Do they rent feejers in Chandler, AZ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crash Cash

Reaction score
OK, so I'm in Orlando, FL, and a friend moved to Chandler some months ago, and I want to visit and see the sights.

First option is I can fly and rent a bike there, if they do that, and something other than a Harley, and it doesn't cost an arm, a leg, and both kidneys. Not really hep on the idea of paying $500 to have a fat old TSA guy finger my bunghole, but hey, ya pays ya money and ya takes ya chances.

Or of course I can ride out there. The only other long ride I've done is the 700mi to Knoxville for the Hoot. Now for the Hoot, I stayed at KOAs which sucked bigtime. I've never been in a hotel, so I don't have the slightest idea how to choose one, check in/out, and all that, and I don't want to end up in some roach pit to find my bike up on cinderblocks in the morning. I guess I can figure that out, but it'll be a trial by fire. I did that ride in one shot, and I was pretty much useless for a couple days afterwards.

On the good side for riding is on the way I get to see things like the Titan Missile Museum, Pima Air & Space Museum, Nat'l Museum-Naval Aviation, JSC visitor's center, etc etc.

The bike's in good shape and I have a set of tires I can throw on before I leave. I feel kind of shaky because I don't even know how long it's going to take to get out there, other than "more than a couple of days" and this is not appealing to my inner control freak. This is 4,200 miles round trip, so I think I better have my ducks in a row.

Now I think there's one or two forum guys in Chandler, even though they're real shy and quiet and keep to themselves... but maybe they might have an idea or two... Suggestions? Pros & cons I haven't thought of?

BeemerDons and SkooterG to the white courtesy phone please!

OH, you said quiet and bashful? :eek:

Ride it...you know you want to.

I took mine from CA back to PA last summer, the long way logging over 6500 miles. If you have never done a 5K mile road trip you don't know what you're missing. Hotels are easy. Look where the bikes are parked. Cruiser riders are good company too, just don't try to out-drink or out-eat them, or you might get a late start. I should know...that was me last year. :assassin:

IF you decide to fly and rent I highly recommend AZrides.com (in Scottsdale). They are a small independent shop that rents different bikes, check out their web site for bike selection.

My wife and I flew to Phoenix, jumped into a cab that took us right to AZrides where we rented (set via their web site) a Wing for 5 days and had a ball riding Northern AZ and New Mexico. They provided great state maps and tips on route selection. They take real good care of their bikes and were straight forward. Monica was great!

OR you can rent from Eagleriders.com

OR ride there...4,200 miles is a good trip!

Last edited by a moderator:
You can rent Harleys at Eagle Rider in Phoenix, but not anything else that I know of.
https://www.eaglerider.com Eagle Rider's main website. Subscribe to their "Hot Deals" offers. This is where they will discount bike rentals if you will ride it to a location that they want to move a bike too. I almost did this for the BMW Rally held in Johnson City, Tennessee back in 2009. They wanted a Harley-Davidson Road Glide moved from the Phoenix Rental Location to Knoxville and were going to cut the rental rate in half to me for my delivering it, would have also used it to ride to the Beemer Rally. My Son Seth and I took our BMW GS instead though.

https://www.eaglerider.com/scottsdalebmws/rentals.aspx You can rent Beemers: K1300GT, R1200GS, R1200RT and Honda GL1800 Gold Wing from BMW of Scottsdale. I was really considering a K1300GT for purchase last year, so I rented one from Eagle Rider franchise at BMW of Scottsdale for a day to rack up 500 miles and check it out. Great machine, but I ordered a new Yamaha Super Tenere 1200 instead.

https://www.eaglerider.com/phoenix/rentals.aspx Here are the H-D rentals, just down the street (100 yards!) from BMW of Scottsdale.

IF you decide to fly and rent I highly recommend AZrides.com (in Scottsdale). They are a small independent shop that rents different bikes, check out their web site for bike selection.

My wife and I flew to Phoenix, jumped into a cab that took us right to AZrides where we rented (set via their web site) a Wing for 5 days and had a ball riding Northern AZ and New Mexico. They provided great state maps and tips on route selection. They take real good care of their bikes and were straight forward. Monica was great!

OR you can rent from Eagleriders.com

OR ride there...4,200 miles is a good trip!
+1, Gunny; I'm with Bugnatr, I'd just ride here. https://www.azride.com/MotorcycleRental.html Monica rents FJR's for $99 a day and she's a super gal.

https://classic.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Orlando&1s=FL&1y=US&1l=28.538099&1g=-81.379402&1v=CITY&2c=Chandler&2s=AZ&2y=US&2l=33.306099&2g=-111.840599&2v=CITY I would definitely stop in New Orleans, just to look at Patriot Mike's FJR in person; that is on my bucket list, to see that monstrosity with my own eyes. Give SkooterG and Papa Chuy a weeks notice and we will organize a ride for you with the Local FJR Whack Jobs! Contact: [email protected] or Cell: 480-440-4666

BeemerDons and SkooterG to the white courtesy phone please!

OH, you said quiet and bashful? :eek:
Hey Don, have you called Skooty about the Death Valley ride and his being your room mate yet? Remember, wear three pairs of Levi's, one right on top of the other one, when you go to sleep at night. Also, sleep in the bed next to the window (unless you're on the second floor!) or by the door if you room with SkooterG! And, try not to get too nervous before you fall asleep, when the last thing that GregM says as he is turning out the lights: "I would rather hear a fat boy fart than a pretty girl sing!" jes' sayin'

Just three 700 mile days coming and going from Orlando to Chandler. When I am out on the road, due to being a cheap ass Irishman, I stay at the $29 a night Pakistani or Punjab owned Mom and Pop hotels. As an example, in Van Horn, Texas there is a $19 a night motel owned by a family from Bangladesh. I first discovered it a decade ago on my way to Nuevo Laredo to ride to San Miguel Allende and Guanajuato, Mexico. As I pulled off of Interstate 10, I could smell curry cooking. I followed my nose to the Patel's hotel and stayed there the first time for $19 a night; and, I still stay there whenever I cross Texas on a motorcycle. Plus, they always give me bowls of chicken curry and rice (or noodles) to eat; Indira Patel is a great cook! You know how copper wire was invented? Two Irishmen were fighting over a penny! jes' sayin'

If you have time, ride. If you have more time, take the blue roads where possible. Keep an eye on the weather. I have stayed at motels and camped. Very often the motel will allow you to park your bike either right outside your room, or in the front of the motel where the person on duty can keep an eye out for the bike. Ask. Also ask to see the room before you decide. If it is up to your standards, and the price is right take it. I also have a cable with a lock I use to secure the bike.

There is another MC rental - Sportbike Performance Center that has at least one Gen I FJR to rent. They are located in North Phoenix at 15810 N. Cave Creek Road - 602-569-3070. Their WEB site is https://www.azsportbikerentals.com. From Chandler to North Phoenix is 30-45 minutes via AZ101 freeway. Have a great trip.

On the good side for riding is on the way I get to see things like the Titan Missile Museum, Pima Air & Space Museum, Nat'l Museum-Naval Aviation, JSC visitor's center, etc etc.
About this time last year, I rode from California to visit my brother in Fort Lauderdale, visiting relatives along the way, spent a couple of days at Bike week in Daytona. I think it was almost 7,200 miles round trip. Here's a few sights I definitely would recommend:

- Air Force Armament Museum at Elgin AFB, then perhaps hit National Museum of Naval Aviation later that day. (Make sure you bring an appropriate safety vest to ride on a military base. They let me slide by without one, but they didn't have to be that nice).

- New Orleans. Lots to see, take a couple of days or so if you can. The National World War II Museum was total awesome, and just blew me away.

- The Caverns of Sonora outside of Sonora, TX. Happened to see their sign on the highway, so I stopped and took their two hour tour. It's a warm cave (71 degrees, 98% humidity) so the formations were much more intricate that varied than any of the many "cool" caves I've been to, and it was by far and away the most beautiful. See pics I took.

Highest daytime speed limit: western Texas 80 mph

Highest nighttime speed limit: New Mexico 75 mph

Friendliest Border Patrol guards: Check point just south of Vado, NM after sunset. (Q. "Are you a citizen of the United States?", "Yes sir, I am." ; Q. Are you cold?", "Yes sir, I am!" :) )

Anyway, if you have the opportunity to make a trip like this, go for it.

Nightshine, Thanks Sam! I have never been to the spots that you just mentioned, but they are now on my motorcycling "bucket list"!

Jim beat me to the AZ Sport bike rental shop, they have had one FJR I've seen in front of the shop (I live right behind them), though it hasn't been there lately (must be rented).