Dropped in the Garage!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well...it finally happend! :dribble: I've forgotten the kickstand before, but usually save it; not this time. She hit the tipping point and over she went. Hurt my back trying to upright it again...
You`ve had some good advice here Mark but for what it`s worth I would rig up a block and tackle to the beams of your garage. In the long run it`s going to save your back. Oh and you might think about wearing your helmet 24/7.

The front pivots (the rear is locked, but the front can still move).
Yeah, I can't even begin to imagine what you're describing.

If the rear wheel is locked by the gears and on the ground, the front can't move unless your bike can change shape. Pivot, yes, but roll, no. An since you're ;ifting the down-side bar, the pivot doesn't matter.

The front pivots (the rear is locked, but the front can still move).
Yeah, I can't even begin to imagine what you're describing.

If the rear wheel is locked by the gears and on the ground, the front can't move unless your bike can change shape. Pivot, yes, but roll, no. An since you're ;ifting the down-side bar, the pivot doesn't matter.
Watching the videos, I think I know how I get it to pivot. Instead of pushing up with the main force being up/back at the seat, I'm putting most of the force on the right handlebar, toward the front end of the bike rather than the center. Probably compensating for a left shoulder being blown out more than the right. Essentially, I'm putting most of the force at the handlebar, causing the front tire to move. At least, that's the only way I can figure why it moves away from me. I hope I never get another chance to try it the right way, but who knows.

Thanks for the input, it made me think about it to the point that I'm pretty sure I know where I was messing up.

Well...it finally happend! :dribble: I've forgotten the kickstand before, but usually save it; not this time. She hit the tipping point and over she went. Hurt my back trying to upright it again. Landed on the slider, so no real damage to the side, but left mirror is toast...to the point that the metal bracket it bolts to is bent so that I can no longer get a seal when its flush. So all in all I'm lucky I guess, but the mirrow not mounting correctly is really a drag. Checked Bikebandit and it 130$. Anybody have any suggestions or expereinces with the mirrors?

Thanks!

Hi Mark, did the about the same thing a month or so ago while taking it off the center stand. After much searching finally found this post: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=123165&st=0&p=659307&hl=mirror&fromsearch=1entry659307 which covers the situation. Look particulary at post #29 in the thread. Start around post #19 in the thread for relevant info.

Flat steel bar stock 1/8' x 1" x 36" and a piece of square steel tubing and some bolts, washers and nuts at Home Depot ran about $10.00. Haven't assembled the bending jig yet but have a couple of months until it is decent riding weather again.

but have a couple of months until it is decent riding weather again.
With that statement, we are officially kicking you out of the Pacific Northwet Riders Association! :p So far we've only had a few days that are excusable absences from riding (you know - those days where white stuff was all over the road recently).

Latest posts