Dobeck Performance TFI

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VTFJR13

Reaction score
I have adjusted my CO many times and each time adding a little more juice. I was up to 30 points higher than stock and it was feeling alot better than stock when just cruising through town at a steady pace but it still wasn't great. So I finally caved and bought a Dobeck performance TFI controller. It is alot less money than a power commander and I like the idea I can adjust it along side of the road with a little flat head screwdriver. I also installed some of those new V&H CS one cans which I think our an awesome looking muffler. They have a really nice low tone but not loud at all. So the TFI is very simple to install. You just unplug your fuel injectors and plug the injectors into the TFI harness then the TFI plugs into the injector and a ground wire and your done. Then it has 4 pods to adjust. They give you base settings for the FJR but these are just starting points you can fine tune it to your liking. I'm very pleased with the results. It is very interesting to read the difference(on Dobeck's website) between the TFI and how it works and the Dynojet power commanders and how they work. Two different ways of doing the same thing more or less. But I don't have to carry a laptop with me to make changes and if you turn the pods all the way to the 1 oclock position then it's like the TFI isn't even there.

link to the website https://www.dobeckperformance.com/shopping/viewproduct.asp?pid=115

couple pics with the new mufflers

VanceHinesCSones003.jpg

VanceHinesCSones002.jpg

I love the CS-Ones as well. I've had the ceramic black ones on for a few months now and am really happy with them. Like you say, nice deep growl at idle, but not loud at all at cruising speed. How much difference did the FI controller make? I'm running the stock air cleaner. I'm sure I'm a bit lean but it still seems to run pretty well. Did you notice a big difference with the controller? Running cooler, faster warm up, smoother? Just wondering if you feel the controller was worth the $.

I had one of those on my 01 954rr. If you're running irridium plugs, be very careful not to get the ratio too rich. I wasted a whole track day because the bike wouldn't start after going through tech. Didn't know why at the time, but the plugs were fouled out. Good thing it was a rainy, crappy day or I'd really been pissed. Ended up buying a PC3 and getting it custom mapped. Hope you have better luck.

... be very careful not to get the ratio too rich. I wasted a whole track day because the bike wouldn't start after going through tech. Didn't know why at the time, but the plugs were fouled out.
You're lucky you were too far on the rich side rather than the lean side :)

And that's exactly why I think these "so easy to use because you can just twist knobs on the side of the road without a computer!" devices are not a good idea. It leads you to believe that you have the ability to easily tune your bike, but really can't tune it unless you have the ability to analyze the exhaust to read air:fuel ratios. Then you need to be able to get readings at all throttle/RPM combinations and make use of the limited (4) adjustments as best you can to tune to desired air:fuel ratios throughout. You can't tune by "feel".

I had a DOBECK TFI on mr FJR for a year and found it great. I used their FJR setting then tweeked a bit. Got good power and mileage.

When I changed to TB's exhaust, I installed a PCV which works great, but any tweeking is done with a computer. The TFI's ability to tweek for the conditions you encounter is something I miss.

... be very careful not to get the ratio too rich. I wasted a whole track day because the bike wouldn't start after going through tech. Didn't know why at the time, but the plugs were fouled out.

And that's exactly why I think these "so easy to use because you can just twist knobs on the side of the road without a computer!" devices are not a good idea. It leads you to believe that you have the ability to easily tune your bike, but really can't tune it unless you have the ability to analyze the exhaust to read air:fuel ratios. Then you need to be able to get readings at all throttle/RPM combinations and make use of the limited (4) adjustments as best you can to tune to desired air:fuel ratios throughout. You can't tune by "feel".
Well if you buy the Dobeck TFI from Dale Walker he has done the dyno time with it and has his own specific settings. I emailed him hoping he would share those with me but no dice. I got my at a discount price otherwise I would have bought one from Dale just for that reason he has done the dyno time to get it dailed in. But I think we can all agree that at low throttle/rpm's the FJR is very lean so adding any small amount of fuel is a good thing.

I love the CS-Ones as well. I've had the ceramic black ones on for a few months now and am really happy with them. Like you say, nice deep growl at idle, but not loud at all at cruising speed. How much difference did the FI controller make? I'm running the stock air cleaner. I'm sure I'm a bit lean but it still seems to run pretty well. Did you notice a big difference with the controller? Running cooler, faster warm up, smoother? Just wondering if you feel the controller was worth the $.
mab864 I basically bought the TFI controller to help dail out the leaness we all feel in 1,2,3 gears just cruising through town at like 25-35 mph. I can't say I have noticed it running any cooler. But I can go through town now in 2nd or 3rd gear and just hold steady throttle and it doesn't surge it is nice and smooth like it should be.

Exactly! That's why I ended up with the PC3 and custom map. The "Techlusion unit"(what they called it at the time) did improve things on the 954 cause it suffered badly from leaness and the throttle was like a light switch. Practically impossible to ease back on the gas mid corner. But...I went too far not knowing it was going to ruin an expensive set of irridium plugs and my day at the track. Even if you get a PC3 or 5, you should really get it custom mapped on a dyno because no 2 bikes are exactly the same and using someone else's map will only get you close.

I had a DOBECK TFI on mr FJR for a year and found it great. I used their FJR setting then tweeked a bit. Got good power and mileage.

When I changed to TB's exhaust, I installed a PCV which works great, but any tweeking is done with a computer. The TFI's ability to tweek for the conditions you encounter is something I miss.
Once you get the PC5 mapped correctly you shouldn't need to make any adjustments, the bike's sensors and ECU will compensate for altitude, temp, etc. The laws of physics can't be cheated, your bike won't run as well in 95 degree temps with 90% humdity at 8k ft. as it will at 65 degrees with 5% humidty at sea level no matter how much tweaking you do. Doing it by 'feel' w/o knowing your air/fuel ratio can get you in trouble.

Ok so I just wanted to report back after I had a little riding time with the TFI controller and I can say WOW! It has made the bikes fuel injection work the way it should from the factory. I did a 920 mile trip this past weekend to Maine and had all kinds of conditions and the bike ran great. I don't feel anymore hiccups when your off the gas and back on the gas in corners. I can run thru town in 2nd or 3rd gear at a slow and steady throttle and no more surging.Fuel mileage doesn't seem to suffer at all. I know alot of people feel the Power Commander is the only way to go but I'm very please with the Dobeck performance TFI.

I'm glad it's working out for you! :D Are you running irridium or regular plugs? I'd stick with regular ones, the irridiums are much easier to foul. Jes' saying. ;)

Once you get the PC5 mapped correctly you shouldn't need to make any adjustments, the bike's sensors and ECU will compensate for altitude, temp, etc. The laws of physics can't be cheated, your bike won't run as well in 95 degree temps with 90% humdity at 8k ft. as it will at 65 degrees with 5% humidty at sea level no matter how much tweaking you do. Doing it by 'feel' w/o knowing your air/fuel ratio can get you in trouble.
During installation, I spent about an hour on the phone with the 'tech' at Power Commander. He gave me a tutorial on how to adjust their program at highway speeds to lower fuel consumption. Nothing too technical....I will never be a useless pickles...., but enough to understand a bit of tweeking.

I am happy enough now, I think it is time to part with my TFI.

I've run the Dobeck unit for 25,000 mi and use iridium plugs without a problem. Current set of plugs has over 16000 miles. I also run a Muzzy 4 into one exhaust.