Don't Ask, Don't Tell

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wanted to post a cheap fix I ran across.
I was at Wally World today (yes, I do know that it is hell on Earth...yes I do know I'm sending US jobs to China) and came across two products that claim to fix minor scratches (I made some scratches in my side bag finish trying to remove the etching) and slight "hazing". Could they mean etching and oxidation, I wonder?

The first product, at a buck-eighty-five, was Kit "Scratch Out". The second was eight bucks and change from Nu Finish. I decided to try the el cheapo product first. Sonofabitch! It worked. Etching gone, small scratches gone.

For really tiny scratches or swirls in your clear coat, or etching from bird poop, I'd have to recommend Kit's "Scratch Out". Who knew?
Ari, while not personally familiar with this brand of stuff, it sounds like glaze. If so, go back and wax over the side case as glaze will be washed off after just a few washings. Glaze is good stuff, it just needs to be sealed in with some wax. Glad you found the easy fix.

Just wanted to post a cheap fix I ran across.

I was at Wally World today (yes, I do know that it is hell on Earth...yes I do know I'm sending US jobs to China) and came across two products that claim to fix minor scratches (I made some scratches in my side bag finish trying to remove the etching) and slight "hazing". Could they mean etching and oxidation, I wonder?

The first product, at a buck-eighty-five, was Kit "Scratch Out". The second was eight bucks and change from Nu Finish. I decided to try the el cheapo product first. Sonofabitch! It worked. Etching gone, small scratches gone.

For really tiny scratches or swirls in your clear coat, or etching from bird poop, I'd have to recommend Kit's "Scratch Out". Who knew?
Ari, while not personally familiar with this brand of stuff, it sounds like glaze. If so, go back and wax over the side case as glaze will be washed off after just a few washings. Glaze is good stuff, it just needs to be sealed in with some wax. Glad you found the easy fix.
Thanks for the tip. I'm completely clueless about paint and clear coat and stuff. Both products say to wash and then wax after use. Not sure if I would have actually done it without your post. So, thanks. I'm assuming it's okay to do this tomorrow?

I've had mixed results with the KIT 'Scratch Out'. My brother-in-law uses it to 'fix' E-bay electric guitars and resell them. He swears by it. :) On the other hand I've tried to use it on my cars and trucks and have had very little luck. :( What color did you say your bike was? Maybe that makes the difference. Good Luck and thanks for the tip! ;)

There is an absolutely super product that a guy makes here in Jersey called Ultra Finish. Best I've ever used for polishing out scratches and the like. Expensive (about $22 a can) in liquid form. Been using it on quality vehicles since my auto detailing days. Use it and Plexis exclusively on the FJR.

Best place to buy is at an auto swapmeet. He doesn't sell in stores. I'll be going to Englishtown next week in anyone wants any.

Walt

I've had mixed results with the KIT 'Scratch Out'. My brother-in-law uses it to 'fix' E-bay electric guitars and resell them. He swears by it. :) On the other hand I've tried to use it on my cars and trucks and have had very little luck. :( What color did you say your bike was? Maybe that makes the difference. Good Luck and thanks for the tip! ;)
Color does make a difference at times. Also, success will depend on the depth of the scratch. This stuff is only going to take care of very minor damage. If you have any depth, say through the clearcoat, forget about it. And any other product for that matter.

Generally, what happens is you get some very minor damage in your clearcoat. When the clear is scratched, it appears white. This contrast against the underlying color is more or less noticible depending on the actual color. Glaze fills this small void and makes invisible the white. The glaze didn't "fix" anything, it just hid it. But, same thing, kinda. The only problem with glaze is that it easily washes out and must be sealed with wax. It will eventually be back, then just do it again.

I've used StarBrite Marine Polish (with PTEF - a.k.a. Teflon) for 20+ years on a bunch of bikes and cars to remove scratches, fading, and whatever else was ticking me off at the moment. It's a soft abrasive, so go easy. They claim it isn't necessary, but I always lay a good coat of wax over the area when you're done.

Oh, and Son of a Gun for the windshield. Keeps'em sparkly-clear and scratch-free. Spray it on, let it sit a couple of minutes to soften the bugs and road-gunk, gently wipe it off, buff lightly with a clean microfiber cloth (light blue detailing cloths from evil Wally World). It washes off in the rain, sometimes clouding the shield for a few minutes in the process. Never a problem for me--I just close my eyes.