Do you cover your bike, and if not, why not?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trmn8er

Reaction score
At the risk of having this topic already "covered" and getting my lips ripped off , I will ask the question. BTW, I did do a search, and either I am doing the search wrong, or there is little discussion about recommended motorcycle covers for the FJR.

I had the Yamaha Factory Racing Yamaha cover for my 04 R1, and ALWAYS kept it covered in the garage, being sure to make sure the bike was clean before I covered it. It kept the sunlight off it, reasonably clean and dust free, and gave it moisture protection as well. My question is this:

1. Do you cover your bike?

2. If not, exactly why not?

3. If so, what brand of cover, and is it made specifically for the FJR or a generic "one size fits all" cover?

Thanks in advance...

B)

Last edited by a moderator:
At the risk of having this topic already "covered" and getting my lips ripped off , I will ask the question. BTW, I did do a search, and either I am doing the search wrong, or there is little discussion about recommended covers motorcycle covers for the FJR.
You're in luck. We just stopped the whole "ripping off the lips" thing. Unfortunately, we have now started cutting something else off.........

Not a lot of traffic on this subject historically. My search did find the following thread which has some info on specific covers. CLICKY HERE

Bikes are not made of chocolate. If it can't deal with a little humidity or dust, it should have opted to become an armchair instead of a motorcycle.

Mine lives in the garage at night (uncovered) but I did cover it at work during the day due to the potential sun damage. I have a Dowco cover, and by the discoloration of the cover over the years, I'm sure it helped keep my bike in better condition had it not been covered.

I park mine in the garage at home so I never cover it unless I leave it for an extended period of time (i.e. a week or more).

At work it sits outsite uncovered.

I got the NR 1/2 UV 2000 cover and only cover it when I park it outside for the whole day - work//travel. I do it to protect it from sun/rain and to keep ignorant turds from screwing with it! Stays uncovered in the garage at home.

Mine gets housed in the garage at night...so, no cover. I do cover it w/ a Nelson-Rigg UV 1/2 cover on overnite trips...as much for security as for weather protection. The cover packs small...that's why I like it.

I only cover my bike when I'm not riding it. I have the Nelson Rigg Defender 2000... a very good cover with UV protection and vents. I have the OEM shield and no top case. An XL fits perfect. With a larger shield and/or a top case... you would need the XXL. It pretty much takes up a side case when stored. I'll probably get a Geza half-cover for travelling. Tonker has them for $60 right now.

cover at tonker

It's a tool, not a jewel.

She sits in the garage uncovered. And I don't cover her while parked at work or on the road; tried it, just too much hassle.

But I do wash it. Am I gay?

In the garage when at home, otherwise exposed to the elements. Maybe it's just laziness, but I don't want to make time to cover and uncover every time I ride. If the bike can travel at speed in the weather and take the heat from the asphalt and the engine, then I don't worry about it when it's sitting still in the parking lot.

Parked in garage, one with Dowco cover and one with Defender 2000 (I have a 2 and 5 year old...boys :glare: ...with lots of toys in the same area...and they are climbers). The defender is easier to work with and the dowco is like a burlap sack.

Just cover it for winter storage (unless you dont have a garage for overnight). Ride it till the cows come home. Wear it out (good luck with that one), then buy a new one and start over again. If it cant weather the elements, who the hell needs to own it!!!! I guess you could take the HD approach, i hear they get ridden occasionally on sundays.

GreyGoose (I think that was my first attempt at a stab........I better quit reading skooterg's posts)

Am I gay?
20050103l40l40not_13_I_SCO.jpg
Probably. :)

I use a nelson rigg dust cover in the garage; its cotton and breathes so it can be thrown over right after a ride no problem; also a nelson rigg uv 1/2 cover when touring.

It's a tool, not a jewel.
She sits in the garage uncovered. And I don't cover her while parked at work or on the road; tried it, just too much hassle.

But I do wash it. Am I gay?
I have a trailer I use to carry a down comforter and pillow for my '05 when I'm not riding her. :p

Seriously, though, she's in the garage at home or under a carport at work, so I don't worry about it. But even if there weren't carports here, I wouldn't worry about it. There's nothing wrong with a little dust on the bike. If I get tired of her being dirty, I'll have ShinyPartsUp wash her for me. :lol:

Bob

Rancho Cucamonga, CA (Everything's in boxes except the bike!)