Dumbass helmet question?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm wondering whether I want good full-face or a flip-up. I've never owned a flip-up. But I think it would be a good thing. My question is, if you too bought a flip-up thinking it was a good thing, were you perhaps wrong?

Do you use the feature? Or could you have done just as well with a regular full face?

Is the trade-off for weight versus comfort worth it? If they'd give you a refund for your flip-up, or credit it against a new Shoei or Arai, would you opt out? Will your next helmet be another flip-up?

Yeah, I've read the reviews, AND used the friggin' SEARCH thing, but I think I'm asking pertinent questions here. Is this a NEPRT?

And shit man, I hate handing anyone a few hundred dollars for an experiment. At my age, this could be the last lid I buy. And should I go with cool graphics, or a high-vis solid.....? And will I be sorry for getting the axis yellow? Does dark beer really not give you a hangover? And.... :(

Yeah, I wanna know the answer to most of those questions, too.

I don't know about dark beer giving you hangovers, but I do know the molds in it causes congestion.

Wow, that is a lot of questions. I think you are destined for NEPRT-land.

I rode with a Shoei Syncrotec flip-up for three years, then switched to an RF-1000 a year and a half ago. I didn't think I'd be happy making the switch, but it really hasn't been any big deal and now I never worry about the "what-ifs" of going down on my chin and having a flip failure.

I've come the immutable realization that I prefer to have the option. If I'm in LD mode where I'm going to want to drink water or munch a granola bar while I'm riding that a flip is indispensable. The added benefit of being able to flip up the helmet when hot at intersections is a bonus as well as being able to talk to people if I'm riding with someone.

If I'm commuting for a purpose ride I prefer my regular full-face as it's quieter.

I've come the immutable realization that I prefer to have the option. If I'm in LD mode where I'm going to want to drink water or munch a granola bar while I'm riding that a flip is indispensable. The added benefit of being able to flip up the helmet when hot at intersections is a bonus as well as being able to talk to people if I'm riding with someone.
If I'm commuting for a purpose ride I prefer my regular full-face as it's quieter.
Okay, this is important. How MUCH quieter is an RF1000? I want quiet. If hella quiet is 10, and an RF is 9, and a hunnert dollar helmet is 1, where is a Multitech? Just a bit? Night and day? The bastards should let you take 'em on a 3 day test ride, considering the expense nowadays.

I have a hard time riding with my HJC CL-SP and no ear plugs, the wind noise drives me nuts. The new RF1000 is as quiet without ear plugs as the HJC is with. I know the cl-sp is not a flip helmet I threw that in as a comparason. I hope this help a little.

Okay, this is important. How MUCH quieter is an RF1000? I want quiet. If hella quiet is 10, and an RF is 9, and a hunnert dollar helmet is 1, where is a Multitech? Just a bit? Night and day? The bastards should let you take 'em on a 3 day test ride, considering the expense nowadays.
Now we're headed toward NEPRT for sure! :lol:

Helmet noise is totally subjective and downright random. In my experience it has nothing to do with money spent or brand. My quietest is a flip followed by the cheapest helmet and the noisiest is the most expensive one that got rave reviews for being quiet. It's a crap shoot I tell ya...

Brands and models left out on purpose.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't wear a full face helmet. I love the flip up. It has soo many advantages especially here in FL where it is warm alot of the time. In a colder climate it might not be as big a deal but here it is. It is noisey however and ear plugs are a must.

NEPRT contribution: Are there any Snell flip-ups???

My own thinking: I like the idea, as Iggy said, of getting a quick drink or munch without undressing, but I wonder about the integrity of the thing in a faceplant, especially after having just had a faceplant (although probably not severe enough to make a difference in helmet type between full and flip-up):

DSC02739sm.jpg

I bought a Shoei Multitek when i got my FJR last year, and to date I have never used the flip up feature. When I originally looked at it I thoght it would be great to have but it never worked out to something I needed.

I bought a Shoei Multitek when i got my FJR last year, and to date I have never used the flip up feature. When I originally looked at it I thoght it would be great to have but it never worked out to something I needed.
Yeah, I'm starting to wonder if I'd really use the flip up very often----enough to make it worth giving up the quiet and safety.

I use the flip-up feature all the time (I have a Nolan). I can't imagine ever being without it again.

Definitely noisier. If quiet is the top concern, a regular helmet should be your choice. I've always worn earplugs anyway.

I've got a really old RF-1000 that I love and have been watching for replacements, so really appreciate the input. Most of my riding is just commuting, with the occasional 2-3 day ride. I must say that over time, I've adapted to eating and drinking, even with the full-face. True, I can't eat a sub sandwich, but if the food (usually crackers) can go under the chin-piece, I'm set. For drinks, I get bottle drinks with a screw-cap and straw, down the top couple of inches before starting out, and keep it in the verticle chest pocket of my 'Stitch. Drinking from a straw sure gets smiles from the cagers, though.

Question: Is it just me or do the HJC and Shoei flip helmets seem to be tighter in the chin area?

Bob

Count the number of times you wish you could flip up your helmet to talk to someone beside you without removing your helmet. Now add the number of times you've needed to stick a Camelbak mouthpiece in while still riding.

That's the number of times you'll ever use a flip-up feature from personal experience. I just did it last week to ask a cop in the passenger seat of a San Diego PD cruiser why he stuck his hand out while I was splitting lanes up to a light (to which he backed down and claimed to be just stretching and tried to flip it around onto me for almost hitting his hand...whatever, jackass).

I have yet to try on a flip-up that wasn't a little more "close" at the chin compared to the full-face model.

But I'm sorry, I own a Shoei RF-1000 and they suck ass for noise, period, but especially when compared to my Schuberth C2 (I'm told the fullface S1 like Fairlane's is even quieter). Whoever claims those Shoei fukbuckets are quiet has never heard a truly quiet lid, IMHO. I think it's because the RF-1000 has too big an open "hole" at the bottom for wind noise to whip across, the Schuberth wraps closer around the head and, in turn, has a smaller opening at the bottom.

Count the number of times you wish you could flip up your helmet to talk to someone beside you without removing your helmet. Now add the number of times you've needed to stick a Camelbak mouthpiece in while still riding.
That's the number of times you'll ever use a flip-up feature from personal experience. I just did it last week to ask a cop in the passenger seat of a San Diego PD cruiser why he stuck his hand out while I was splitting lanes up to a light (to which he backed down and claimed to be just stretching and tried to flip it around onto me for almost hitting his hand...whatever, jackass).

I have yet to try on a flip-up that wasn't a little more "close" at the chin compared to the full-face model.

But I'm sorry, I own a Shoei RF-1000 and they suck ass for noise, period, but especially when compared to my Schuberth C2 (I'm told the fullface S1 like Fairlane's is even quieter). Whoever claims those Shoei fukbuckets are quiet has never heard a truly quiet lid, IMHO. I think it's because the RF-1000 has too big an open "hole" at the bottom for wind noise to whip across, the Schuberth wraps closer around the head and, in turn, has a smaller opening at the bottom.
Ummm, inserting my dome in a "fukbucket" IS a little off-putting... :( (Riddle- What's worse than a noisy fuckbucket? )

And if you'd have actually hit his hand, would they have impounded your Feej?

Yeah, I'm starting to wonder if I'd really use the flip up very often----enough to make it worth giving up the quiet and safety.

I just never used the flip up feature and just got a new Shoei X-11 helmet which feels much lighter and quieter than the Multitec. The X-11 also seems better ventilated and doesn't have as much lift as the Multitec.

I've gone through a few helmets, but since the modular/flip lids have become common those are all I own. They are louder than most full face helmets, but worth the trade-off if you're willing to wear earplugs IMO. I wear glasses and have had to replace two pairs due to taking them off to put on the helmet and forgetting them as I drove off. In both cases someone had run them over before I got back to where they had fallen from the bike. Hasn't happened since the switch to modular helmets because I just put the helmet on without removing the glasses. The convienience factor weighs in heavily too. It's nice to be able to just flip the front up to take a drink at the stoplight or talk to someone. Occasionally, I will flip the front up while in low speed stop and go traffic for more airflow.

As a bonus, it seems to somehow put the LEO's at ease if you can flip it up so they can see your face and talk with them while removing gloves and retrieving paperwork as well. Actually got me out of one ticket because the officer literally forgot why he had pulled me over fter seeing the helmet and asking all kinds of questions about the helmet and the usual "What kind of bike is that". (I'm guessing somewhere around 80 in a 55, but I had a sudden case of amnesia as well.) :rolleyes:

I understand there is a possibility that the front can open in a wreck, but it's much better than not having anything there to start with. It would seem to me that you would have to be sliding feet first and face down in order to get one of these to open, and at that point a full face could probably get rolled back just about as easily if it were to catch on something solid. In most of the wrecks that I have personally witnessed (or survived) I think a modular helmet would probably fared pretty well, so I'm gonna stick with them.

David

I've gone through a few helmets, but since the modular/flip lids have become common those are all I own. They are louder than most full face helmets, but worth the trade-off if you're willing to wear earplugs IMO. I wear glasses and have had to replace two pairs due to taking them off to put on the helmet and forgetting them as I drove off. In both cases someone had run them over before I got back to where they had fallen from the bike. Hasn't happened since the switch to modular helmets because I just put the helmet on without removing the glasses. The convienience factor weighs in heavily too. It's nice to be able to just flip the front up to take a drink at the stoplight or talk to someone. Occasionally, I will flip the front up while in low speed stop and go traffic for more airflow.
As a bonus, it seems to somehow put the LEO's at ease if you can flip it up so they can see your face and talk with them while removing gloves and retrieving paperwork as well. Actually got me out of one ticket because the officer literally forgot why he had pulled me over fter seeing the helmet and asking all kinds of questions about the helmet and the usual "What kind of bike is that". (I'm guessing somewhere around 80 in a 55, but I had a sudden case of amnesia as well.) :rolleyes:

I understand there is a possibility that the front can open in a wreck, but it's much better than not having anything there to start with. It would seem to me that you would have to be sliding feet first and face down in order to get one of these to open, and at that point a full face could probably get rolled back just about as easily if it were to catch on something solid. In most of the wrecks that I have personally witnessed (or survived) I think a modular helmet would probably fared pretty well, so I'm gonna stick with them.

David
Brother, you're not advocating that I buy a flip-up so that I can more easily communicate with LEOs? That would be like marrying a gal because she's got a lousy divorce attorney.

Seriously though, (just kidding), you make some good points. I've sort of settled on a Shoei Axis Yellow RF-1000 with #31 (I think) cheek pads. This forum once again has been an invaluable resource. Even though most of the members here are grumpy malcontents, :D ( I say that with affection), most responses contain wisdom and perspectives worth considering.

And speaking of resources, for helmets, this is gold >>> https://www.webbikeworld.com/Reviewed-motor...ts/Products.htm.

They kind of shit on Rayban's Schuberth, but they offer great reviews. And I'll not buy another helmet without checking both resources.

NEPRT contribution: Are there any Snell flip-ups???

I think the Shoei Multitec is the only one with a SNELL rating...

EDIT...although I have seen ads for the helmet with SNELL in the copy , a quick check at the SNELL site shows the Multitec is not on their list...sorry for the mistake.

KM