Does the FJR encourage faster riding?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most certainly - matter of fact I just got bagged by a State Trooper doing 95mph - that was after I cooked some speed from 110. My last bike was a Vulcan 1600 that I would never even approah those kind of speeds - it just didn't feel as good nor was it as smooth. 80 seems to be my prefered cruising speed nowadays.

Hard to tell with the FJR. It is still in break in mode. I am sure I will go fast with it. But I do that on/in everything I ride/drive. Coming from sportbikes, I should say that I have slowed down. Fastest I went on a rocket was 150 mph. I have hadthe V-rod at 135. Stupid, I know. Insert STFD here....

I do find that on the FJR I can enjoy riding a little more. It is whisper quiet and I tend to slow down and enjoy the scenery. I can even turn my head and talk to Rose without having to sream at here. The V-rod is so loud that I can't hear myself think, and on the road I am not up as high s on the FJR and don't do the whole scenery thing. I am sure I will look down and see 90 someday.

Michael

Last edited by a moderator:
Most diffently, I had HD Faboy, the fastest I think I went was about 70 and I thought my teeth was going to fall out, the first day on the FJR I hit 80 without any fear.

Um.......yes.

Definitely. Absolutely. Positively.

Especially on back roads - the bike just wants to run.

Having done 175+ mph in the straights and really silly things laid over in the twisties, the FJR is a welcome relief back to sanity. It's a great all-around sport tourer, but it is neither fast nor nimble compared to the race replicas I have left behind, and good riddance to be honest with you.

- Murph

Came off of a Suzuki Intruder and can say, yes, I do find myself going faster. Especially if I am passing and already at freeway speeds, this thing will hit felony quick if your not watching it. B)

I totally agree...80-85 seems to be the perfect speed the FJR wants to cruse at. Although I often look down after getting on the highway to see the needle at 100. Then I just bring it down a little.

mine seems to be comfortable at 90. I came off the old Concours and before that a 750 Yam. Both bikes felt like they were going to blow up at 85. i have to watch the needle alot more on the FJR. When we came back from bike week, there was a stretch we were cruising at 105. My buddy was on a st1300. We had dropped in behind some cars in the fast lane and didn't realize we were going so fast until i motioned for him to look at the speedo. We never saw the rest of our group on Hardley Ablesons until we got back to work, oddly enough!!!

Nope. After a HD and 3 Gold Wings I find that I ride closer to the speed limit than in the past. As with the STi, if you know the vehicle can do it, then the urge to prove it isn't there.

Like when someone in a riced-out Honda Civic pulls up next to the STi and tries to lure me into a street race. I smile and go on my way. There's nothing to prove.

As with the STi, if you know the vehicle can do it, then the urge to prove it isn't there.
When the S.O. got her Blue Pearl WRX I happened to ride with her in the country and she casually said to me, "I could be going 100, if I wanted to." Of course, she didn't/doesn't (at least, not while I was along).

As a contrary comment -- the FJR is very comfortable at (or near) most highway speed limits in high gear. That's a very important capability for me. Some bikes that have narrower power characteristics and more gears (the latter are needed because of the former) are just not comfortable at or near rural two-lane speeds in top gear. I prefer top gear for the open road -- '++' FJR.

If coming off owning a crotch rocket, like I did, I'd say it leads me to riding more relaxed and not worrying about corners too much.
Interesting.

Now that said I would assume if I came of riding a Goldwing I'd leaner her over all the time.
Not coming off a Wing (a Royal Star Tour Deluxe) and I'm constantly trying to lean the FJR more cause it's *so* much fun! :)

Kinda like going from a fat girl to a hot model! :lol:
LOL Yup - I loved the "fat girl" but come on...Hot is hot! :)

I came from a long line of Yamaha crotch rockets myself. Thankfully, I am no longer able to handle that position for more than 2 min. :headbonk:

Then the FJR came along.........it has everything I want in a bike :rofl:

Comfort

Power

Handling

Power

Comfort

Power

Handling

I can't help giggling like a school boy each time I hit a twisty stretch of road.

Sometimes I guess I do. Just yesterday on the way home from work a lage chevy deisel came flying up my backside. I move over to let him by. I was doing 75. I rolle on the throttle slowly to follow him and soon was doing 110. He must have had a fuzz buster because this was through in town interstate. I would not have dreamed he was going that fast but he kept it up for a while so I backed off and followed way back. Of course I did kind of pass him a little just to see his suprise. I don't think I'll try to follow again. Things can get crazy.

Looks to be unanimous for us ex-sportbike riders. I ride much more sanely on the FJR than I did on my last bike (Honda CBR1100XX Super Blackbird). For me, I believe it results from the seating position more than a difference in power. The FJR is not down a lot on power compared to the Blackbird, but the upright seating position on the FJR is just more conducive to sane cruising. For some reason, the crouch on the Blackbird just triggers the "go fast" in me.

I have been riding since the age of five, everything from sport, dirt, cruiser. The last couple of bike I had was an 01 Bandit and an 04 Roadstar, the bandit was a sport touring, but it just didn't have the feel of the FJR, and I hated the Roadstar, my legs were killing me two hours into the ride. I traded both bikes and some money for the 06 FJR. I have 22,000 miles on it since. I do not wear anything less than my Shoei X11, Joe Rocket Phoenix Jacket with armor, Joe Rocket gloves, jeans, and Tour Master riding boots. I used to wear shorts and tennis shoes on the Roadstar. This little rocket that I have now, takes this old fat guy back to my younger GSXR days. I become a kid again with little worries when I am on the FJR.

Yes and no. I use the added FJR 300-500cc over my last bikes (Vstrom and VFR) in straight line accelerations. But the Feej is a longer and bigger bike - so I don't like to push it in the tight twisties like I used to do on the other bikes.

Scott

I think the FJR just rides so smooth that you never notice that you are doing triple digits. I do my best to keep it at 80mph (funny how that seems slow now...) but I still catch myself pushing 100 when I'm not paying attention. It is a heavy bike but fairly nimble for its size, I generally keep up with just about everyone I ride with except the ones with a death wish and I'm not too far behind them! B)

Coming from the zx-10 I was disappointed when I experienced the head shake at 135 on the FJ :p .... granted I was in full comfort mode with the screen all the way up.

Overall I tend to ride much more relaxed on this machine, but had to add the cc to maintain highway speeds.

YES YES YES, Been riding for 30 years and only owned cruisers before the FJR. with them, 70mph was a decent cruise speed and I rarely went much over. Fej, 80 - 85 always and much faster on occation. At 140, the Fej is more stable then anything I've ownned in the past at 70!!!