Did your dealer do a TBS at 600 mi?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zzzzip

Reaction score
I did my own oil/filter changes on my '04 and can spin a wrench once in a while. Was thinking of doing my own 600 mile service, except the book calls for a TSB-- which I can't do at this point.

The dealer never touched my TB that I know of even at 8,000 and 16,000 when they serviced my '04.

So question is: did your dealer do more than listen to the motor and actually do a TSB at 600 miles?

Mine said the '04 didn't need it (I bought it with 1300 miles on it and sold it at 18,000)and it ran good up to the time I sold it. The '06 feels and sounds the same. If they are just "checking" the TSB without hooking up the TB, I'll save my bucks and do the inital service myself.

Thanks B)

Mine had 600 miles on it the day after I bought it. I have a real hard time accepting that I should have to pay 2-300 dollars the day after I bought it to make sure it was screwed together right.

I have never been much of a believer in routine services anyway. I do most of my own work, and all of the routine maintenance myself.

Hell no, they didn't do much of anything. They suck. I do my own stuff.

Anyway, sync gauges aren't that expensive. Take the plunge and pick up a set and then you can do whenever you like for free.

I am a big believer in PMs but a serious nonbeliever in the yamaha shops I have encountered. I think a TBS at 600 is a good idea. Any chance of factory screw ups will be eliminated. Get a motionpro tool and learn how to lift your tank. It really is not a big deal. Change your oil change your rear end fluid and put another 3600 on it. Get all your supplies from sunnyside (FJRGOODIES.COM) and they will give you advice. My 05 will never see a dealer untill the 26K valve adjustment is due next spring and I am thinking I will drive from here, near san francisco to Redding for a Russel Daylong, then plant my ass in that and head for washington. I will have sunnyside do the valve check and give my bike a good look at. Then see some folks in BC. The FJR is not that dificult for PMS. do em and know they are done....Just my .02 worth...BTW...the Sunnyside people and FJRTECH make it really sweet. Thanks to all that contributed there

+1 on the Big Three FJR tech sites we all get links to. Awesome work.

Do the TBS on your own. My dealers idea of 600 mile maint was changing oil front/back, tightening things, and slapping me on the ass on the way out the door. All that for $139+ tax!

Oh, and the TBS was *not* part of that cost. TBS was $40 extra, even though it's listed as 600 mile maint.

My dealers idea of 600 mile maint was changing oil front/back, tightening things, and slapping me on the ass on the way out the door. All that for $139+ tax!
Mine did the same thing, supposedly with a TBS, and did more than slap my ass when he charged me $325.00....

My dealer hasn't seen me once since I rode off his parking lot. I just don't have the time to ride to his shop, leave it there for a few days or more, catch a ride back to ride my bike home with a lighter wallet. I've done everything myself, and once you do it, its easier to do each time, including the TBS (Throttle Body Sync) which I got down to a science in 20 min.

Do your own. It's a piece of cake. I had never done a TBS (Throttle Body Sync) before. i got the Motion Pro and followed the directions on FJR Tech. A little slow first time out but it was no biggie. My #1 TB WAS out of sync by a fair margin. Quick turn on the adjustment screw and I was good to go. It was worth the investment in the Motion Pro ($55.00). I figure I paid for it all by doing my first service. All the future ones are money in the bank. NOTE: I'm mechanically challenged too!

Actually, the fjr is easier to sync than carbs. You will want to follow as per Yammi's instructs:

Set the throttle bodies 1,2 & 4 to number 3. If you don't do it this way, you might run out

of adjustment when trying to set #3 to the others. Ya wanna guess how I know this?

I would also recommend the Barbarian +7 mod before the sync.

Actually, the fjr is easier to sync than carbs. You will want to follow as per Yammi's instructs:Set the throttle bodies 1,2 & 4 to number 3. If you don't do it this way, you might run out

of adjustment when trying to set #3 to the others. Ya wanna guess how I know this?

I would also recommend the Barbarian +7 mod before the sync.

Good info guys... but at the risk of sounding stupid, what is a Barbarian +7 mod?

When I asked this 17yr old mechanic at the Yami dealer if my bike got TBSed........

His reply was.....Oh man, that'd be totally awesome!!! But no, it can't get TBS, the bike doesn't have a satelite dish. But if I find a place to put one on it, where you gonna try to stick the TV?

When doing the TBS be sure to keep on top of any RPM changes. Before you start set the idle speed to spec and if it changes at all adjust it back to the base line. You may need to do this quite frequently. Keeping RPMs at one setting will help prevent the screws from bottoming/topping out during the TBS.

TBS = Throttle Body Synchronization balances the induction (intakes) of all four cylinders. The purpose is to balance power production so that all cylinders produce equal power. A byproduct of a good TBS is engine smoothness. Most people do the TBS to smooth out engine vibrations without realizing that they are actually doing a cylinder to cylinder power balance.

Edited:

what is a TSB?
Typo? If you really meant TSB = Technical Service Bulletin = A paper issued my the Mother Company (Honda, Yamaha, Ford, etc.) that details an issue that is out of the norm and typically includes the diagnostics, involved parts or systems and the repair. Typically a TSB is outside a factory recall and probably isn't announced to the public.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had to specifically request the TBS (even though it's a tick on the service list). After that, I started doing my own, so I specify that they NOT do it (so they won't charge me to say they did it while they took a smoke break).

TBS = Throttle Body Synchronization balances the induction (intakes) of all four cylinders. The purpose is to balance power production so that all cylinders produce equal power. A byproduct of a good TBS is engine smoothness. Most people do the TBS to smooth out engine vibrations without realizing that they are actually doing a cylinder to cylinder power balance.
Edited:

what is a TSB?
Typo? If you really meant TSB = Technical Service Bulletin = A paper issued my the Mother Company (Honda, Yamaha, Ford, etc.) that details an issue that is out of the norm and typically includes the diagnostics, involved parts or systems and the repair. Typically a TSB is outside a factory recall and probably isn't announced to the public.
Thanks, I meant TBS

Against my better judgment, I took my '05 to a dealer for the 600 mile service/ expensive oil change. I doubt they checked the TBS, but, the bike ran great, and continued to do so. Then, when I bought a Motion Pro and checked it myself for the first time at 15K, it was within spec, though I balanced them up as tight as they can get. Still runs great.