Ear Plugs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the deal. Have the AutoCom Active 7 hooked up. Lorie and I both have the speakers in the helmets (I used the ER-6i for quite a while but got tired of the extra hooking up etc). Took Lorie for our first 2 up last Sunday (both wear 32db earplugs) and with the volume all the way up I can hear Lorie, but not all that great. Tried it last night in the garage w/no earplugs and the volume is just fine. Bottom line is I want to wear earplugs AND hear Lorie or Ipod, etc. Soooo...anyone have recommendations on earplugs that might let more through the speakers but still be good enough vs outside noise?
used the combo of ear plugs and helmet speakers for years. what you're doing (with any combo like that) is blasting high dB into your ears and trying to defeat the very reason why you wear ear plugs in the first place. if you really want to protect your hearing, go with ear monitors. you may have a little hassle with wiring but it's not nearly as much a hassle as hearing aids. with ear monitors you block the wind noise AND turn DOWN the volume of the stereo to near minimum levels because the audio doesn't have to fight the ear plugs and the ambient noise to get to your ear drum.

your long-term hearing will thank you.

one example of ear monitors: https://www.fjr-tips.org/acc/ear/ear.html

Last edited by a moderator:
E1Allen - thanks, but think I'll pass.

On another subject - your coming to DC and looking on where to live. If you're going to be on the Honor Guard I assume you'll have odd hours. I deployed a lot and my main concern was that my family was safe while I was gone. You should at least consider living on base at Bolling AFB. I use the woodshop over there occasionally and they built a lot of new houses. Not the greatest part of town outside the gates, but I'm sure it's safe inside.

With odd hours your biggest concern will be the commute / time to work. I live in Stafford 40 miles south and work in Ballston (about 2 miles west of the pentagon). I carpool and use the HOV lanes - usually 1 hour in the AM and 1+ hours in the PM. If you're alone using the regular lanes you can count your commute time with a calender!

PM me if you want to talk. Although I'm a retired Marine, I was born on Fairchild AFB!

Bounce - thanks. We started with the ER6is and they worked great - except they weren't comfortable for Lorie (no size fit well). Then she used the helmet speakers and I used the earphones. Worked fine except setting the volume for her made it too high for me. Solution is to get the newer version AutoCom with separate volume control for driver and pax. Anyone want to trade a well cared for Active 7 for a newer version?

Will do, I don't know yet if they require you to live on base or not. I'll be up in DC for the first two weeks of august for training with them. Hopefully I will be able to get out and about.

Latest posts