Dog Bone Suspension Swapping Guide

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess my original question has been somewhat lost. I am still wondering if the 1.25" riser will allow the tire to clear the ground while on the centerstand, and if so, by how much?

But, the center stand still works (on flat ground) right?

Plus, the center stand can easily be "fixed" by adding additional steel pads to the bottom of the feet.

I'd just leave the side stand with the additional lean as that can come in handy on off-camber parking spots.

I just added my 5/8 inch rise from distributionjester dot com and this took all of 15 minutes using my easy weasy method. The hardest part was putting the bike on the center stand and I am getting pretty good at it now, now that I angle my body to the right. So why was it so easy for me, I will tell you.

1. Put bike on center stand.

2. Loosen dogbone attach bolts and nuts (4 places, top and bottom each side)(a wrench will be required to hold the bolt head end to keep it from spinning).

3. Using a floor jack, gently raise the jack until just contacting the lower rear of the right swing arm section, and then continue to raise the swing arm section until the doglink bolts will rotate freely.

4. Remove the lower bolts, nuts, and washers.

5. As the top dogbone bolts will interfere with the center stand, you need to remove the lower shock mount bolt, nut, and washer.

6. Rotate the lower shock mount until you can access the upper dogbone fasteners, and remove the bolts, nuts, and washers.

7. Install the new upper dogbones using the retained bolts, washers, and nuts.

8. Install the lower shock mount using retained bolt, washer, and nut.

9. Raise or lower the floor jack until the lower dogbone bolts can be easily inserted.

10.Secure the lower dogbones using bolts, washers, and nuts.

11.Lower the floor jack and you are done.

I have not ridden it yet, but the bike is way easier to get on the center stand and I still have clearance under my rear tire when on the stand. No front support is required and you only raise the swing arm a smidge (technical term), so the bike is still stable on the center stand.

Last edited by a moderator: