Down Force from over size windshield

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What about putting on Skyway's windshield spacers??

I am thinking about them, what will they do for a stock screen (or any screen) WRT heat, turbulence and handling??

I've ridden my '05 a some rather interesting speeds with a CeeBaileys +3/+4tall. However, I am not "sensitive" to the changes needed in input. I do have Skyways spacers so my 'shield is tilted back (similar to the Rifle tuning block idea). I don't notice the bike being pushed around but my, er, uhm, ample "self" probably helps in that department. I know that severe wind moves the bike but it has done so on every bike I've ridden.

I'm sure that a larger windshield has some affect, but I repeat that this is not a 450 lb. sportbike but a 650 lb. sort-tourer. Again, I'd like to see some "scientific" tests done agains a stock baseline. Also with the gas tank full and the gas tank 1/4 full just to see if that weight(30 lbs. +) affects the handling and inputs as much as the windscreen.

Hopefully racer157 will do some tests and report back (Knowing that none of us is likely to do any esxperimenting). Well, maybe Mike-H..... :yahoo:

What about putting on Skyway's windshield spacers??I am thinking about them, what will they do for a stock screen (or any screen) WRT heat, turbulence and handling??
They lift the front (lower part) of the windshield. This effectively tilts the top back toward the rider while lifting the front so that more air flows between the windshield and the fairing to help alleviate the vacuum/vortex above the tank. It seems to lower the backpressure for me. When raised all the way up I can feel the heat being sucked up from the engine to swirl above the tank.

BTW, I am NOT an engineer. I played one once...they even let me toot the whistle and ring the bell!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are serious about running a substantially oversize shield on a pre-06 (as in CB +4), you will need to do this:

Shield-roughedin.jpg

Shield-finished.jpg

My old thread may still be around, but not sure. If you don't relieve the buffeting and backpressure, then the bike won't be the only thing swingin' in the wind.

:)

On my ST1300, if you went into "jail" territory with the windshield (main sail) all the way up, you were just asking to get pitched off. That thing was just plain evil if you went over 120 w/ the shield up. Put it all the way down, and it was just fine.

I've only had the FJR into 3 digits once, briefly, but I was immediately impressed by how much more "secure" and stable it felt at high speed over the ST.

My CB shield will be here next week, so I'll get to find out the difference as well.

Being an ex-road racer I am sensitive to the way my bikes handle. Being a mechanic I tend to try to make all of them as good as I can. I love my 2005 fjr but noticed on occasion that when I increase my speed with my windshield in the raised position the steering gets heavier. With the windshield all the way up I find the front end pushing (not wanting to turn) as I lean the bike farther and farther over at speeds above 70. I know, don't speed; but on a FJR I occasionally go a little faster than I should. If I lower the screen there is no problem. On our run last week end which was great by the way, I was offered a stock windshield to try out. I look forward to trying a stock screen, since I have never had one ( this is the burned FJR that I am driving). I mention this because I feel this might pose a problem with other riders too if they are not aware of this. The windshield is after all acting like a front spoiler on a race car. My screen is slightly wider and 4 inches taller that stock according to the seller on e-bay. Have any of you felt this on your bikes?

Being an ex-road racer I am sensitive to the way my bikes handle. Being a mechanic I tend to try to make all of them as good as I can. I love my 2005 fjr but noticed on occasion that when I increase my speed with my windshield in the raised position the steering gets heavier. With the windshield all the way up I find the front end pushing (not wanting to turn) as I lean the bike farther and farther over at speeds above 70. I know, don't speed; but on a FJR I occasionally go a little faster than I should. If I lower the screen there is no problem. On our run last week end which was great by the way, I was offered a stock windshield to try out. I look forward to trying a stock screen, since I have never had one ( this is the burned FJR that I am driving). I mention this because I feel this might pose a problem with other riders too if they are not aware of this. The windshield is after all acting like a front spoiler on a race car. My screen is slightly wider and 4 inches taller that stock according to the seller on e-bay. Have any of you felt this on your bikes?
Sorry about the last blank post, thinkin' to hard about riding I guess!!

What I wanted to say was I bought an X-Tall CalSci windshield and was unhappy with it especially the looks? I sent it back and Mark sent me a Tall version (I am 6'3") and it looks better (not nearly as good as stock) but it's performance is GREAT! Down position almost as good as the stock one in it's full up position. I'm happy here in the NE with the CalSci about a bit more than half up and at speeds to 80 it's perfect even with my face shield up! I am sure I am not as descriminating as most here on the form but notice no real difference in handling, if I'm coming to a series hard corners I usually put it full down, did same with stock. It is much nicer in this frigid weather we have had than the stock windshield!

Ride safe! lobofjr

I just recieved the used windscreen in the mail. Unfortunately it seems to be for a 2006. I will how ever try to redrill the holes so I can experiment. The first thing I noticed, though is the screen I am using currently is almost 40% larger than the smaller stock screen. I was shocked when I laid one on the other. I should be able to install the smaller one next week and then I will get back to you guys. Thanks for all the great observations and comments. Keep the rubber side down and the smiles up.

Hello,

I have a Cal Sci Tall on a 2006 and all i can say is, everything is fine. Iam 170 cm (what is it in feet?) high. No problems till and beyond 130 miles ( Iam from germany, and there is no speed-limit on the motorway or highway). My sozia also have no problems. With the stock screen it was very terrible for me. But now there is silence.

My conclusion after riding with a stock windscrene vs a over size screne is; Yamaha did it right to begin with. I will now get rid of my oversize windsheild period!!!!!

slidebeforeandafter032.jpg

This is my fix and it took two plus years to cut the shield down with a mitre saw!, but even today in low 50's it was a pleasure to ride to work, and later today when it is in the 80's it will be even better!

My advice, try a +2h shield with a flip and run it about 1-1.5" above mechanical bottom. IMO that will give you a reasonable compromise between quiet airspace and good handling at low triple digits.
I concur. That's exactly what I've found with my Cee Bailey +2 flip.

I love my 2005 fjr but noticed on occasion that when I increase my speed with my windshield in the raised position the steering gets heavier.
No kidding...? ;)

Yet another vote for leaving things stock.

Unless you're the size of a barn, why would anyone need a larger windshield? Mine's full down most of the time. Only in a strong headwind, extreme cold or rain do I raise it. If that's not enough... consider a Goldwing or other automobile. YMMV.

i have the c/ b 3 in. but i installed washers (metal ) instead of a block the reason for this is i can add or remove to get the right angle . i run the sheild about 3/4 up . and yes with it all the way up at higher speeds around turns there is a difference .

If you are serious about running a substantially oversize shield on a pre-06 (as in CB +4), you will need to do this:
Shield-roughedin.jpg

Shield-finished.jpg

My old thread may still be around, but not sure. If you don't relieve the buffeting and backpressure, then the bike won't be the only thing swingin' in the wind.

I cut CalSci style holes in my stock '05 shield too and it made a big difference pressure wise and not just with handling. Not being a ATGATT type I no longer have my T shirt trying to come up and off (bunched up under my armpits) as I'm flying down the road with the shield up. B)

On my 07, still stock, the position of the shield does indeed effect the handling. If I'm going straight line it doesn't matter much. In corners the preferred method is low to the bottom position. I find the bike more resistant to turn-in when the screen is set higher than half way up. I noticed this to be very pronounced from 40 to 70 MPH.

Remember that while riding through rain, the air is more dense. The air flow will feel different.

I love my 2005 fjr but noticed on occasion that when I increase my speed with my windshield in the raised position the steering gets heavier.
No kidding...? ;)

Yet another vote for leaving things stock.

Unless you're the size of a barn, why would anyone need a larger windshield? Mine's full down most of the time. Only in a strong headwind, extreme cold or rain do I raise it. If that's not enough... consider a Goldwing or other automobile. YMMV.

Yeah, but Wings are like fat girlfriends. Very comfortable, but you wouldn't want your friends to see you with one.

Just kidding. My wife picked this one out.

55892007_Wing.JPG

BTW, a lot of good info in this thread. My windshield on the FJR stays down unless it's raining. As far as wind noise, I always wear ear plugs so it's not a problem. Was considering a taller windshield but after reading this thread, I believe I'll stick with the factory screen.