Differences between US and Canadian model FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snoofus

Reaction score
I did search to see if this topic was already covered, and didn't find any titles that looked relevant. I'm thinking of purchasing a US bike and exporting it to the Great White North. I've read up on what that involves already.

What are differences between US and Canadian FJRs?

Obviously the Canadian has kmh as the major scale on the speedo, and we have a full French owners' manual (thanks Pierre). Anything else?

I did search to see if this topic was already covered, and didn't find any titles that looked relevant. I'm thinking of purchasing a US bike and exporting it to the Great White North. I've read up on what that involves already.

Obviously the Canadian has kmh as the major scale on the speedo, and we have a full French owners' manual (thanks Pierre). Anything else?
I just brought back a 2008 this week, from Georgia to Ontario. The only difference that I can find is the mph to km

and the biggest difference is the price!!!

I picked up a 2008 AE with yamaha top bag, risers, throttle lock, givi tank bag with 3945 miles, Canadian price without the add ons and 16000 km $12500 + lots of taxes

I paid 8600 cdn + 195 RIV fee + lots of taxes

Easy to come accross the border, showed up at the american side, had the title stamped, went to the canadian side, filled out two forms, paid the fee(no duty)and gst. than drove home.

Can't understand why i have not done his before, check out cycletrader.com and this forum for lots of FJR's for sale

The dealer that I use has a 2010 new on the floor. I am sure he will give a good deal. Unless it has to be used.

I've been told because Cdn FJR's get to rest up for 6mo of the year they're more than willing to rip the arms out of your sockets during the summer. True story.

Shhh.. you can hear it snickering.

IMG_0698.jpg

funny, i heard the Canadian models have a 95mph limit cuz the boys up north can't handle speed ;) LOL Just kidding!

The dealer that I use has a 2010 new on the floor. I am sure he will give a good deal. Unless it has to be used.
I am shooting for the 7 - 9000USD range and a 2008-9 model year. That will get me a new 2008 AE model in Michigan.

The comment about a short Canadian riding season is true of every province but BC. Yet, strangely enough, the average mileage on used US bikes seems much lower than the Canadian ones.

I have emailed local dealers in Washington state - they don't seem to be interested in selling theirs for the kinds of prices I've seen on CycleTrader.com.

I'm surprised that after an hour no one has said the Canadian models all pull hard to the left... Oh sorry, no political humour. There's another extra U from the the English language as written and spoken everywhere but the USA. What's with all the missing U's in US spelling? Did they throw them in the harbour during the Boston Tea Party? Damn, there's another extra U. They're everywhere.

funny, i heard the Canadian models have a 95mph limit cuz the boys up north can't handle speed ;) LOL Just kidding!
I dunno about that. Rob 'n Tom ran about 100mph for about an hour across Montana. I ran it up to around 135 coming into Cody on 14 - then I remembered I was fully loaded with a car tire on the back.

We won't do those kind of speeds north of the border, here in Ontario, 50 (kmh! not mph, thats 35mph!) over gets you a $10G fine and vehicle impounded. So we just turn them loose south of the border :D

I'm surprised that after an hour no one has said the Canadian models all pull hard to the left... Oh sorry, no political humour. There's another extra U from the the English language as written and spoken everywhere but the USA. What's with all the missing U's in US spelling? Did they throw them in the harbour during the Boston Tea Party? Damn, there's another extra U. They're everywhere.
We don't speak English here, we talk American. Besides, we're lazy and stoopid. :p

As far I know the Canadian models have an extra ignition key (red) that has some sort of magical security chip in it. If you lose it and all your black keys you'll get to buy a new ECU blackbox with your new keys. Also the Canadian models have had heated grips standard for some time. I imported an American FJR. I can personally attest to the fact that the American model does in fact go over 95 mph in Canada.

Bobbie. I surprised the American border guys didn't hassle you about not having your paperwork faxed there 72 hours in advance. Anyways, congrats,

I've just finished importing a 2008 FJR from Florence Oregon. The Registrar of Imported Vehicles - aka RIV - required two modifications to officially switch the bike from US to Canadian citizenship.

The concealed carry holster in the fairing had to be swapped out to make room for a public health care document holder. This, together with a minor electronic change to ensure the Yamaha joins the UK and France in any world war two years earlier than the US model makes the bike officially Canadian, eh?

I've just finished importing a 2008 FJR from Florence Oregon. The Registrar of Imported Vehicles - aka RIV - required two modifications to officially switch the bike from US to Canadian citizenship.

The concealed carry holster in the fairing had to be swapped out to make room for a public health care document holder. This, together with a minor electronic change to ensure the Yamaha joins the UK and France in any world war two years earlier than the US model makes the bike officially Canadian, eh?
That nice but then we have to come in and finish it for you

Snow Tires ?

On the Gen II bikes, the Canadian version comes standard with heated hand grips (on the "A" model) and an ignition immobilizer. We have to pay extra for the saddlebag liners and, for some strange reason, the speedometer only shows KPH which is just plain dumb since most of us Canucks do a lot of riding in the U.S. where gas is cheap, the weather is warm and American women just love us to death.

The ignition immobilizer is important..... yep, we can't lose those keys.... but if you are going to install an upper triple tree type of riser, you need to know if you have a US or Canadian/European version. The ignition switch hole is smaller on the US version.

The US version also has both MPH and KPH markings on the speedo.