Electrical mystery / brake lights '06 FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking back on the original reason for Gene taking the bike to a "dealer" was for brake lights that were inop after a battery replacement. We'd have to guess but, since the "tech" was looking at electrical stuff, removal/disconnection of the Skene and any other accessories would be a logical place to start but, if that didn't bring back the brake lights, tracking the 12V starting at the sockets would make sense. Who knows what the "tech" did or did not do? This is one that will likely end up being what should have been a simple repair and got missed by a "tech" that didn't start with the simple stuff and now it has snowballed into a hot mess and a bike that has sustained damage. It'll be interesting to "see" what the next dealer finds. I just feel bad for Gene.
Well you're kind, and the sympathy is appreciated. I'm not gonna lose my temper over it, but I'll bet I lose a few more bucks before this is right again.

I agree, but steam in the empty headspace of an incompletely filled cooling system can cause the temperature to register as hot.
Disconnected fans could be an issue although I find that mine rarely come on unless ambient temperatures are warm and the bike hasn't been moving at all for at least several minutes. Don't know what conditions the OP was experiencing in terms of temperature and duration. He mentioned that the temperature soared "almost immediately" at a stop so that sounds less likely to be fans. At least the root cause for that behavior should be easy to troubleshoot - radiator fill level and/or fan disconnected/blown fuse etc.
Still, they really messed up and I agree that there is nothing they could do that would take as much as 18 hours! Perfectly reasonable to change bulbs and disconnect brake flasher and auxiliary lights when troubleshooting something like this although they should have been put back the way they were.
Yes and even if 18 hours was an exaggeration, I'm sure he put in some significant time and was genuinely unhappy that he couldn't fix it, but as others have said, when it's done, this is likely something soooooo basic as to be a "how in the actual pforque did he manage to miss THAT!?"

No motorcycle tech would claim to have worked on any bike for 18 hours and returned it to a customer in that condition. There is no cause, need or reason to drain coolant to work on an issue with brake lights. If there were, in fact, air trapped in the cooling system, it is more likely that the temp gauge would read no or very low bars since there would be no coolant contacting the sensor. That would also cause the fans to remain off. The fact that the temp goes high when stopped and takes longer to drop once moving again indicates that the fans are not working. Since the "tech" was looking at electrical stuff, it makes more sense that they inadvertently/unknowingly/stupidly disconnected the cooling fans and failed to fully test the bike once they were "done" with it. It saddens me to see you going through this Gene, but I am convinced that whoever you've had working on the bike is an incompetent boob. I sincerely hope that whoever you take it to next is able to resolve the issues (both new and old) to your satisfaction.
Thanx. Well, I'm looking around for a way to trailer it to a "Yamaha only" dealership in the Chicago suburbs. Tho they can't even look at it for a month yet. My car doesn't have a hitch, and the bed of a pick-up obv can be challenging. The local shop here in Ottawa is more of a motorcycle "store." Not so much and "official" or certified dealer. I have the sense that the young tech has maybe not been to Yamaha school. But I appreciate being able to to discuss it all with you guys! Ride safe!

Thanx. Well, I'm looking around for a way to trailer it to a "Yamaha only" dealership in the Chicago suburbs.
Don't think you can safely ride it there?
You might want to check the radiator fill level and check the fuse for the fans.
I would leave your brake flasher and auxiliary lights disconnected when you take it in. (Disconnection of accessories is the first thing most techs will do before trying to scope out an elusive electrical issue.)

Thanx. I have yet to check the radiator, but at the end of October it's harder to guarantee the weather here in northern IL. I have an electric jacket, but that feels like asking for trouble with the other electrical issues. It just feels more likely that I can get there for my scheduled app't with a trailer or a rented van. I believe I can rent a van for $100/day and figure a way to secure the bike inside...or so I think (rolling on the floor laughing emoji goes here)