DYNOJET Yamaha Power Commander

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiteflyer

Reaction score
My 15 year break from motocycling is beginnig to show: my FJR is the first bike I've had with fuel injection and the need for syncronizing the thottle bodies. Would the addition of the DYNOJET Yamaha Power Commander help minimize the need for syncronizing or would it help with the overall performance of the bike? I've got tons to learn about this bike, and I'm not shy about getting into performing service routines. In fact, the less I see of the dealer, the better. Thoughts?

Regards,

-Paul

Power Commander has nothing to do with synchronizing. And carbed bikes need syncing, too.

The Pwr Cdr allows adjustments to the ECU's fuel map. The bike can be tuned for power, for smoothness, whatever. Proper use requires a dyno session with folks that know what they're doing.

Power Commander has nothing to do with synchronizing. And carbed bikes need syncing, too.

The Pwr Cdr allows adjustments to the ECU's fuel map. The bike can be tuned for power, for smoothness, whatever. Proper use requires a dyno session with folks that know what they're doing.
Sounds like I need to forget the Power Commander and pick up a Morgan Carbtool and just concentrate on synconization.

-pc

The latest model bikes have much improved fueling over the earlier versions.

Since your bike is a '10, save your money and use it for something you really need. A PC *might* smooth the bike a touch and reduce the off-idle abruptness a little. IMHO a PC is not worth the mileage penalty...YMMV

--G

What are you trying to solve? Is something wrong with the bike?
No, not a thing. I'ver reached the 600 mile checkup point. And, having done all lubricating, changing of the oil, oil filter and drveline oil, the only thing left on the list is the sycronizing of the fuel system. I called my dealer here in town and they'll do the check for $72. I'm dropping the FJR with them this afternoon.

My original post was just looking for an easy way for me to do the check myself. ;)

Regards,

-Paul

What are you trying to solve? Is something wrong with the bike?
No, not a thing. I'ver reached the 600 mile checkup point. And, having done all lubricating, changing of the oil, oil filter and drveline oil, the only thing left on the list is the sycronizing of the fuel system. I called my dealer here in town and they'll do the check for $72. I'm dropping the FJR with them this afternoon.

My original post was just looking for an easy way for me to do the check myself. ;)

Regards,

-Paul
The PC does improve off throttle response significantly IMHO. You will pay a mileage penalty, but to me it was worth it. I went form 42-45 mpg down to 38 mpg riding two up in the twisties and fairly agressive on the throttle.

I normally ride two up and tow a trailer a lot. The throttle jerkyness, although not as bad on the 2010 models as it is on the 2006 can be eliminated with the PC. I went with the PCIII to start with, and then switched to the PC V with the auto tune and O2 sensor. There is a fairly large difference in the PC and I would recommend the PC V over the III if you are inclined to get a PC.

I like the fact that the throttle repsonse is crisp, no lag and significant over stock - even when I have a map installed that is tuned more towards mileage and less towards performance.

I have a 2009 and really like the PC V. The bike seems to have more low end grunt and get up and go on the upper end. It helped a lot with surging and to me the motor seems to be smoother. I added aftermarket cans and just installed an Autotune because there wasn't one map that seemed to work as well as the stock muffs did. I feel that the bike overall is much more fun so I feel that the DynoJet modules are worth what they cost. This may have been mentioned already but it appears that Fuel Moto has the best prices and the customer service has been friendlier than what I experienced at DyonJet.

My '04 had low end surging/stuttering problems. If you don't have these type of problems I wouldn't bother. The PC smoothed it out for me. Like stated above, I take a small hit on mileage.