Dumb-a$$ed Stupid Attack

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PTParks

Reaction score
My driveway is very steep and ends in a slight dip as it transitions to the cul-de-sac I live on. Coming home yesterday I approached the driveway and downshifted from second to first as I started up the driveway...or so I thought. What I ended up doing after I'm about 10 feet up the driveway is catching neutral and revving like a wild man while I started drifting downhill backwards. I ran out of footing and ideas at the same time and ended up putting the bike on its (left) side and launching me off the bike into the middle of the asphalt. Figure a 2 mph wreck rolling backwards downhill. Typical newbie dumb-assed maneuver. The bike fairing sustained various degrees of road rash in two areas(upper left side piece and the lower adjustable piece by my knee), the left hand mirror is toast, the left footpeg is gone (mounting point is ok), the left side engine cover is badly scratched, and there is a small roughed up area on the bottom side of the left muffler (soon to be replaced with some Vance-Hines pieces). All what looks to be easily replaceable parts. I have found a couple of Yamaha parts places that lists all the necessary replacement parts, and if I am reading the information correctly the faring pieces come already painted (silver). Exactly how hard is it to replace the parts I listed? With the exception of the engine side cover that I would leave to the dealer to replace, I think I could do the tear-down and replacement of the parts myself. I could file an insurance claim and go to the dealer for the whole thing but the majority of the cost would end up being my deductable.

Anyone familiar with the fairing have any words of wisdom before I order the parts and start?

Me? It's amazing how hard you can hit your head with hardly any velocity to add to the force of the fall. Helmet did what it was designed to do. Felt the impact but suffered no ill effects. Joe Rocket jacket prevented any road rash. Left shoulder a little sore and I've got a weird bruise on the side of my left foot. All the gear, all the time, even at 2mph.

Sorry about your oopsie...sometimes stuff like this happens so quickly with no warning our pride takes the biggest hit.

As a side note, it sounds like you didnt have sliders...I would get em when you get everything fixed.

Click here for Kaitdad's most excellent Gen-II fairing removal thread.

In my own claim some years ago, I did the work myself but my claim included the labor, so that made up the deductible and then some.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did sorta the same thing , but managed to hit the brakes, making it

a zero mph tip over. Two days prior to this I installed a set of Skyway sliders....

da

Damage was insignificant.

So, no help with the plastic , but another suggestion to get a set of sliders for the next time........

Show it to your insurance and get a check. Then start buying your own parts and replace them ALL yourself. The easiest thing to replace will be the engine cover, so don't stress about that.

You will actually probably come out ahead. Make sure your insurance sees your helmet and jacket as most reputable companies cover your gear too.

And then get some sliders.

Glad you weren't seriously hurt. It's amazing how much damage can occur with just a tip over. For what it's worth, this kinda stuff happens to a lot of us... once. You are not alone, my friend. Hope ya get the bike fixed up quickly. While ya got those side panels off, it's a good time to add a set of sliders. Talk about cheap insurance.

Gary

darksider #44

Ditto on the Dumb-ass tip-over, No injurys, due much in part to the sliders, But my "buddy" put pics on facebook to really "burn" me!

Any BLACK CHERRY '07 Left mirrors for sale to go with my CRUSHED ego? This forum is AWESOME and taught me to "FARKLE", I would never have heard that word anywhere else! I'm now free to "farkle"!

Situational awareness. With your driveway, you should always be ready for the feces to hit the rotating oscilattor and be covering the brake.

Replacing plastic faring bits is not too bad. A pain the first time you do it, but gets easier each time. Definitely get some sliders.

Oh, and shop for the parts at discount parts suppliers. There are several you should check, one of my favorities being cyclepartswarehouse.com

Situational awareness. With your driveway, you should always be ready for the feces to hit the rotating oscilattor and be covering the brake.

Replacing plastic faring bits is not too bad. A pain the first time you do it, but gets easier each time. Definitely get some sliders.

Oh, and shop for the parts at discount parts suppliers. There are several you should check, one of my favorities being cyclepartswarehouse.com
Do they sell the tupperware?