Driving lights

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrfyghtr

Reaction score
Ok, I finished installing my relay, fuse block and grounding block. I installed LED's at the front fender mounting bolts. That helps people to see me. Now to help me see at night. I'm in south Alabama and I ride year round, so I need to see the deer in time to do something about it. I'm looking for mounting info with pics oh high mounted driving lights. I don't know what lights yet, I'm leaning towards HID but still looking. I would like to see pics of the mounting hardware and wire routing. I want it to look good and turn night into day. I also need Ideas for more light in the back. The tail/brake light on the FJR is weak at best. I believe in being seen.

Last edited by a moderator:
IBA freinds of mine are going to HID wing lights mounted under their mirrors, and ADVmonster 2000 Lumen LEDs w/ a high/low option wired into their factory bike lights.

HID Wing Ligts = big o'l hunker auxillary lights.

HID lights are nice, but since you can't operate them in the presence of oncoming traffic, I think they have limited utility most places. High power LEDs can be dimmed and put on instant bypass with the high beam switch (no warm up). While they may not be as bright down-range, the peripheral is usually better, and that counts with deer. JMHO most are better off with LEDs.

Ok, I finished installing my relay, fuse block and grounding block. I installed LED's at the front fender mounting bolts. That helps people to see me. Now to help me see at night. I'm in south Alabama and I ride year round, so I need to see the deer in time to do something about it. I'm looking for mounting info with pics oh high mounted driving lights. I don't know what lights yet, I'm leaning towards HID but still looking. I would like to see pics of the mounting hardware and wire routing. I want it to look good and turn night into day. I also need Ideas for more light in the back. The tail/brake light on the FJR is weak at best. I believe in being seen.
You're ahead of me - or we just started in different places. Last week I installed HyperLites (rear LED running, brake, and turning) and the Third Brake Light (to make the stock brake light flicker a few times when activated). I took a bunch of photos, including where I ran the wires. I'll try to get those posted in a few days.

BTW, on Saturday a riding buddy said they did a great job increasing visibility, even in daylight.

Next is FuzeBlobk, or similar, and aux lights on the front.

HID lights are nice, but since you can't operate them in the presence of oncoming traffic, I think they have limited utility most places. High power LEDs can be dimmed and put on instant bypass with the high beam switch (no warm up). While they may not be as bright down-range, the peripheral is usually better, and that counts with deer. JMHO most are better off with LEDs.
I'll play nice and just say I disagree!

I'll play nice and just say I disagree!

Why change now?????? :p

These are pretty awesome...

Best bang for the buck I think...

https://www.dishers.com/2011/07/09/new-eyes-for-the-fjr

My right one is aimed a little off to the right, left one down just a tab. I don't generally get flashed on divided highways, but do on two lane roads.

I rode all night in the WV mountains in the MD2020 with just these when my headlights went (Spider bite).

They are a little big and heavy, but have held up well.

YMMV

Stock headlights with a modulator up front. Hella Micro-DE Xenon (HID) driving lights slung below the mirrors on Garauld's mounts. Out back a Whelen Dominator-2 light bar with a brake light modulator to wake up the sleeping drivers before they run up my tail.

PHID 4's mounted inboard to the mirrors. Very hard to find these new. If interested I have a pair with the Joel bracketts for $550 + ship. These lights shoot equilly as well down the road compared to micro DE Hellia. The PHID

4 will have much more volume of light for the side of the road compared to the DE.

Here is a link to pics for the lights only Bike Sold..

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=142511&st=0&p=920715&fromsearch=1entry920715

Hope it works..