Didn't know what I was missing

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garyahouse

newbs need the forum
Reaction score
I just finished installing new heated grips on my Gen 1, and like most of you already know, wow, what a difference. I didn't know what I was missing. What a thrill it is to flip that switch and no more cold hands. They even seem to help warm the rest of me a little bit as well. Come to think of it, I felt the same way about several of the farkles I've put on the bike. Thinking back to when I bought the bike, it never really occurred to me that it needed anything. Bone stock, it was so much MORE than anything I've ever owned or driven. But now that I've spent a year putting farkles on it from one end to the other, I'm reminded that I just didn't know what I was missing. The FJR may be getting a little older, but it's getting a lot better.

And I learned about every one of my farkles by reading this forum.

Gary

darksider #44

That's it! It's over! You're hooked, addicted, you'll never be the same. All your money will go to farkles. :dribble:

Enjoy. :yahoo: Heated grips are nice, I miss mine. :(

You being a superior person for owning a Gen1 2005, I'd do these farkles at a minimum for comfort and safety.

New seat ($350-$800)

Steble horn (do it yourself, $60 in parts, etc.)

FZ1 mirrors (~$100)

Frame sliders (~$100)

Vista cruise ($20)

All these except the seat are relatively inexpensive.

GO GARY!!! :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha...That's how I felt when I did my heated grips. I donno what took me so long. Love my FZ1 mirrors and my other add-ons too. I think we have a disease.

Dangerous thread here...talking about farkles. I think the most important was the seat, but auxiliary lighting is right up there (front and rear). As Bluesman said, you gotta replace the OEM horns. The most expensive thing frankly has been the Autocom system and associated peripherals. Now I can talk bike to bike on rides using the Kenwood TK3101 radio (although that is actually a rare occurrence), hear the radar detector, gps and phone and music input if wanted. Pretty cool, but then having Fairlaner and MadMike in your ear is a unique experience. :unsure:

Good luck with the addiction. At least the FJR crowd doesn't chrome everything and simply prefer expensive electronic and long-distance accessories..

Let the farkling begin!!!

My last 2 bikes were '93 GTS' and i always felt deprived(or is it depraved?) because there were never many farkles for that bike. I saw all this cool stuff for every other popular model out there, but nobody made much for the GTS because they didn't sell very well.

Well I'm making up for it now many times over, and all i can say is although

my wallet hurts :rolleyes: I'm lovin it.

Helping others spend their money on farkles is one of the many "free" services we are happy to provide.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

.....especially since most of us have been on your end of the transactions.

Feel free to consider us your enablers.......

Let the farkling begin!!!

My last 2 bikes were '93 GTS' and i always felt deprived(or is it depraved?) because there were never many farkles for that bike. I saw all this cool stuff for every other popular model out there, but nobody made much for the GTS because they didn't sell very well.

Well I'm making up for it now many times over, and all i can say is although

my wallet hurts :rolleyes: I'm lovin it.
Out of curiosity, I was just checking out the GTS. I never knew Yammie made something like that. Granted it wasn't an FJR, but it sure was ahead of its time with that RADD front suspension. One source said, "this suspension provided improved stability under braking." They wen't on to add, "The GTS1000 also had advanced technologies not normally found on motorcycles at the time, such as electronic fuel injection, ABS brakes, and a catalytic converter."

What did you think of that front suspension? Did ya get a lot of comments on it? Sure looked unusual. Overall, it was a nice looking machine for it's time.

Thanks for the input guys... as if I needed more stuff to lust after (hohoho). Geez, it seems like I've got money going in every possible direction right now, (as you know, it's a week before Christmas). Concerning my farkling plans, Trooper mod is next. I like your horn idea, and maybe the mirrors: I'll be giving them some thought. However, I'm just gonna take a few deep breaths and try to get over this for now. Anyway, I was fortunate that the bike came with a Corbin and a larger windshield. So far I've put on:

custom handlebar risers

kick stand pad

power outlets

vista cruise

fenda extenda

T Rex sliders

GPS mount

voltage meter w/on-off switch

heated grips

panier decals by real time industries CLICKY

and the trooper mod (stage 1 only)

and my favorite farkle that's not really a farkle... the Exalto

Obviously there's a lot more I can do. As you know, you're not done till the fuse block is full. HEY!! Maybe that should be the next project. My battery terminals are starting to look like spiders.

Gary

darksider #44

Radio

You are so right, however I think it's more an indicator of my age than it is of my location. I don't recall struggling with cold hands years ago. I remember shoveling snow in the 70's and 80's with the coat hanging open, no gloves, and sweating like a horse with the temp hovering near 10 or so. Yup, it's Fla., but we'll see the 20's at some point in the next month or two. Gets a little chilly after about 30 minutes in the saddle. I'm tired of wearin' big ol' honkin' mittens on those mornings when it drops below freezing. I'm sooooo happy with these new grips. And concerning my man card, I'll be happy to donate it to anybody that feels like they need one :yahoo:

Gary

darksider #44