Dunlop RoadSmarts and Final Drive Oil

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdisher

formerly Renegade, get used to it.
Reaction score
Before this gets swept to NEPRT

The manual calls for .21 Liters of FD fluid, or .21 US Qt, which by google math is 6.7 ounces. Now the reason I bring this up is it is suspected that my FD seal failure(s) in both my original 2006 FD and my ebay purchased FD were from over-filling.

The first time I changed it (@ 500 miles), I noted the level was at the bottom of the threads, and that is where I've always filled it too.

Now with my freshly rebuilt final drive mounted I wanted to be specific so I measured out 6.7 fluid ounces. But it was running out at 6 ounces. WTF?

Yes it was empty, no I don't think there was an ounce of residual fluid. What gives?

So I sucked some out, it appears it's full at 5.5 ounces.

As to the RoadSmarts, I bought them from a guy that needed cash or I wouldn't have bought them. I pad $180 for the set. ****, these were the hardest things I have ever mounted. And I really hope they age well cause new they are like ASS, and a hard ass at that. I am not liking them so far but have only scrubbed them in ~50 miles or so @ 40PSI cold (Max-2)

Hrms...

-MD

MD,

No help on the FD, sorry. As for the RoadSmarts, they will soften in about 100 - 150 more miles. Don't know what you're used to getting for mileage, but you can expect to only get about 4k out of the rear. The front might go to 5-6k. It seems that the RoadSmarts work better at lower psi, for lighter bikes. I had some on my last two bikes, 2009 Aprilia Mana 850 and 2010 Mana 850 GT. They get flat in the middle real quick, and I wasn't slabbing it much, as I spent more than 60% of my time in the mountains. It actually got to the point on my third set that I was trailering the bike to the mountains just to get more life out of them. Sucked, really, because the edges are grippy as hell, and the tread pattern works real good in wet conditions (when the middle isn't flat).

As for measuring out the fluid, I just pour it in until it's at the bottom of the threads, no worries about quantity measured.

The Roadsmarts - Never mounted my own, but I'll never get another pair. :blink:

Fill the FD as specified and don't worry. BTW, the FD has a big breather, so doubtful overfilling was causing seal failures. If overfull, it would blow out the breather and you should have seen oily substance on the FD.

MD,

No help on the FD, sorry. As for the RoadSmarts, they will soften in about 100 - 150 more miles. Don't know what you're used to getting for mileage, but you can expect to only get about 4k out of the rear. The front might go to 5-6k. It seems that the RoadSmarts work better at lower psi, for lighter bikes. I had some on my last two bikes, 2009 Aprilia Mana 850 and 2010 Mana 850 GT. They get flat in the middle real quick, and I wasn't slabbing it much, as I spent more than 60% of my time in the mountains. It actually got to the point on my third set that I was trailering the bike to the mountains just to get more life out of them. Sucked, really, because the edges are grippy as hell, and the tread pattern works real good in wet conditions (when the middle isn't flat).
Ugh, I like PR2's and get a good 8-10k out of a rear, or have. Tried Angels, and while I liked them, they went to shit in a hurry after 5k. They looked like they had another 3k but that turned out not to be the case. Right now these things feel hard as rocks, I was hoping that I'd at least get some miles out of them. 5k is not exactly what I was looking for.

Ugh.

MD,

Make sure you check the stamped date code on the tires. If they're really that hard, they could be old. That's not something you want to find out while driving. If you have never done this, it's a four digit code, like 1209. This would mean that the tires were manufactured during the 12th week of 2009. If they're old, there's no telling how they were stored.

MD,

Make sure you check the stamped date code on the tires. If they're really that hard, they could be old. That's not something you want to find out while driving. If you have never done this, it's a four digit code, like 1209. This would mean that the tires were manufactured during the 12th week of 2009. If they're old, there's no telling how they were stored.
Good point, I bought them last fall, from a former forum member who 'won' them at EOM. They can't be that 'old', but I'll check anyway.

There should be no issues with those RoadSmarts. I put RSs on at my second tire change and am on my 3rd or 4th set now. I am getting from 6700-7400 per set. They wear just fine and stick like glue.

Due to cupping problems on the OEM BT020s, I have run every set of tires at 42 front 43 rear and have had no complaints.

BTW, the RSs have really stiff sidewalls and are a bitch to mount yourself. You're not the first to mention this.

Fill the FD as specified and don't worry. BTW, the FD has a big breather, so doubtful overfilling was causing seal failures. If overfull, it would blow out the breather and you should have seen oily substance on the FD.
Try not to over fill it. I did this one time by spinning my rear tire then adding oil (without letting enough time go by), the oil that got spun up to settle back to the bottom. I had goo all over.
100_6234.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
RoadSmart front sucks moist ass cheese on an FJR. Rear is a good tire, but exposure to ozone is what ages tires. If those tires have been sitting around in the open air (not in a box) for a couple years, then they could be fairly ripe.