driving lights wanted

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just want the best lights available
Then a pair of these and be done with it! :superman:

searchlight_675.jpg

There are no definitive "best" lights. There are advantages, disadvantages, trade-offs, and values of each.

I would suggest stating you only want the best again...won't help much. ;)

You're getting good advice here....heed it. Answer the questions being asked so they can help. Or start using the search function to see that this subject has already been talked about many, Many, MANY times on the forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got any pictures of the front/side of your bike to get an idea of how the mounting looks?
Not my exact bike, but close enough. Note that the Aux. lights will not strike the ground on a tip-over, unlike most other setups. At $400.00 retail each, they need all the protection they can get. The HID headlights are contained inside the stock reflectors.

Behold:

FJRwSolteks.jpg

OK, got it. Thanks.

So you're running HID's inside the stock reflectors in addition to the Soltek's. I had seen either your bike (maybe dcarver's?) in a background shot in a ride report but couldn't figure out how it was all done. I've searched and read all the lighting links in the last few days (I actually know how to do that!) so I'm up to speed on the hi/low beam for the HID's and associated problems with finding balast mounting areas on the Gen II's. Which brand did you use?

With all that turned on, are you sure you weren't the thing we saw streaking thu the sky a few days ago here in Texas?

Which brand did you use?
I used the original group buy HID's, but these seem to be the cat's ass nowadays. I'm sure there's already an existing write-up on a Gen II install.

With all that turned on, are you sure you weren't the thing we saw streaking thru the sky a few days ago here in Texas?
It was probably Odot lighting a beer fart....

Installed lazer star bullet lights on the forks using cyclegadgets fender bolt mounts and the lazer light wiring harness for HD (rocker switch instead of panel mount toggle switch). The water resistant rocker switch is velcroed to the inside of the front brake resevoir.
Thanks, Patriot. I'm doing the fork location for my fog lamps and forgotten who had the fender bolt mounts. Had fabricated some but not happy with them. Also, thanks for the velcro tip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out Garauld's light brackets and Hella FF50, if your thinking of getting FZ1 mirors you will want the Gen1 brackets for your bike, I also have Piaa's 1100x on my forks

I have an '08 FJR and am about to pull the trigger on the PIAA 1100x's with the fork mount you mention (Kit #74220).

Before doing so, I was poking around on the forum to see if anyone had them and didn't like them. Since they'd be unspring re: suspension, I was wondering if they cast a jittery light on the road? Also, what is your opinion about how far out and how well they extend the driving light for early morning starts in the dark on long trips when trying to see deer further ahead, etc?

thanks,

Also, what is your opinion about how far out and how well they extend the driving light for early morning starts in the dark on long trips when trying to see deer further ahead, etc?
The lower and closer together you mount them, the less useful light they will cast down the road. Higher and wider, better....

Also, what is your opinion about how far out and how well they extend the driving light for early morning starts in the dark on long trips when trying to see deer further ahead, etc?
The lower and closer together you mount them, the less useful light they will cast down the road. Higher and wider, better....
Got it. Thanks.