesville this morning and picked up 555 to Little Hocking. Let me say... This road is amazing. My face still hurts from the grin! Now I know why people talk about this road so much. There was ZERO traffic on it. There were a few spots that had some "washout" from all the rain over the weekend, but nothing that wasn't manageable. I had a moment or two over some blind crests where the road turns and there wasn't a sign to warn me. I only felt the ABS kick in about 2-3 times. The back end does get a little loose at times still, nothing like my old FZ1. Most of the road can be done in 3rd gear with the FJR's torque to pull you out of the slower corners. There was no rain at all during my ride on 555, but I got totally DRENCHED in a downpour on the ride home (Damm...was only 15 minutes from home after 6 hours of riding).

I probably won't get back to 555 this year (would hate to see what it looks like with all those leaves on it) but I am definitely up for this again in the spring.

I concur, I rode it on my way home from the IBR start a little over a week ago for the 1st time at the recommendation of a few. I took some video while I was on it but we hit a steady light rain so the video didn't turn out too well (figures, I had beautiful weather for every other twisty on the trip). I was warned about the blind turns and to not look at the telephone poles to see which way the road turned over the crest as they do lie. It is the closest thing I've ever road to compare to a roller coaster. Some serious G's can be pulled in some of the "dips" and some of the crests are sharp enough to catch air but the fear of not knowing which way the road turned on the way down kept the rubber on the tar.

... It is the closest thing I've ever road to compare to a roller coaster. Some serious G's can be pulled in some of the "dips" and some of the crests are sharp enough to catch air but the fear of not knowing which way the road turned on the way down kept the rubber on the tar.
That be the TRUTH. Lots of up/downs and left/rights without visual clues ahead of time...so watch or that road will BITE ya.

Would love to do the 555 again this weekend, but I'm going over to see a friend who just picked up his new CBR600RR for a quick local ride.

Ditto that catching air part...I could have swore I did that once or twice yesterday.

I rode 555 from 676 to Little Hocking today. My daughter was ready to get home so we took 339 instead of a more interesting route.

Bring your friend on the CBR and come back this weekend!!

To tell you guy's the truth, if you liked 555, you'll absolutely flip if you ride 536, back and forth a couple of times. October is looking good for me Joe, or for anybody as far as that goes. Post up and we'll set a date. Almost any day works for me, since I've lost my job. The up side is I've put about 6,000 miles on since spring!!!!!! So !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's not so bad. Guy's ride safely, hopefully see everybody at EOM. Dave

As Dave (aka scrapedup) mentioned, there are many great roads in southeastern Ohio and 555 is just one of them...now get out there and ride!!!

I love SE Ohio! I'll be passing thru the area in late October so I'll look for you guys if you end up riding on Saturday the 24th. It looks like I'll be running 2 triple nickels ... the first in North Central PA followed by SE Ohio the next day! :yahoo:

Murph, Went checking last night after seeing your post about a 555 in Pa. Couldn't come up with it. So!!!!!!!!!!! If you could give me a starting city or a possible route from Cleve. Ohio, I can take it from there. My only thought was it might be twisty like Ohio's but have a different Route no. Either you can PM. me or Post it up here for anyone who likes doing "Twisties" can check it out for themselves. Ride Safely!!!!!!!!! See everyone at EOM> Dave

Murph, Went checking last night after seeing your post about a 555 in Pa. Couldn't come up with it. So!!!!!!!!!!! If you could give me a starting city or a possible route from Cleve. Ohio, I can take it from there. My only thought was it might be twisty like Ohio's but have a different Route no. Either you can PM. me or Post it up here for anyone who likes doing "Twisties" can check it out for themselves. Ride Safely!!!!!!!!! See everyone at EOM> Dave
Don't get me wrong. It's not nearly as dramatic as SE Ohio's 555 but I'll probably be passing thru and thought it funny that I'd be running two different 555's on consecutive days.

google map

Don't get me wrong. It's not nearly as dramatic as SE Ohio's 555 but I'll probably be passing thru and thought it funny that I'd be running two different 555's on consecutive days.

google map
Weedville?...very interesting :derisive: