Do you cover your bike, and if not, why not?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the same cover as above. I use it daily for sun protection. I agree with the advantage of people leaving alone what they cannot see. Disadvantage: acts like a sail during monsoon, causing tip over. Advantage protected the paint on the saddlebag with only minor scratches.

I hate to beat a dead horse . . but what "size" is this bike? Most people are talking about the brand and model, but many aren't mentioning sizes? Is this generally a "medium" or "L" or "XL" or "XXL"? Or "large touring bike" or should you be safe and go with a "full dresser" size?

I would like one cover and one cover only--one that would protect the bike from dust and cats in the garage, and then hopefully that same cover would work on the road to keep it out of the sun, and at least deflect some or most of the water.

Can I do that for less than 50 bucks?

1. I have a garage

2. I live in California

Therefore, no cover in the garage and a half cover to hide the farkles on the road.

:blink: The FJR is always in a garage and when on the road, I just take the GPS unit into the hotel with me at night.

At the risk of having this topic already "covered" and getting my lips ripped off , I will ask the question. BTW, I did do a search, and either I am doing the search wrong, or there is little discussion about recommended motorcycle covers for the FJR.
I had the Yamaha Factory Racing Yamaha cover for my 04 R1, and ALWAYS kept it covered in the garage, being sure to make sure the bike was clean before I covered it. It kept the sunlight off it, reasonably clean and dust free, and gave it moisture protection as well. My question is this:

1. Do you cover your bike?

2. If not, exactly why not?

3. If so, what brand of cover, and is it made specifically for the FJR or a generic "one size fits all" cover?

Thanks in advance...

B)
Nope. It's in a garage at home when I'm not riding it. I ride 99% of the year, my bike is my primary vehicle, and I do in excess of 12k a year just in commuting, not factoring in trips, joy-riding, errands, etc. In short, my bike's going to get more road chips and scratches than anything it's likely to get from sitting. I have neither the time, money nor energy for garage queens.

I hate to beat a dead horse . . but what "size" is this bike? Most people are talking about the brand and model, but many aren't mentioning sizes? Is this generally a "medium" or "L" or "XL" or "XXL"? Or "large touring bike" or should you be safe and go with a "full dresser" size?
I would like one cover and one cover only--one that would protect the bike from dust and cats in the garage, and then hopefully that same cover would work on the road to keep it out of the sun, and at least deflect some or most of the water.

With the Tour King, they use the same size for the ST1300 and the FJR. IIRC it sells for under $50.

Last edited by a moderator:
geza_cover_001.jpg

My 06 FJR is covered all the time. Parked or trailered.

The GEZA motorcycle cover is made of black stretchy material that covers the upper part of the bike.

It has bungee loops for trailering up to 85 MPH.

Protects the bike from bugs, bird dodoo, sun, and is rain resistant.

On trips, I add another full-size rainproof cover.

Note: Shown without bags installed.

SilverStreak

copy_of_fjr1300ae_031.jpg

Try the Nelson-Rigg UV-2000 and get the XL size. It's the only cover I use now days.
Thanks. Just ordered one. It's your arse if it ain't right! :p
I've had the NR2K since Nov. of '04, and use it a lot. I don't have a garage, so the bike is always outside. It's my primary vehicle, year-round. If you aren't careful (I wasn't), the plastic, triangular vents on either side get brittle w/ age and when it's cold. So, be carefull when folding it up... put the 2 vents together and fold the rest of the cover around them.

I park in garage at work and at home so no cover on bike now. Before making room in the home garage I was parking on street so I purchased a cover from Pep Boys. Don't know the brand but it worked out pretty well for weather, UV protection, etc. Even survived some strong storms. Since parked on street overnight I thought about putting some 3M reflective tape on the cover so it could be seen better. Never got around to it though as I got ot in the garage as soon as I could.

One thing I hate about new covers are the fuzzies they leave on the bike and it does trap some dirt during strong storms but a small price to pay for protecting a nice bike like this :blink: .

Use a Geza cover when on trips at motels, etc. At home uncovered in garage. Should be noted that the Geza is water repellent not water proof. You'll need to Scotch Guard it. In a real downpour your bike will get wet. Having said that I would get it again. Sorry not sure of the size I got it as a gift when I was riding a Concours & the same one works well on the FJR. It packs fairly small.

Last edited by a moderator:
Target has motorcycle covers for $19.99. I have ine and it works great. Covers all the way down to the tires and doesn't look as fugly as Bounces top only cover:)

I cover mine with a blanket in the garage when not in use because I don't want the low-lifes that cruise the neighborhood to see it when the door is open.