Dual rearset Powerlet on '14ES

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hellfish

Reaction score
Has anyone tried installing these Powerlets? I have a set on my '08 and wonder if they will transfer over to a '14ES. When I looked at an ES model it appeared that the motor for the electronic suspension was right up behind the seat release lock. Not much room left there for the Powerlets.

I believe Townsend has confirmed only a single outlet will fit on the side with the suspension motor but the dual well fit on the other side.

It really doesn't take that much fabrication to change the Powerlet dual to fit any place you want it.

A simple aluminum plate with 2 holes drilled and a splitting of the outlets would work. I think you could make a custom fit panel

with a splash of black paint and it would work/look quite nice.

I can tell you (after two months of fiddling) the ES model has all the electronic shock parts where my brackets would go. I could squeeze a single outlet(my design, not theirs) in my regular area

Now Powerlet uses a different bracket, set back a little farther then where my brackets go.

Here's a 2014 model Powerlet:
https://www.powerlet.com/shop-by-vehicle/1/yamaha-fjr1300/product/yamaha-fjr-dual-keylock-kit-2006-present/209/875

A 2008 model Powerlet:
https://www.powerlet.com/shop-by-vehicle/1/yamaha-fjr1300/product/yamaha-fjr-dual-keylock-kit-2006-present/209/738

They are slightly different part #'s (underlined). I suspect for the ES model, they use low profile sockets (due to the lack of room with the new shock assembly/hardware).

Replacing, or modifing the socket (ie, soldier some ends on vs plug in's), (the bracket itself looks the same), would likely solve your issue. Also, space permitting, you may be able to move your current plate out farther with some spacers and longer bolts (for the clearance needed behind)

The Yamaha cylindrical part directly behind takes up a bunch of room. You can see, my ES single outlet is more forward than the Powerlet set up(just to clear that cylinder):

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Townsends. That's the info I was looking for.
One member here / customer bought the dual outlet kit for the 14 ES (left side).

The Powerlet sockets came already attached to the plate and wired together already to plug into the rest of their harness. They could not be taken apart without cutting wires..

The outlets had the wires already attached to them un-like the other kits where a white plastic plug attached to each socket could be removed. These wires were permanently attached (likely for clearance).

We ultimatly ended up putting an outlet on each side (using my lock brackets), some modifications to the Powerlet harness..

One member here / customer bought the dual outlet kit for the 14 ES (left side).

The Powerlet sockets came already attached to the plate and wired together already to plug into the rest of their harness. They could not be taken apart without cutting wires..

The outlets had the wires already attached to them un-like the other kits where a white plastic plug attached to each socket could be removed. These wires were permanently attached (likely for clearance).

We ultimatly ended up putting an outlet on each side (using my lock brackets), some modifications to the Powerlet harness..
What about the possibility of splitting the sockets and mounting them on a custom plate/panel where the sockets are stacked (Or vertical) ?

What about the possibility of splitting the sockets and mounting them on a custom plate/panel where the sockets are stacked (Or vertical) ?
We (he) did end up splittling both sockets.

Yes, you could probably do that (stack them) however, a pillions left foot would likely get in the way of a lower outlet (if a heated jacket, etc was plugged in). My "tester" had his wife get on the bike(pillion), with a plug in and check clearances for her foot and the outlet /cord ( that the two, together wouldn't be an issue)

It is very, very tight with that electronic shock set up and alot of that hardware comes right to the edge of the the frame. Setting locks and/ or outlets tend to stick out.

For my set up, on the left side of the ES, the aluminum I use is 1/8" (almost twice as thick as the clamp over the frame set up). Strenth wise, I wasn't comfortable making it any longer, It needed it to be plenty sturdy with NO chance of leveraging it out of place..

With that new hydralic line on the left side, I had to eliminate the securring nut on the back side of the bracket, thread the bracket and use a shorter bolt (its that tight) and loctite.

I'm going with the Powerlet (PSO-007) Low Profile Kit.

Installed in the Faring Left Black Panel.

Wired into my FuzeBlock unswitched 15A fuse.

I only have a heated vest to power.