Dunlop D208 ZR on the FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Getsum

Reaction score
Well I finally bit the bullet and put some new tires on the bike. I ended up going with D208 ZR based on my mechanic's recommendation. Dunlop recommends the D220 and the D208 is the alternative, but I think it's more of the "performance" tire vice "touring" of the two. I was able to get just over 5700 on the stock Bridgestone’s and I'm hoping I can get 5k or so on these. On a side note, I was happy with the Bridgestone's and I just wanted to try something different.

Anyway, I tried searching this site and the other's regarding these tires on the FJR but I didn't have much luck. So is anyone else using these and what are your thoughts/concerns?

Finally, I paid $300 for the tires, mounting and balancing.

https://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tirecatalog_tire.asp?id=82

From the product description it sounds like perhaps its aimed at more "sport" and less "touring". I wonder if you'll find that it's a bit soft and doesn't last as long as your 'stones?

Be sure to keep us posted of you initial impressions and how much mileage you get outta these.

the 208 is a sportbike tire from what I understand. I'd definatly verify the weight numbers for that set of tires with the boheimeth that is the FJR.

when those run out (in less than 3k if you only got 5k out of the bridgestones) order a set of avons from fjrgoodies.com

Those will last you longer, but probably not be quite as sticky as the dunlops. You should be able to get a pair of those delivered for just over 2c's, and get them mounted and balanced and still be very close to or just under the price of the dunlops.

I just looked at the weight numbers in the link...

Unfortunatly dunlop doesn't list what units those numbers are for. I'm guessing it's in Kg, and I'm too lazy to do the conversions for you.

Still, what kinda company gives load rating numbers without listing the units!!!!! (or am I just blind B) )

**********EDIT BELOW***********

On a seperate page describing thier terminology, it does indate those values are in lbs, so my initial concerns about the tire's ability to handle the weight are simply parinoia!

Last edited by a moderator:
You should be Okay on the weight. These are sportbike, not sport-touring tires and are really designed with lighter bikes in mind. So you'll probably get about 35% less mileage and a little more stick, although with the FJR's cornering clearance limits, the extra stick will probably go unused.

Personally, I think the Pilot Roads, Avon STs, and Metzeler Z6s, are all better choices (in that order), but there is nothing wrong with these Dunlops. I got terrible mileage out of the only D220 I tried, so unless they've changed things, I wouldn't recommend this tire. I used to use D205s and liked them a great deal but they're being phased out.

I have a 208 on the front of my FJR. It is not my first choice, but I was on tour and it was all the local dealer had that would fit that hadn't been sitting around since the last ice age.

You got a pretty good price. Most shops get around $350 to $400 for a set mounted.

- Mark

I think the Pilot Roads, Avon STs, and Metzeler Z6s, are all better choices
Concur, except I say nay - nay on the Z6's. I'm running them now and the front absolutely sucks. It's triangled off pretty good with only about 4,500 miles, leaving the front end to flop into turns - not fun. Avon's are the way, IMO...

Cal Coast Motor Sports in Ventura have the best price on tires mounted and balance off the bike were 215.00. These were Avons 45/46.

rogerfjrfaster :D

I ran D208s on my 929. Got around 3K miles from the rear tire, and could do two rears to one front. But the 929 weighed 415 lbs, not 600.

A lot of that low mileage, I think, is related to the road surface and temperature here in North Texas. The macadam compound is quite abrasive compared to some areas of the country, and of course, it's hot as hell here in the summer.

I only got 3,700 miles from the stock MEZ4s. Avons do a bit better, yielding about 5K per rear.

I watch tire pressures very close, checking them at least 3 times a week.

I plan to try the Pirelli Diablo Stradas next, although I've no complaints about the Avons. Great tires wet or dry.

You can run D208s on the FJR, but don't expect a lot of mileage. I think the level of grip they provide is probably overkill, given the lean angles possible before hard part grindage. But they will stick to the road like shit to a blanket!

These were the tires that were on my bike when I purchased her. I will NEVER put these tires on her silvery feet again.

#1 - seller stated that there was about 400 miles on these tires. If that be true, I got a little over 4000 miles out of the set.

#2 - I had these tires break loose on me at least three times. One time was while breaking... not heavy breaking, either. Granted, this was with wet pavement but wasn't screatching to a hault. It was a normal stop.

The other two times it was under acceleration... not heavy acceleration, either.

The most disturbing part is there was still some tread & not like they were bald. They were gone shortly thereafter. Truth be told I probably could've gotten another 500 miles out of em' but I couldn't get them off fast enough as soon as I had the money for Avons. I wasn't trusting this 600+ pound machine with crap shoes.

Those Avons... sticky plus!!!!! Never broken loose on me. I'm on the 2nd rear & the 1st front. The front will be ready to be changed out in another 1,500 or so. Rear is good to go for awhile.

I had Bridgestones to begin with, and am now on Avon ST's with about 6k miles on the Avons and PLENTY of mileage left on them. I didn't like the Avons at first due to the front acting weird under slow sharp cornering...but that issue fixed itself with break in and higher pressure.

I have had them break loose on me in these instances:

1) Rain, slight turn in freeway and went over big painted arrow, slid about 3 inches and then they grabbed once I hit the pavement. 30mph cross wind at the same time...that was fun! (not)

2 - ?) Accelerating in the wet, having fun, and opening the throttle enough to break the rear loose. Fun.

That's it.

D280ZRs will wear out VERY quickly on an FJR. They are soft sportbike tires.

Mike

The Load/Speed index of 58W for the front and 73W on the rear are pretty much standard for these sizes of tires across the various manufacturers. The same can be said for the maximum load of 520 for the front and 805 for the rear. These are the obvious things that are fairly easy to compare right online using the various tire charts.

The things that are harder to compare are things like tire the tire separation problems some people have experienced with the Metzlers or the low speed wobble problems I’ve read about on the Avons.

As for tire life, I understand that a big factor is riding style and the rubber composition. Ask ten people and you’ll get ten different answers kind of deal. The Dunlop 220 has the harder rubber and probably would have been the better choice for the FJR, it was the recommended tire, but I wanted to give these tires a shot. The first 200 miles on these have been real nice but that’s just the break in. I know that I really don’t want to be installing new tires every 4000 miles while I’m servicing the bike at the same time.

I put one of the dunlops on the rear but not by choice. On the way to the EOM back in September I lost my brand new rear Avon due to a puncture -- the only tire that the dealer had in stock was the dunlop. It really was sticky when it was warmed up good -- it handled well on the dragon but -- after getting home and the weather got cooler -- you had better be paying attention when starting out in the mornings when it was cold out -- that tire ain't worth a damn when it's cold and it takes a long time to get it warmed up. I almost highsided my bike leaving work one evening taking off a little briskly and the tire lost it's grip after changing into 2ng gear- tire broke loose, rear end skidded out at least a foot or two and caught traction-- the tire didn't stay on long after that-- I already had my new rear avon replacement at the house and was just waiting til the dunlop wore out -- I changed it out with at least 500 miles left on the tire -- couldn't stand risking the chance of destroying my bike or body.. for what it's worth - the Avons are the shit! They are the only manufacturer that has a free replacement policy in the event that road hazard tears them up within 3% of treadlife, which happened to me-- no hassles with them, they got my information via emails that I wrote the company, they called me and I got a new tire free of charge -- Guess what tires will always be on my FJR?

Mike

Those will be gone soon. Pirelli Diablo Strada EMS, Mine have 4500 on them and still rock, just a tad of squaring off (Texas is mostly straight).

I have run two sets of the D208s on my FZR1000. It is a little lighter than the FJR but not much. Not sure exactly how many mile I got out of them but I had no complaints about the tires. I ran the D220s on the FJR and could not get them off fast enough. Terrible wet traction.

I started with the Bridgestones and hated them. Ran a three sets of Avons they are OK. I am now running the Pilot roads and love them.

...I say nay - nay on the Z6's.  I'm running them now and the front absolutely sucks.  It's triangled off pretty good with only about 4,500 miles, leaving the front end to flop into turns - not fun.  Avon's are the way, IMO...
The Z6 front did exactly the same thing on my FJR... figured it was my "high entry speed/aggressive braking deep in the corners" that did it... :rolleyes:

So far the Avons are impressive after the Metez's...

Well, I was able to test the wet traction on the 208’s today and I was very impressed. Heh, it’s actually raining in San Diego. Overall, I very happy with them through the first 400 miles and it’s just a matter of seeing what kind of tire life I get out of them.

If these wear out really fast, which they probably will, I think I’m going to give the Pirelli Diablo’s or the Michelin Pilot Road’s a shot next.