Don't like going up hill

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leftfield123

Reaction score
I live at 3500' and once in a while ride down to the valley floor for the day. I spend several hours riding, no problems. I ride home with no issues until the last 1000'. At that point my '07, rarely starts to run a bit rough. A much more common problem is when I exit the freeway and stop at the end of the ramp, the bike doesn't want to respond to the throttle. As a result, I have to over rev the engine which works sometimes and the no more problems, at others I have to fight the bike the rest of the way home. It always seems to be fine the next morning.

Again, it only occurs after coming up the mountain and only after 2500 to 3500 feet in altitude. Any suggestions would be helpful.

There was a recall for that on '07s. Has it been done?

Look at pinned thread FJRF004 at the top of this section of the board.

Last edited by a moderator:
The recall is a replacement of the ECU. Next time you experience the problem, pull over and turn off the key then restart and see if the problem goes away. That will reset your ECU. If the problem goes away then you need to get the recall done.

The recall was to replace the ECU. The altitude driveablility issue is caused by too little throttle movement as the motorcycle changes altitude, so the ECU does not update the Fuel Injection map. The problem will always 'cure' itself by turning off the key off and restarting the engine. You can call any Yamaha dealer, give them your VIN and they can tell you if the recall was necessary and if it has been done. Below are the approximate vehicle number ranges for the recall:

FJR1300AV/AW RP15E-0000003 ~ 000404056

FJR1300AVC/AWC RP15Y-0000001 ~ 000074

FJR1300AEV/AEW RP16E-0000006 ~ 0001212

FJR1300AEVC/AEWC RP16Y-0000005 ~ 0000226

If your problem is other than this, y'all call us again.

Edit: I see I cross posted with others. At least we all have the same story :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I had this same experience on my 07 purchased from Texas. Recall had not been done on the ecu and now it runs fine. +1 on calling in your vin.

Thanks so much for the feedback. I'll call Yamaha and check on the recall. You guys are terrific and it's great knowing that we have such a large community willing to help.