Driving lights that draw only 1 Watt!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But LEDs produce the fastest light.
LED light travels faster and farther then any ordinary automotive light.
Can I have some of what you're smokin'?
Now that's interesting.

Seems we now have two different sets of physics? Slow light vs. Fast light? Hmmm? :blink: My junior high science teacher would love to know about this ....

I'm not sure what's being smoked is recoverable from ....... but then, I suppose this is just another P.T. Barnum moment, eh?
is this the 21st century version of some audio myths? the green marker cd improvement? better speaker cable? dolby b vs. dolby c vs. dbx? ooh, i'm waxing nostalgic, now. mammaries, like the corners of my mind...

Some lighting facts from Philips spec sheets (not necessarily automotive):

Halogen - 500 watts, 3500-5000 lumens

LED - 75 watts, 2500 lumens

LED's produce signifcantly more light per watt. However, the fixture that I got the LED data from has a massive heat sink attached (its intended for industrial/commercial area lighting as an alternative to HID lighting.) The Halogen sample was a stage light. But obviously from an energy only standpoint, the LED's only use about 1/4 of the power of a halogen lamp to produce the same lumens. They ARE using LED's for in some new designs including auto headlights so its only a matter of time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I have seen those before....trying to think where I saw them....oh yeah, they were in those little tap on/tap off lights Billy Lane sells on TV for your closet......BUT WAIT!!! Order in the next 10 minutes (with a credit card of course), and he will send you two, yes TWO for the price of one!

TGIF!!!!

I've got to call my insurance company and make sure that they don't penalize me for that crash I had. It is obvious now. It was definately not my fault. I out-ran my slow light. You know, Einstein theorized about the actually substance light would become should you be able to actually stop it... Well, I am not sure what it is, but it will crash your bike when you try to ride over it.

I think the idea trying to be conveyed might be "these lights illuminate faster". If you see two cars with turn signals on, one incandescent, the other LED, the LED does illuminate faster.
They definitely come to full brightness from off quicker than incandescent, so the amount of light getting out of the hole would be greater. Some day, the LED might get to 35 watts and match the lumen output of HID. That's when I'll add them to my Soltek housings.