Dunlop Road Smarts -HOLY CHRIST!!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I see the problem you guys are having with your Roadsmarts. You're buying 2 of them.

Just try the rear with another (better) front sneaker installed.

I'm going that route and can't complain (yet)

This [SIZE=14pt]15"[/SIZE] wheel is now bolted to a piece of 2" square tubing with a long threaded rod so that I can slide it into the trailer hitch on my truck. Now the FJR rim can't budge while spooning tires on or off. Makes a huge difference!

Any pictures?

Thanks
I was going to wait until I made the bead breaker attachment, but I guess I'll post the work in progress. Taking pictures tonight after work......

As promised, here's a picture of my fancy (not!) wheel holder. It ain't pretty, but it works great!

wheel_holder.jpg

As I noted previously, I plan on adding a bead breaker attachment to my setup. For now it simply holds the wheel steady while spooning tires on and off. For anyone that's slid around on the floor trying to hold the wheel steady on a plastic bucket while trying to spoon on a tire, you know that holding the wheel stationary is a HUGE help.

I acquired some scrap 2 inch square tubing from work and a discarded 15" car wheel. I had to buy a length of 1/2" threaded rod along with 2 plain nuts, a wing nut and 3 large fender washers (all in 1/2" thread size) and a piece of heat shrink tubing. Using some shelf-life expires RTV from work (more free stuff) I glued a old piece of split garden hose onto the car rim to protect the bike wheel. If I had to buy glue, I'd probably get some construction adhesive. I drilled a couple holes in the 2" square stock - one for the hitch pin and one to bolt the car rim into place. Parts were assembled into the fancy holder you see in the picture. The heat shrink tubing protects the wheel bearings from the threaded rod.

In use, I slide the bike wheel over the threaded rod, throw a washer onto the rod and tighten down with the wing nut. The assembly is at a great height for spooning tires and allows me to use my knees to press tires into the well of wheels while spooning.

HELP..... My first tire change with the No-Mar was the rear RS and it was a NIGHTMARE!!. :eek: I spent 5 freaking hours doing it following No Mar's Gold wing method. I didn't bend any of the spoons, but I did tear the bead a bit. Which at first I thought wasn't a big deal until I just noticed that I have F@#@4 bubble on side of the tire. The tire also slipped 12 inches on the rim from using to much lube!!!

Here's my questions. Does anyone know what this No Mar lube is made out of? I did end up using a lot because of the nightmare problems I was having trying to install the RS. Isn't this lube suppose to dry? Also has anyone every had a tire slip using the RU-GLYDE tire lubricant?

I did call Seth @ No-Mar and asked him what the heck I was doing wrong. He said that I should be following the BMW K12 rim install not the Gold Wing. Just like are rims this BMW rim has a very shallow drop zone. Which means you don't use the spoons and the blocks, you just use the mount-demount bar and the yellow thing to install. Since I have to removed this brand new tire AGAIN, I'm going to practice until I get it right, so I don't wreck another $140.00 tire!! Any additional hints would be really appreciated.

Also if this tire changing thing doesn't get any easier soon I may have a slightly used No-Mar for sale :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
The BMW K12 video makes it look sooo easy. And he was using their standard classic model too, looked much easier than the Goldwing tire change. I will definitely review that video before my next tire change.

Bill

So, is there any kind of lube (other than silicone) that would be ok to use (please no KY jokes).
tire changing rookie

I got a quart of " Tire-Slick " by TSI,, from a MC Catalog several years ago and have been happy with it...

I have used soapy water in the past ,,, but the Tire Slick is much - more - better....

Didn't cost that much and well worth it....

Bench vise to break the beads-dish soap for lube-15 gal Valvoline barrel with hose over rim for support- bar clamps to squeeze the beads together-bead buddies to keep the beads[especially the bottom one] in the well-big tire irons and pieces of leather welding glove to protect the rim-homemade static balancer and lots of practice. I can change any tire by myself in 15 minutes.. practice, practice. Problem is , I have lots of friends..