Do you wash

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use Meguiars NTX quick detail to keep it clean.

A through wash with S100 takes place if I run into rain.

Wash before multi-day trip. If it's been a particularly buggy/scummy day, I'll look for a wand wash that night. Wash when I get back. I find that $2.00 and two minutes down at Brown Bear or whatever the wash is called where you live gets the job 95% done. Don't care about the other 5%.

Looks like we're a fastidious bunch. Like the idea of pulling the paper towels before washing. Aseptic technique, I think it's called.

Anyway, just got some plexus, Meguires works, but i really have to concentrate on the bugs, even after softening them up.

Brings up a question. High Pressure Washers what do you think of using, pro's and con's. Yah its great if you have a dirty ride to clean quick. But like on the FJR I see so many areas on the bike where lubricated areas could be washed out if a high pressure washer is used. Or is not used properly!! I have and use a high pressure washer for other things but I am very hesitant to get it near my FJR. I have to remind my kids when their using it washing muddy MX bikes not to hit critical areas on the bike causing possible damage.

I'll usually wash it before and after a trip. In both cases, I give the bike/fairing a good check for anything that looks out of place, make sure bolts aren't loose, and that things are the way they should be. After a trip I'm also looking for tire wear, road related impact damage, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I clean and check everything after every ride. I can't see spending 13k on a bike as nice as the FJR and not keep it sparkling. I just couldn't sleep knowing that my bike is out in the garage needing a bath. I even clean her up every night when I am out on the road. Just anal I guess. :p

One year and two months since I bought her. Never washed. She's bug mashed, rain smuttered, bird spackled, pissed on, farted on, spilled on(my bad.....oh, beer abuse, too), and spit on.....I spit on things from time to time. A clean bike is a gay bike. :p

I clean and check everything after every ride. I can't see spending 13k on a bike as nice as the FJR and not keep it sparkling. I just couldn't sleep knowing that my bike is out in the garage needing a bath. I even clean her up every night when I am out on the road. Just anal I guess. :p
+100.....The Microtel in Robbinsville NC will give you a bucket full of warm soapy water.....an arm full of towels...and let you use the hose in the parking lot so that when Killboy takes your picture on the Dragon, you can see the double yellow reflecting off that purdy blue FJR

02499.jpg

A clean bike is a gay bike. :p
Call me GAY...no I mean call my bike GAY....No not that....nevermind :glare:

Last edited by a moderator:
I wash my bike when it looks dirty enough that I'd rather spend the time washing than riding. Usually that's after a long trip to get the bugs off before the acid eats into the paint.

Wash?? Setting at 42 K on the speedometer it's been washed in the rain but otherwise no. It has had several micro fiber cloths dirtied up but wash!!.

My ol sea daddy says you only use Pledge, that’s right Pledge the wood polish. It works great with no waxy buildup and with the anti static cling dirt and dust comes right off. Bugs, takes them right off. You can find it any where for about a $1.80, and did I tell you how well it works on a windshield you wouldn't believe me.

Take a spot and give it a try.

Frugal but not cheep The Rat.