Disappointed...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aasland,

I grew up near Rochester and have been to Cycle City a few times in the past. I have tried to make a deal or two there over the years and have always walked away wondering how that place stays in business. I went in one time and was shopping for a dirt bike. The salesman asked me if I would need financing and I said no. When I started to inquire about the price and if they would be willing to deal, the salesman said "If money is no object, what do you care about the price?" I just left laughing. I know that dealers are a valuable asset and we should all try to support them when we can, but sometimes I wonder why.

I suppose this really isn't relevant, but I just felt like sharing.

Tom

I want to spend local. I want my dealer there when I need warranty work. I want them to make some money...

But, the guy calls me and says he's got a new '08 A in the crate. Only $9900! I decide that $9900 isn't a bad price so I stop by... I'm primed to buy the bike. But it's NOT $9900 it's $9900 + $800 Set up and Fright. That's $10,700. Okay, so the dealer says he'll make it up with the parts I want. Touring Shield, Heated Grip Kit, Yamaha top trunk and back rest. All, not installed, including tax, tags for $13,000. He reminds me that's well below the $13195 +tax and tags I'm looking at for the 2010 at the other place. But it's not about the money, it's about the value.

So I take he's work sheet and head home to check some things out. KBB list the 2008 retail price at 10,015 (Used), but I found a '09 for $10,900 at another dealer (800 miles away). I'm thinking $9,900 is the most I'll give for a '08. So he's going to need to eat his setup fee. As far as the extra's, Accessories4bikes.com had the dealer's "discounted" price beat by $200, with shipping.

So I'm done. Looks like I'll be scrubbing in the tires on my new bike in W. Virginia.

Last edited by a moderator:
"But it's not about the money, it's about the value."

Yeah, right. So, if it's not about the money, (dealer's words), then let him not charge you the set-up fee.

Have an AWESOME break-in ride on your new, reasonably-priced FJR. You'll be smiling like a possum eating bumblebees.

I thought "set up" was included in the price of the bike. I understand that dealers try to charge it, but I could have sworn that freight and set up are already accounted for in the MSRP.

FWIW, I bought my bike in Durango Colorado after the dealers in Albuquerque refused to make deals on FJRs. They acted like they were gold plated. One salesman told me I qualified for a 10% discount and to go see him. I showed up two days later and once I was in the shop, he told me that they were not allowed to discount FJRs. I walked and bought my bike somewhere else.

When I got back to Albuquerque, I went to the dealer to get a service plan because that dealership's service department is phenominal. When I walked in, the salesman said, "I knew you'd be back for that bike." He nearly shit when I pointed to my new, from somewhere else FJR parked out front.

That 2007 that was on their floor in April 2007 did not leave the dealership until nearly December 2008. Stupid!

I decided to pull the trigger on a 2010 FJR. My local sealer doesn't have one in stock and wasn't really willing to settle on a price if I wasn't really willing to sign paperwork. My sales guy, who I have bought from before, said, "Look, you just find the best deal you can and I'll match it. Our motto is "We will not be undersold"".
After a morning spent at the BMW dealer checking out the K13GT one last time and watching Chris “Teach” McNeil demo the new S1000RR (Wow, what a bike, and what a rider) I headed over to the Yamaha Dealer to do the deal, with a add in my hand from another dealer in the region for a 2010 FJR1300 at $13,195. My sales call calls to confirm the add, and confirm that the other dealer doesn't charge for fright and prep, draws up the paperwork and takes it to the Sales Manager. The reply was.... "Nope, can't do it." Now my sales guy is good guy. Fellow FZ1 rider and bike nut. He asked for me to wait for Monday, and he would call the owner of the dealership and give me a firm answer.

Sucks to go to the dealer and not be able to sign the deal. Now I'm sitting here waiting for word on if I'm getting my bike local or if I'm taking a 3 hour drive. I also need to decide if I'm willing to come up a couple bucks to keep local or if I'm going to hold them to the $13,195.
Possible newbie here...How in the world did you get them down to $13,195? I checked out a 2010 FJR and they quoted me $16,000. I'm trying to decide between a brand new 2008 for $12,600, the 2010 for $16,000 or a used 2007 with only 1850 miles for ~ $9,000. Not sure what I be giving up if I went with the 2007 used. Any help is appreciated.

Set-up Fee's? I've never paid MSRP for a bike and have never paid a set-up fee or any other tack-ons, just sales tax. My dealer told me that Yamaha comes in and marks the bikes down to move them, he passes that on to the buyers, some dealers don't pass it on. Don't know if this is true, but its what he told me. Based on how he smokes the other dealers prices, I believe him.

let me add a few points here. I am a cpa. I used to do financials and tax returns for auto dealers. They all have new car sales, used car sales, service and F&I (finance and insurance, in other words what the guy is selling where you sign the docs). In order of profitability, highest to lowest 1. F&I (by a huge margin), used cars, service and new cars.

My guess is same goes for motorcycles.

If your local bike dealer balks at beating or matching prices, walk. and tell him you can take your parts and service anywhere. A honda dealer can sell you an oil change just as good as the pimply faced, minimum wage guy can at your local dealer. Same goes for parts, etc. It is a commodity business. If these dealers want your business, make them earn it. Price and Service. Period.

You need a good poker face, determination to walk, and do what is best for you. Two grand on the table? walk. Two hunded on the table, consider buying local. If the local dealer can't see the difference, they don't deserve your business, and quite frankly,they will be out of business shortly anyway.

Just my 2 1/2 cents.

Uh oh. Soap Box Time Again... Sorry in advance. I had to respond when I saw Set-up Fees mentioned.

Set-up Fees: All manufacturers reimburse their dealers for set-up. Standard industry practice. It's a necessary step so they pay the dealer to put the bike together. Never EVER pay extra to a dealer for set-up. As an example - Suzuki and Kawasaki reimburse up to $750 to the dealer for this. (Same thig goes for "Dealer Prep" .) Anything you pay for set-up goes straight into the dealer's pocket.

Flooring: Many dealers don't own the bikes in their showrooms. They're either owned by a bank or finance company. The dealer must pay interest for the bike to sit there, with the promise that the bank/finance company will be paid off upon sale. The longer it sits, the more interest they have paid. It's called FLOORING. Flooring finances 100% of the bike cost to the dealer. Having worked in the banking biz, I've seen the actual flooring price for some bikes. Dealers pay about two-thirds of suggested list price for some (highly desirable) bikes and even less on others. There is always room to negotiate.

"I'll Show You the Invoice" - Yes. Their in-house created invoice. Next time, ask to see the flooring papers for the bike. That's got the real price they've paid for it. They'll balk at showing it to you, too.

Freight: And while we're talking suggested list price - We've all seen SUGGESTED LIST + Freight listed on the web sites. Think about this one for a second. The bike had to get to the dealer somehow. The manufacturer shipped the bike to the dealer. Not the other way around. Why would you pay frieght to the dealer? Freight is part of the price the dealer pays (and floors) for the bike. They can waive the individual charge for freight because it's already in the purchase price they're charging you. Separate freight on a purchase agreement is more profit for the dealer. Next time you shop try this: Check out what it would cost to ship an item (the dry weight of your desired motorcycle) to the town the dealer is in. It will be less than the "Dealer's cost." Point out your research to the dealer.

How do I Buy? - Research. Find the price I want to pay. Make no trades - Sell my bike privately. Offer the dealer a cash price out the door. Tell 'em I don't care how they write it up, I'm only paying my cash price. No deals for additional accessories - these also put profit in the dealer's pocket. (Get a written commitment for accessory discounts for purchases made after the bike purchase.) If I get my price, I know they've made money taking the deal. If they don't take it - walk. Try again at another dealer.

I'm not saying screw the dealers. I'm just saying you deserve a fair deal and they do to.

Stepping down now.

Pirnie, you are right on target. Years ago I sold cars during a college break. I learned more than I did in all the sales and marketing classes I ever took. The only thing I would add is they know the "I am going to leave" tactic. If they throw some BS number out there, just say see ya and leave do not turn around drive away. They will be after you like a shark after a meal. They will look how you are dressed, what you drove up in etc. When i bought an '08 in '08 I emailed all the local ( within 250 miles and said I wanted an FJR and give me the best price , one shot. I got back prices right away, told all of them you can do better. They all lowered there prices again. I came in to pick up the bike with the "out the door" price and they of course had all the usual markup fees on it. I just said keep it, and left. 2 days later they called me back with all the fees removed.

I want to spend local. I want my dealer there when I need warranty work. I want them to make some money...
But, the guy calls me and says he's got a new '08 A in the crate. Only $9900! I decide that $9900 isn't a bad price so I stop by... I'm primed to buy the bike. But it's NOT $9900 it's $9900 + $800 Set up and Fright. That's $10,700. Okay, so the dealer says he'll make it up with the parts I want. Touring Shield, Heated Grip Kit, Yamaha top trunk and back rest. All, not installed, including tax, tags for $13,000. He reminds me that's well below the $13195 +tax and tags I'm looking at for the 2010 at the other place. But it's not about the money, it's about the value.

So I take he's work sheet and head home to check some things out. KBB list the 2008 retail price at 10,015 (Used), but I found a '09 for $10,900 at another dealer (800 miles away). I'm thinking $9,900 is the most I'll give for a '08. So he's going to need to eat his setup fee. As far as the extra's, Accessories4bikes.com had the dealer's "discounted" price beat by $200, with shipping.

So I'm done. Looks like I'll be scrubbing in the tires on my new bike in W. Virginia.

Similar crap when I went to get my Bike .. I went to Mt Vernon, Ohio , Had my mind made up to get the 2007 that had been sitting on the floor for some time..

Told them to give me their best deal.. Plus it was the end of Nov. first of Dec. ,, winter in Ohio..

( I had been to the dealership several times,, liked the salesman ,, had service done there ,, got parts there,,etc,)

Anyway , when I told them to give me their best deal ,, they must have thought I said, bend me over the table and have your way with me..

( tried to tack on set up charges ,, destination chargers ,, add point to financial charges ,, etc. etc..)

Said No thanks ,,,, went to another dealer ,, asked what's his best price on ordering a 2008 ,, They gave me a better price than the other guy wanted on a

left over 2007.. plus no set up charges,, etc.

I did make it a point to ride up to the Mt.Vernon shop with the new bike,, park it outside the window so the salesman and every body could see it..

Went in and looked around , didn't buy anything, and then left..

I don't do the haggle game ,,, give me your best price ,, If I don't like it I walk ...

I love my "08" ,, glad I got it.... :clapping:

Learned a trick from my mother who spent years as a purchasing agent.

When she bought her car she shopped around to get the best price, told the dealers she'd be financing over 36 months. The dealers (as pointed out previously) makes most of their profits on F&I, so they dramatically lower the quoted price by LETTING them talk you into financing for 60 months - knowing their going to more than make up the discount on the extended term on the financing.

After getting a written, signed quote, she has a 'change of heart' and eliminates the financing outright and pays cash for the car. Naturally the dealer has shit hemmorage and refuses. After several calls to the dealer AND the better business bureau and the dealer association she got her car at the quoted price.

The dealership ended up firing the salesmen - which was idiotic because he only did his job as trained and the sales manager is the guy that approved the deal.

This reminds me of a bike shopping experience that makes me smile whenever I think of it. Waaaaay back in 1975 I bought my first street bike, a Kawasaki. I loved it and my brother was envious. The next spring a dealer in the next county advertised leftovers of the same bike for 20% less than I had paid. We got all fired up and drove about an hour to that dealer to buy one for my brother. They agreed that the advertised price was correct but when they wrote it up they added dealer prep. It surprised me so much that I got angry, looked at my brother and said 'let's go'.

We walked about half a block and almost reached our car when the salesman actually came running down the street after us. :yes: We got the bike for the advertised price.

Deacon,

There's a 2009 with barely 2,000 miles on it near Dulles, asking $11,750. His asking price seems a bit high, but it's an asking price and the bike already has a Russell seat that can be tailored, rather than buying a new one. Plus, you'll be an hour from home, as opposed to 2 days, and still have the warranty. Check the DC or NOVA Craigslist.

pm me if you want/need company looking.

Bob

Damascus, Md

I suppose we all have stories where a seller tried to ding a buyer. One of mine: My brother was buying a house and consulted me a few times since I had been through that wringer a number of times. I advised him to ask (demand?) repeatedly for full disclosure of all costs and charges. So, he goes to the closing and has his pen out, when he finds another $275 tacked on for something I don't recall, but it was not previously disclosed. Bro calls me and says WTF do I do? I said, go back into the room and start gathering up your papers and head for the door. He said he didn't want to lose the house after investing so much time in the deal, etc. I told him he wouldn't - THEY didn't want to lose the deal even more! He went in grabbed his papers and was walking out when the objections began: Wait, where ya going? You're walking away over a measly $275? Brother said: it's not the money, its the principle. A few minutes later, with the new $275 fee deleted, he closed on the house.

Lesson: be ready to call bullshit and walk.

How do I Buy? - Research. Find the price I want to pay. Make no trades - Sell my bike privately. Offer the dealer a cash price out the door. Tell 'em I don't care how they write it up, I'm only paying my cash price. <snip>
+1

That is what I do. I research. When I bought my '09A, I went on Yamaha.com and printed out "damn near" every dealer in the state and then went down the list with a pen in hand. I also sourced other info such as Cycle trader ads, info from the good folks here, and whatever else.

I knew the best price I could find - probably a real good haggler could have got something better, but still, I found the best price in the state using the above method.

At my local dealer, I had this price in hand and told them that I didn't care how they wrote it up, this was the price I was willing to pay.

I didn't tell them this, but I probably would've gone ~$100 higher to stay local, but that didn't come up; they met the price.

If your local dealer is "hanging you up", then walk. My local made the decision within minutes, it was simple, can you make the deal or not. Later on, my salesman said that was probably the easiest deal he'd ever done...

Not to mention, if you bide your time, there are some good used bikes out there. With a bike like a FJR, it's not like reliability is an issue unless it's been badly abused, and even then...

Good luck!!

As long as we're this far off topic... I'll add my very positive dealer experience. Fall 2005 I've decided to go with a new 2006 FJR, the PDP is still in effect. The dealer, Moon Motors north of Minneapolis and about 50 miles from my home. I've chosen them to call first even though there are a few closer dealers because they've been a supporter of several Team Strange events and have a very good reputation for service. I've done my research on the forum here and know that D+H will sell an '06 A for $11,500. My target price for a local sale is $12,000 I figure it will be about $500 to get to and ride home from D+H. I call Moon ask their price on the FJR it's $13,000 on a MSRP of $13,499 I say I can travel out of state and get it for $11,500, he says how about $12,000, I say cool. I give him my CC info for the $500 deposit and it's done no BS, no threats to walk, no funny money extra charges just a simple deal and a sale. Maybe 5 minutes on the phone. That's Moon Motors in Monticello Minnesota, ask for John.

Possible newbie here...How in the world did you get them down to $13,195? I checked out a 2010 FJR and they quoted me $16,000. I'm trying to decide between a brand new 2008 for $12,600, the 2010 for $16,000 or a used 2007 with only 1850 miles for ~ $9,000. Not sure what I be giving up if I went with the 2007 used. Any help is appreciated.
Romney Cycle in Romney W. Virginia is advertising $13,195 on cycletrader.com. No extra charges. The price is the price.

https://www.cycletrader.com/find/listing/20...R1300A-96630688

I went with the new '08 for $10,700. I tried and tried to get them off the price. The best I could do was get a little more off the accessories. I decided that $12,300 with tags, tax, touring shield, Factory trunk and heated grips wasn't a bad deal and signed the paper work.

And now you got a great bike to enjoy! Once you get a couple thousand miles on the tires you'll forget about the dickering and just look forward to your next ride.

Latest posts