Dropped in the Garage!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark0212

Reaction score
Well...it finally happend! :dribble: I've forgotten the kickstand before, but usually save it; not this time. She hit the tipping point and over she went. Hurt my back trying to upright it again. Landed on the slider, so no real damage to the side, but left mirror is toast...to the point that the metal bracket it bolts to is bent so that I can no longer get a seal when its flush. So all in all I'm lucky I guess, but the mirrow not mounting correctly is really a drag. Checked Bikebandit and it 130$. Anybody have any suggestions or expereinces with the mirrors?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Can the bracket be bent back?

I felt pretty silly when mine toppled over on me in my garage..(a case of the stand just not being fully extended) but I think I would trade a tip over at speed for a one at zero mph anyday.

KM

It can; I just hope it can without taking the front section off. I was looking at a post from Niehart (Thanks) and I see HaulinAshe has a method, but i'm not sure I understand it. I've got the 6mm bolts inserted from the inside protruding up out the holes, but I not understanding the 2x4 bit! btw, is that your wife in the avatar :rolleyes: ? She's smokin!

A little late, but for reference, don't lift the bike to pick it up. Turn away from it, one hand on the grab rail and one hand on the handlebar grip, butt in the seat, and walk backwards. Your legs will roll it right up onto the wheels!

Welcome to the club...I dropped mine when I first got it but it didn't trash the mirrors, although I have since replaced the narrow originals with the FZ-1 OEMs and they are great...good luck!

Great tip from WFOOSHEE, BTW...I'll remember that one... :yahoo:

The first scratch is always the hardest. ;) As long as it's not too bad, the subframe / mounting bracket can be straightened. Check around for mirror pricing,you can beat the $130 easily...here's one for $94 CycleParts Warehouse or go the FZ1 route. Then, sell your RT hand mirror and come close to paying for the FZ1 mirror upgrade.

--G

A little late, but for reference, don't lift the bike to pick it up. Turn away from it, one hand on the grab rail and on hand on the handlebar grip, butt in the seat, and walk backwards. Your legs will roll it right up onto the wheels!
I've dumped mine in the garage (thought the kickstand was all the way forward-it wasn't) and an '05 at an intersection years ago. But for the life of me, I've never been able to lift a bike the way you describe without the darn front tire rolling (no matter how I hold the handlebars-maybe not straight enough). I must be doing something wrong because it works for so many. I tip the bike up enough to get my left knee under it, reach the front brake lever with my left hand, grab the grab rail with my right and pop it up (no problems). Luckily, the only damage I ever had was the bolt snapped off where the mirror stem attaches to the base mount.

That gives me an idea-how about someone developing a bolt that snaps like a shear pin?

If the bike's in gear, it's not gonna roll anywhere. And the bars are not straight. Since you're lifting by the down bar, the front wheel will be steered fully towards the down side.

I've been told gravel is bad for this type of lift, as the bike just slides away from you, the wheels don't get any traction to lever the bike up. Never had to try that, fortunately.

If the bike's in gear, it's not gonna roll anywhere. And the bars are not straight. Since you're lifting by the down bar, the front wheel will be steered fully towards the down side.

I've been told gravel is bad for this type of lift, as the bike just slides away from you, the wheels don't get any traction to lever the bike up. Never had to try that, fortunately.
Maybe I'm missing something-but if the bike's in gear, it still won't prevent the front tire from rolling away (it'll pivot because the rear is locked in gear), which is what happens to me...?

Not if the rear wheel's down and the tranny locks it. Where's the front gonna go if the rear doesn't go with it?

You do lift just enough to get the wheels on the ground.

I just replaced my OEM mirrors with FZ1 mirrors. I really like em. If you want my OEM FJR mirrors just pay shipping. Dr

Not if the rear wheel's down and the tranny locks it. Where's the front gonna go if the rear doesn't go with it?

You do lift just enough to get the wheels on the ground.
The front pivots (the rear is locked, but the front can still move). Believe me, it's not opinion, I've done it several times-which led me to doing it a different way. Maybe if your weight is more toward the back of the bike seat (I may be too close to the front). Or, maybe it's like the technique used in getting a bike up on the center stand-once you do it it seems easy, but untill you do it, it seems impossible. I'm usually that person who always takes longer to grasp something than the chimpanzee.

I had something similar happen to me. You need to take off the front cockpit fairing to make sure you get the bend in the sub frame, the stay as they call it in the parts manual correct. The stay is about 365 dollars that last time I checked for my bike.

Latest posts