Direct connection for Garmin and XM radio

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jer

Reaction score
I have a Garmin 1490 and a Sirius XM radio. They both have a power supply that is to be plugged into a power outlet. The input plug for the Garmin states that the output is 5V/1A. The XM input plug states that the output is 5V/1.5A. Both have other parts molded into the power cord and I wonder if they reduce the voltage from 12 to 5 volts or is it in the plug?

When I installed these units in my 2007 I purchased a couple of power outlets to plug these into. My question is can they be wired up directly by cutting of the power outlet plugs. I now have a nice FZ-1 Fuse Block to plug into

Thanks in advance.

I was thinking about doing the same thing with my XM receiver (Delphi 2) a little while back but never convinced myself it would be worth the effort. Pretty sure you can't just cut the plug off and most likely will need something like this. Not sure though how weather resistant that module is nor where you might permanently mount it (looks like a short lead from the unit.) Highly recommend the motorcycle antenna on that site btw although I see the price went up quite a bit.

I was thinking about doing the same thing with my XM receiver (Delphi 2) a little while back but never convinced myself it would be worth the effort. Pretty sure you can't just cut the plug off and most likely will need something like this. Not sure though how weather resistant that module is nor where you might permanently mount it (looks like a short lead from the unit.) Highly recommend the motorcycle antenna on that site btw although I see the price went up quite a bit.
Thanks for the reply Ogre. I think I will just hook them up like I did on the other bike. Under the rider seat with the FZ-1.

I have a Garmin 1490 and a Sirius XM radio. They both have a power supply that is to be plugged into a power outlet. The input plug for the Garmin states that the output is 5V/1A. The XM input plug states that the output is 5V/1.5A. Both have other parts molded into the power cord and I wonder if they reduce the voltage from 12 to 5 volts or is it in the plug?When I installed these units in my 2007 I purchased a couple of power outlets to plug these into. My question is can they be wired up directly by cutting of the power outlet plugs. I now have a nice FZ-1 Fuse Block to plug intoThanks in advance.
Hi,

I have always done just what you suggest. On my Gold Wing, I had my Garmin SP2610 and Delphi Sky Fy 2 wired to one fuse on my EC fuse block. Be sure your fuse is greater than total draw adding both. On the FJR and V Strom I currently have my Sumo 550 and J&M CB2003 together as well. This also allows you to use only one ground loop isolator for both units.

Thanks

Not sure about the Garmin but a big NO to the XM direct wire. It uses 5 VDC and you either need to use the adapter as shown above or something else. There's a thread around here someplace I started a while back on the same topic. Try a search. There's a good DIY adapter described in and ADVRider thread listed there

I disassembled a cig lighter xm power adapter and soldered wires onto the circuit board which I connected like any other electric farkle. so far so good.