Digital Multimeter

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ionbeam

2 FUN
Reaction score
Harbor Freight has a pretty well featured LCD Digital Multimeter for $4.99!!! An Electrical Engineer I know ;) has tested the DMM and says that the meter works as advertised and meets all reasonable accuracy for non-lab measurements except for the transistor tester. If you are into electrofarkling this is a great tool and it makes electrical troubleshooting much easier. Even if you don't know how to use all the features all the helpful techies on this site will be able to guide you using this meter.

No affiliation with anyone or anything, just passing on something I saw.

Alan

====================================================

CEN-TEC 7 FUNCTION, 19 RANGE DIGITAL MULTIMETER

BACKLIGHT FOR EASY READING

multimeter.jpg

Functions: AC and DC voltage, AC and DC resistance, DC amperage, battery test, diode test

Fused circuit with diode protection

Low battery indicator

LCD readout with backlight

High-impact construction

24'' leads with banana plugs

Push-button on/off switch with auto-off

750 VAC or 1000 VDC max. input

Last edited by a moderator:
Radman, thanks for pointing out a weakness with cheapie meters :good:

Trouble with the cheapies is that the display takes a dump early on.
True, cheapies don't take a beating very well but with semi-reasonable care there should be no problem. At $5 it is essentially disposable. You can trash 8 of these for the price of one of the other cheapies. Just pointing out there is a meter available that someone could afford that normally couldn't justify the cost of a quality meter.

Alan

I have bought several of the Harbor Freight multimeters when they have been on sale for $3.99 and found them to be surprisingly accurate (at least they give the same readings as each other and my $50 multimeter). So far, so good on the reliability, they all work and I have not even had to change a battery. I keep them in the padded air bag they came in and usually throw one in my saddlebag whenever I take a trip.

$5 is good. I might even be willing to deal with Harbor Freight for that. But I already have a couple of WaveTeks and a Fluke.

As I said, I was just passing on a good buy. In real life I actually have more and better electronic equipment than my employer does :wacko: Heck, I even know how to use it all ;)

Alan

Oops, double reply :angry: This duplicate message edited out for your enjoyment.

Alan

I have a Fluke. No need for anything else.
I have a Fluke, too. That's what I kept as I gifted to others the Craftsman. :huh:

I loved standing around the vendor booth as the reps were talking to customers and raving about how we used Flukes at work and everyone loved them so much we started proclaiming, "If it works, it's a Fluke!".

He asked me not to help him so much. :D