Does Sirius or XM have to run through a radio?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheAxeman

Reaction score
At the risk of sounding stupid and asking a probably overasked question, do the Sirius or XM satellite radios all work through an FM radio or are there models which can hook directly into an autocom? I have them in my cages but they all play through the existing radio.

Don't think Sirius has a true portable unit yet that plays real time broadcasts, but, there are a few XM units that can run on their own without going through an FM radio. The ones I know of are the MyFi, TAO XM2Go, and the Pioneer AirWare.

The SkyFi2 radio has a headphone out jack but you cant control the volume. Its meant for direct connects into car radio's that have aux inputs. What I do is run my SkyFi2 through a MixIt which allows me to control the volume and also listen to my radar detector at the same time. Works well for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
XM Roady and Roady2 models have headphone jacks, and allow you to set the output volume from the jack. Setting the volume isn't meant to be done often - you have to go through a few menu layers to get to it - but it does allow you to set the headphone output volume to better match the amp/mixer you're connecting to.

I have a Roady2 that I run through my Starcom1 intercom system along with my GPS. I get more volume and clarity than I need. I did add a ground loop isolator to get rid of the electric whine, but I have been using it for a year and I even wear ear plugs and the sound is great.

My Starmate Replay (which I haven't hooked up yet) has fm out and audio out..

So if I understand it correctly here goes.

With it using the transmitter you only need to set the fm channel to say 88.1 and it receives.

Second option, you can run a rca cable from the fm out to I guess aux in on your home radio so you don't have to worry about any interference, good reception...

Third is the audio out, Now comes a answer and question.

A). The manual says connect to POWERED speakers or home stereo.

B ). My question is, Does a Starcom meet the "Powered" speaker requirement???

Don't think Sirius has a true portable unit yet that plays real time broadcasts
Geeze! That sounds like Sirius only plays using tape delay. HA! Some mighty big assumptions being posted to this thread.
Sirius receivers are just like XM receivers except the voltage for the XM requires a step-down to lower than 12v. Many manufacturers make the exact same receiver for receiver for Sirius and for XM. Pick your poison as each works and looks the same.

The auto kit for my X-Act has the audio out jack that I then plug in to the patch cord that I was using for my MP3 player before it. No change ups needed. The auto kit is just a "cradle" that then gives antenna out, power out, and audio out jacks. You can either broadcast using the FM modulator or via the patch cord (audio out).

Simple stuff. Just do a google search for Sirius or XM and then look at the specs sheets for the receivers and accessories.

For all intents and purposes, the hardware between XM and Sirius is a toss up. Programming and subscriptions (discounts for 2 years and lifetime memberships out there for Sirius) are what make the difference. Music selections for Sirius as well as the news and talk sold me on Sirius. If you're into sports, then one will have the ball games and the other will have NASCAR.

Go to cyclegadgets and look at the sirius streamer GT. It has its own built in amp with volume control, no fm radio needed. I have one on my FJR and its the balls. I have it hooked up to my FRS X2 with a 1/8 in duel ended plug I got at rat shack with the antena on my clutch res. VERY COOL B) Dwayne

Geeze! That sounds like Sirius only plays using tape delay. HA! Some mighty big assumptions being posted to this thread.
From what I understand, Sirius doesn't have a portable unit that plays realtime broadcasts, rather, it's streamed content. If I'm wrong, tell me which model it is.

I'm just going from memory when I was looking around not long ago and the salesman told me there wasn't one.

I to have the Streamer GT on my bike running through an Autocom Pro M1. My complaint is this, and hopefully you guys can help me, since the unit isn't ran through a radio system there is no adjustment for treble and bass. I tend to get more treble and not enough bass. Is there an amplifier I can use to make these adjustments? Or, are there ear buds I can use that will create more bass? :unsure:

From what I understand, Sirius doesn't have a portable unit that plays realtime broadcasts, rather, it's streamed content. If I'm wrong, tell me which model it is.

I'm just going from memory when I was looking around not long ago and the salesman told me there wasn't one.
Streaming is a protocol used for audio and most internet (radio) websites use streaming technology. As far as I understand it is still "real time".

Maybe I don't understand your question.

Edited: To be a little more precise Streaming is a "compression" protocol...

Your right about no tremble/bass controls. I dont find it an issue, Just a little background music to listen to. I dont have it blasting to loud anyways. Dwayne

Hey Banditat1200,

Do you think a Mix It could help with the treble/bass thing?

Does anyone know if this can make a difference? :unsure:

Hey Banditat1200,
Do you think a Mix It could help with the treble/bass thing?

Does anyone know if this can make a difference? :unsure:
MixIt is an fancy Y with an pre-amp. No tone controls. It's a great product and I continue to use the heck out of mine, but the tone control is usually a function of your main amp.