Down shifting

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I first picked up my ’08 FJR I immediately noticed many of the symptoms commonly mentioned on this forum (i.e. throttle hesitation, engine dying if throttle blipped, loud shifting noises), but now that I’ve finally hit 2500 miles on the odometer and increased the idle to 1100 rpm, all of these concerns have disappeared. Riding along this past weekend on the North Rim run while climbing out of the desert heat and into the tree line, those beautiful highways with all of the great sweepers gave me an opportunity to really put the FJR to the test. And I won’t hesitate to say I was completely impressed. The handling & cornering ability, the smoothness of the shifts (both up and down) and the purr of the engine and the beauty of the road was hypnotic. Up until this ride, the majority of the miles I had put on it were mostly straight runs either down the freeway or 2-lane roads. The total surefootedness of the FJR explains why this bike has been so appreciated for so many years.

For those of you that may experience some of these same minor disturbances and this is your first FJR, rest assured, they will go away and everything will fall into place.

You're pulling on the clutch and it won't downshift? If that's the case, I've had that happen on my FJR and my Vulcan. Let the clutch out a little and it'll slip into gear then operate normally. It doesn't happen often but when it does it's a bit disconserting.

I've found that my 08 runs much smoother off the line at 1100 rpm at idle. It's very easy to adjust the idling speed, just don't adjust it right after start up, do it after a ride right before shut down.

A Techlusion cured mine immediately. Power Commander or anything similar will cure those types of ills and give you more response.

I suspect the idle speed is set too low. When I first got my bike it was set around 900 rpm and motor would cut out during a hard decel with the clutch in (like when I had to stop hard due to a quick traffic light change.) Set to 1050 rpm and hasn't done it since.

I suspect the idle speed is set too low. When I first got my bike it was set around 900 rpm and motor would cut out during a hard decel with the clutch in (like when I had to stop hard due to a quick traffic light change.) Set to 1050 rpm and hasn't done it since.
+1 to this! Set the idle up to where it should be. Problem solved.

Are you are saying that you think it goes into gear and when you give it gas you are not in gear? This has happend to me a number of times when I first got my 06 fjr. I found that what I was doing was not letting the shift lever return to the full neutral position. I was keeping my toe hooked under the shift lever. Now I make an effort to position my foot just a little farther foward when shifting. Now never a hung shift :yahoo: For me, the fjr tranny and I had to do a little getting to know each other faze.

Are you are saying that you think it goes into gear and when you give it gas you are not in gear? This has happend to me a number of times when I first got my 06 fjr. I found that what I was doing was not letting the shift lever return to the full neutral position. I was keeping my toe hooked under the shift lever. Now I make an effort to position my foot just a little farther foward when shifting. Now never a hung shift :yahoo: For me, the fjr tranny and I had to do a little getting to know each other faze.

All you guys need to start riding an AE. Never missed a shift, smooth and silky, 900rpm, 1100 rpm now at 1050rpm its never stalled at any rpm. I'm not making an effort to do anything except find more challenging twisties to play on. :clapping:

All you guys need to start riding an AE. Never missed a shift, smooth and silky, 900rpm, 1100 rpm now at 1050rpm its never stalled at any rpm. I'm not making an effort to do anything except find more challenging twisties to play on. :clapping:
Yeah, but it's all good

get a PC III, it will correct all your problems. mine would stall from cracking the throttle instead of rolling into it

get a PC III, it will correct all your problems. mine would stall from cracking the throttle instead of rolling into it
why spend the money when setting up the correct idle will probably fix it.
OK i keep saying this I DID SET THE IDLE FIRST, STILL STALLED, DEALER SET THE IDLE,STILL STALLED. PUT THE PC III ON NO PROBLEMS AGAIN

but like i said everyone has there own thoughts. Mine was performance and saftey. @ almost 700 miles i have not one more problem, except i keep tueniing the throttle to much.

why spend the money when setting up the correct idle will probably fix it.
OK i keep saying this I DID SET THE IDLE FIRST, STILL STALLED, DEALER SET THE IDLE,STILL STALLED. PUT THE PC III ON NO PROBLEMS AGAIN

but like i said everyone has there own thoughts. Mine was performance and saftey. @ almost 700 miles i have not one more problem, except i keep tueniing the throttle to much.
Makes one wonder since I have never had problem one with stalling, it might be with the K&N filter plus after market pipes it is too lean but I have after market pipes and no issues. It could be your dealer is not too good too.