Do you have a Zumo 660 GPS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pawtracks

Reaction score
Not sure how many of you may have a Zumo 660 but I stumbled upon an important update.

"Today, Garmin released a free, mandatory GPS software update to correct a software issue that has been discovered to cause select GPS devices to repeatedly attempt to update GPS firmware, and then either shut down or no longer acquire GPS satellite signals"

Hate to see one of your on the road when your Zumo turns into a brick...

Link

Not sure how many of you may have a Zumo 660 but I stumbled upon an important update.
"Today, Garmin released a free, mandatory GPS software update to correct a software issue that has been discovered to cause select GPS devices to repeatedly attempt to update GPS firmware, and then either shut down or no longer acquire GPS satellite signals"

Hate to see one of your on the road when your Zumo turns into a brick...

Link
Note that this affects a number of different Garmin models, the Zumo 660 included among them.

Unfortunately, they have yet to release the update for any except the 7X5 models. I *just now* again plugged my 660 into their webupdater and nothing was available.

The problem stems from the fact that at Midnight on June 21 the GPS network changed the way it deals with time (I gather they 'ran out of time' in the old system).

The mechanism has been defined, accepted and publicised for TEN YEARS and even so, some chipset manufacturer they used for these devices never took this into account. Obviously the SIRF-III doesn't suffer from this issue because those navigators aren't mentioned.

The good news is that Garmin's supplier for these units uses a programmed chipset, so the system can be updated.

The bad news is that *someone* at Garmin didn't do proper testing and as a result their reputation and bottom line will be hit with a lot of units to rework.

Last edited by a moderator: