Difficulty starting with a warm engine

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good evening my friends.
For the past two weeks I have been experiencing a problem with the FJR1300 2004 ABS. When I go for a ride and the engine gets hot and I have to stop and turn it off, when I go to start it again, it won't start. When I push the starter all the dial indicators go off and nothing works. Nor does it send current to turn the starter. I'm thinking maybe it's a rectifier or coil issue. After a while the engine temperature drops, it works normally. Have any of you faced something like this?
I have an 05 which experienced exactly what you are describing. No start when warm with cluster blanking out and resetting of the clock. The issue was a dirty starter. I brought the same question up years ago and was told to look into the starter. I found the instructions on how to dismantle to access it, it was pretty intimidating at first but the instructions were soo well done it actually made it easy! Once the starter removed I found a video or instructions on how to disassemble the starter (been too long now) to service it. Cleaned it all up, put it back together, installed back in the bike and voila, no more issues and it's been years now i still have the same battery and relay in when having the issue. In my opinion I would start with servicing the starter before changing the battery, relay or even adding a new starter. Unless of course during your inspection of the starter indicates otherwise.
Hope this helps.

I have an 05 which experienced exactly what you are describing. No start when warm with cluster blanking out and resetting of the clock. The issue was a dirty starter. I brought the same question up years ago and was told to look into the starter. I found the instructions on how to dismantle to access it, it was pretty intimidating at first but the instructions were soo well done it actually made it easy! Once the starter removed I found a video or instructions on how to disassemble the starter (been too long now) to service it. Cleaned it all up, put it back together, installed back in the bike and voila, no more issues and it's been years now i still have the same battery and relay in when having the issue. In my opinion I would start with servicing the starter before changing the battery, relay or even adding a new starter. Unless of course during your inspection of the starter indicates otherwise.
Hope this helps.
I agree that it MAY be the starter. With this sort of issue, the FIRST thing to do is to make sure that the battery is good and the main connections are secure. IF the battery load tests OK, the best way to diagnose a starter problem is using a clamp-on DC ammeter to measure starting current. A bad starter is likely to draw 100 amps or so... Note: Many clamp-on meters measure current in AC only so make sure you get the right sort.

Hope this helps.
My 2003 has a lithium battery and exhibits the same symptoms. It doesn't like too hot or too cold. Not sure if that's a help, but if you have a lithium battery this could be the issue.