ear plug help

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snikr

Reaction score
I use the EAR yellow foam ear plugs and now on a long ride they hurt my ear canal. I was reading that some people put something on their plugs to help out. I've searched here but can't seem to find anything, :dribble: but then it could have been on a email list where I read it. Can anyone help???? TIA

Tom

Having ridden 11 days straight with ear plugs and ER-6...with an incredibly sore right ear....I found out the right ear was actually related to pressure in one areas of the ear that generally made inflammation worse on the whole ear. It took me a year to figure this out just thinking my right ear canal was more sensitive than the other....so my point is to not underestimate helmet fit.

I did have some prescription ointment that had cortizone in it that reduced inflammation, but I wouldn't use that stuff perpetually.

I did also try "Oto-ease" I got from an audiologist and had the issue been exclusive of the helmet rub issue it might of helped.

Both ears did suffer even when I went with the gentlest Herman-Leight foam plug I could find in the right ear. Then it's an issue of actually raw and scabbed inner ear that Neosporin both helps as a lubricant and to prevent infection.

Last edited by a moderator:
A friend of mine suggested using Neosporin on ear plugs. I haven't needed to use it, but I have really soft plugs with no issues, even on days long trips.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys! You are QUICK! I'll try the Neosporin next time. I use the EAR yellow soft foam plugs and never had this problem this bad. I have a new helmet and I'm sure that is part of the problem as well. Time will tell. Thanks again.

Tom

The yellow EAR plugs also irritate my canals, even without the helmet. I'm currently using some tapered ones I picked up at the drug store which I find far more comfortable for long wear. YMMV, but they're cheap enough to try different shapes and sizes until you find one that fits better.

Google shows many companies that will send you a sample pack of different types of plugs for under $10.

I used to wear the yellow ones until I found the Max-1 plugs from Howard Leight. They come in a big box at the hardware store (250 pair?) so they are very inexpensive. They offer noise reduction of 33 decibels which is one of the highest levels of protection. They are soft foam and are very comfortable. I even wear them in bed at night if I want to tune out ambient noise. Highly recommend.

I do use the EAR plugs myself. I buy them in a 200 pair box, and the per pair price is pretty good when you buy in that volume.

A key to the EAR plugs is to throw them out at the end of each day. They're meant to be disposable.

Someone above mentioned custom plugs, and I saw this idea in another post the other day. It seems like a good idea. The post the other day mentioned custom plugs with noise cancellation. That would seem really cool.

I have noise cancelling earmuffs, and they work great in the car, on airplanes, or trains, or to mask the sounds of appliances and HVAC systems. If it were possible to move the technology to my helmet, I would be wonderful.

Many people have problems with the yellow ear plugs hurting their ears.

I would try some of the tapered/shaped plugs.

For about 10 years, I had to wear ear plugs at work for 12-16 hours a day (wearing them all day long).

I have tried just about every ear plug on the market, even custom molded.

For foam plugs, I (and many other people I know) much prefer these:

https://www.howardleight.com/family/index/3

try the shooting section at walmart for earplugs. also try the pharmacy area. I found some really soft ones with tapered ends, that are really comfortable to wear all day riding. If you wear them alot, your ear canal just gets sore. I work 3rd shift and wear them alot for sleeping. If you wear them and sweat alot, you are getting "swimmers ear". Get you some swimmers ear medicine OTC or lay off the plugs a few days and it will go away.

Foam plugs irritate the heck out of my ears. I went to the smooth silicone shooter plugs and noticed the Etymotics look similar. I've been riding for a bit with the better Skullcandy earbuds for my XM/MP3 and they came with both styles. Again, the foamies rubbed me raw and the silicones were fine.

I'm going to try the Neosporin for now with the yellow foam EAR plugs (which I get for FREE at work). I used to wear them all the time while I was on 3rd shift at work plus to bed to help me sleep with little to no problems. I also think the new helmet fit (HJC full face) is causing some of my problems. Time will tell. Tanks all for your help. Maybe molded plugs wil solve the problem. Where is best to get them??

Tom

I work for a major hearing aid manufacturer, and have spent the last 15 years fitting hearing aids and hearing protection. Custom fit sounds like a great idea but what I have found is that no matter what I build for my ear when I put my helmet on, my ear folds over and breaks the seal........thus, not much hearing protection. There is one other option from Westone Labs in CO, the owner was a bike guy, so they supposedly have some custom options that work under a helmet. Will update if they work.

Until then the only thing that works well for me is the tapered orange foam plugs I pick up at WalMart in the shooting dept. I change them 2 to 3 times a day on long rides. Its workin for me.

I use the shooter's plugs, with the "leaves" that stick out from a central core. Used 'em for hundreds of years. Use to use 'em to sleep whan I'd go to the Daytona 24, also. Plenty comfy, and connected by a cord so they don't disappear at fuel and food stops. (Put the cord under your jacket, though, or the whistling will drive you crazy.)

I rode over to the Cherohala Skyway this morning, and it goes up over a mile from sea level. Most of my riding is done between 300 and 2200 feet.

I had my ear plugs in, and when I descended, my ears started hurting. I also noticed that I was hearing some noises that were different than usual. I flipped up the face shield, held my nose, and popped my ears. I guess I must have gone deaf at some frequencies from the overpressure, because as soon as they popped, the bike sounded totally normal again.

The Cherohala Skyway is nothing compared to the elevations you see in the Rockies. The guys that ride there are probably a lot smarter about this stuff than I am. However any time you have elevation changes of 3/4 mile or thereabouts, you've given your bike and your body something to think about.

FWIW, I've had the ecu recall done, but I thought it felt like it took the bike a while to richen up after the descent.