Earbuds?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Divenride

Reaction score
Is anyone using earbuds? What brands are recommended or have you had the best luck with?

Thanks,

Divenride

Etymotic ER-6 for me. Great on all counts.

You can also find this topic previously discussed many, mahy times by entering earbuds into the Search feature.

Etymotic ER-6 for me. Great on all counts.
You can also find this topic previously discussed many, mahy times by entering earbuds into the Search feature.
+2 on Etymotics. Finally just wore out the first set of foam plugs. Now using the more hygienic (maybe) plastic flange type. SWEET fitting and really block out the background noise. Use them with a Creative Zen Nano MP3 player, or direct to RoadyXT (hardly ever but works great), and now using with Autocom instead of helmet speakers. Nice. Very Nice.

Earbuds, such as they are, hurt my ears (the hard ones), or are so wide that they hit the helmet liner. Not the Etymotics. Man they now fit INSIDE my ear with the flanges. SCHAWEET!

Thanks to all of you who replied ....I'll be looking at all the ones you've suggested. I knew this forum would have some opinions. These will actually be needed for a racing helmet where I'll need to hear the driver over a 750hp V8. They may eventually end up back in my FJR helmet though after all the responses I've read. I currently have an Autocom with the helmet speakers which need to be pretty loud to overcome the wind noise.

Thanks Agian,

Divenride

Just got the ER6i's for X-Mas, and they ROCK! I will be interested to see how they work with my new helmet (Shoei X11), which is sure to have a tighter fitthan the one I have been using for the last 5 years. Don't go cheap, the Etymotics are worth the money.

ER6s here...You said you may need to hear the driver over a 750hp v8? Can you expand on that? :) Back in the day (last year :D ), most of the guys I worked with had LS1's with 450+ hp, I was the only loser with a stock motor...A few were deep into the 600s and one was around 900 rwhp. All of those I could hear the driver just fine, actually the highest HP one was the quietest, go figure. Sorry to hijack, just got side tracked into a former hobby / life.... :)

I have the UM-2s - they're better than the Shure E5Cs for certain. I use 'em with Shure's triple-flange fittings. I heartily recommend them.

If you search you can find 'em for $250, though you'll sacrifice the metal hard case that the dealers include at the $300 price point. You still get the 'standard' storage case however.

I have the UM-2s - they're better than the Shure E5Cs for certain. I use 'em with Shure's triple-flange fittings. I heartily recommend them.
If you search you can find 'em for $250, though you'll sacrifice the metal hard case that the dealers include at the $300 price point. You still get the 'standard' storage case however.
I'm curious as to what brand and model of helmet you wear with your UM2's?

Thanks to all of you who replied ....I'll be looking at all the ones you've suggested. I knew this forum would have some opinions. These will actually be needed for a racing helmet where I'll need to hear the driver over a 750hp V8. They may eventually end up back in my FJR helmet though after all the responses I've read. I currently have an Autocom with the helmet speakers which need to be pretty loud to overcome the wind noise.Thanks Agian,

Divenride
Pray tell, what's this all about? I'm thinking, 750hp, hmmm... Champ Car? Dragstrip?

Pray tell, what's this all about? I'm thinking, 750hp, hmmm... Champ Car? Dragstrip?

My Christmas present this year was a ride in a Trophy Truck at the Parker 400 :yahoo: