Earbuds?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should all be careful with ear buds. They are one of the leading causes of hearing loss. You don't' realize how loud the music is due to wind noise and 1300 cc's under your legs. If you do wear them, only turn them up just to the point you can hear the music. If you have to turn them up really loud, you are causing permanent damage to the nerve endings in your ears responsible for high pitch/frequency perception. Then you get tinnitus which sucks, your ears will ring for the rest of your lives.

Sorry to be a party pooper, but you don't want tinnitus.

Last edited by a moderator:
You should all be careful with ear buds. They are one of the leading causes of hearing loss.
Not totally true. Using properly fitted earbuds that conform to your ear/totally plug your ear, are better than ear phones or speakers that do not drown out ambient/outside noise. Those wearers usually have the volume turned up to drown out other noise and generally increase their overall decibal intake.

My hearing is fine, it gets tested annually.

...and here is another link. Plugup.com

You should all be careful with ear buds. They are one of the leading causes of hearing loss. You don't' realize how loud the music is due to wind noise and 1300 cc's under your legs. If you do wear them, only turn them up just to the point you can hear the music. If you have to turn them up really loud, you are causing permanent damage to the nerve endings in your ears responsible for high pitch/frequency perception. Then you get tinnitus which sucks, your ears will ring for the rest of your lives.
Sorry to be a party pooper, but you don't want tinnitus.
I wouldn't know what to do if my ears didn't ring. :huh: Results of my misspent youth and my time in the USMC <_<

I wouldn't know what to do if my ears didn't ring. :huh: Results of my misspent youth and my time in the USMC <_<

yea me too....And back then (circa 1974) a photographers pass to stand next to cars at the drag strip was a highly sought after item...go figure.

You should all be careful with ear buds. They are one of the leading causes of hearing loss.
Not totally true. Using properly fitted earbuds that conform to your ear/totally plug your ear, are better than ear phones or speakers that do not drown out ambient/outside noise. Those wearers usually have the volume turned up to drown out other noise and generally increase their overall decibal intake.

My hearing is fine, it gets tested annually.

...and here is another link. Plugup.com
True, but most people get ear buds similar to the type that come with an ipod. Those are the ones that will really ding you. Definately get form fitted ones if you plan to wear during riding, but they are pretty darn expensive!

Definately get form fitted ones if you plan to wear during riding, but they are pretty darn expensive!
??????

Etymotics - $80 from Amazon. Not all that expensive IMHO.

And from my own personal experience, the Etymotics fit better and blocked more ambient noise than the custom molded jobbies.

I have the Westone UM1 earbuds, they work great, I can't get over how great they sound while riding. You can't beat them for price and quality of sound.

I have the Westone UM1 earbuds, they work great, I can't get over how great they sound while riding. You can't beat them for price and quality of sound.
Different strokes for different folks. The Westones did not work for me. And they weren't exactly cheap IMHO.

I have tried a lot of stuff over the years. In the 70's we were using smaller headphones and putting them in our helmet ear holes. Today with the sophistication of micro devices, they rock. I have used Etymotic and really like them except with certain helmets they get uncomfortable. I also have two pair of customs that are excellent and more comfortable but don't have near the db reduction rating of the Etymotics. I have found that running directly from a device gives better quality of sound. It suffers a bit through my Autocom.

Er6i's for me... and I love them... wish they had the black ones the last time I bought, since they'd probably look better longer than the white...

For me at least, they are quieter than the custom fitted ear plugs I had made by an audiologist... the only drawback is that after a week or so of daily long hour usage (like 8-10+ hour days on the bike, every day), my ear canals start to get sore.