Doran TPM and Valve Stems

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcjlmd

Reaction score
I want to try the Doran system, mounted externally. I currently have 90 degree valve stems obtained from BikeEffects...anyone know if the Doran will work with these valve stems. I also see that the kit ships with 90 degree valve stems, but the compnay does not know if they work with the FJR.

Thanks.

Marc

I want to try the Doran system, mounted externally. I currently have 90 degree valve stems obtained from BikeEffects...anyone know if the Doran will work with these valve stems. I also see that the kit ships with 90 degree valve stems, but the compnay does not know if they work with the FJR.

Thanks.

Marc
The Bike Effects 90 degree stems won't work with the Doran, there isn't enough thread to hold the sensor inside the rim. The 90's that ship with the Doran work just as well; they're all metal and quite sturdy.

I have the Doran TPM on my FJR and I remember from the instructions that mounting the sensor externally with the 90o valve stem is not recommended. This is due to the mass of the sensor could damage the valve stem if mounted in this configuration. If using the 90o valve stem, Doran insists that the sensor be mounted internally inside the tire.

Thanks. I was hoping to be able to use the Doran externally, but I guess there isnt enough clearance in the front wheel to use it like this. Guess I will have to go the internal route.

Thanks. I was hoping to be able to use the Doran externally, but I guess there isnt enough clearance in the front wheel to use it like this. Guess I will have to go the internal route.
If you attach the Doran sensor externally to a Bikeeffects 90 degree stem that is pointed to the left or right, it will interfere with the front brake caliper. One could rotate the Bikeeffects 90 degree stem so it lines up with the wheel, which would eliminate this interference...but that would defeat the convenience of having 90 degree stems in the first place.

Doran Mfg. states there have been failure of the valve stems when the sensor is mounted externally on a 90o stem. From what I can gather the rotating mass of the sensor is the issue and I don't need a massive valve stem failure at 120 kph trying to prove them wrong.

My sensors are going inside the tire when I mount the new tires and install the 90o valve stem. I have my own tire changer so if I break a sensor it was my own fault.

A year or so ago, I specifically asked Doran if I could use their sensors on the Ariete aluminum valve stems (same as Bike Effects sells), and they said yes. However, the profile is too low and they won't work on Feej wheels very well.

Doran also says in their literature that comes with the kit, that their 90 degree metal stems are OK for internal or external mounting of the sensors. However, do not mount externally if your existing 90 degree stems have any kind of rubber on the stem, as they will eventually fail (and I know of those who have had that failure). Use the Doran 90 degree stems.

On the Feej, there is not enough clearance on the front wheel to mount the sensors externally, as they will be sheared off by the brake caliper, per my personal evaluation.

I have my front inside and my rear outside, and I did not use the silly "locks" on the rear sensor. The only danger with internal mounting is you must be careful when changing tires.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ran the 90's on my BMW LT for 3 years with the sensors on, no issues. The will not go on the FJR because of clearance. I will use the metal straits Doran provides on first tire change. I use a air gauge with a hose on it and it has the air chuck on the gauge so when you clamp it on you give it air by the gauge so life is pretty easy on air filling. 90's would be my preference but more important is having metal valve stems. The Doran 90's will be payed forward to someone who can use them.

Thanks.

Marc
Absolutely do NOT attach anything to the valve stems I sell, or anyone elses valve stems for that matter. The stems are designed to withstand centrifugal forces for their own weight, not anything added to it.