East TN Ride Tommorow, Sat July 8

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slapnpop

Rest in Peace our Forum Founder
Reaction score
Meet at the One Stop gas station on South Roan St in Johnson City, 9:00am. We'll ride down to Okalona, in the back side of Elizabethon, up for a quick pass through Shady Valley, and into Bristol for lunch at the Wing Doctor.

Roger, this should get you back to town in a reasonable time, no?

All welcome to join us. I'll have a slower trainee with me, so if you want to fly you'll be ahead of us a few places.

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed ! It was a good ride!

However next time you guys are going to have to ride behind me.

I never even got to get out of first gear! :clapping:

Just kiddin' :p The pace was just fine.

I really enjoyed meeting all you guys and having a little time to chat too.

The ride could have only been better if it had been longer,

but like you said Slapnpop, responsibilities beckon.

After our ride, I got to go catch and wash my daughters horse! Yahoo! :yahoo:

...and then dinner and a movie date with my beautiful wife. :p

Anyway, what a great day! :D

Thanks guys, for making the ride happen ...on the bikes that is! :lol:

Roger

PS. Someone should tell the rest of the gang here where we went on our ride in case they would like to join in sometime.

Okay, so here is what I posted on the FZ1OA message board...

https://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54957

"Great ride Saturday the 8th on TN421"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What an excellent day for a ride!

I was wilfully adopted by an FJR1300 forum administrator and another member with one of their friends just learning to ride to make our way across 421 into Shady Valley, TN today. The pace was easy and relaxed but it was just the perfect day for it. Each of us enjoyed the ride and the brief interactions as we conversed mostly among ourselves during a couple of stops along the way.

We had started our journey in Johnson City, TN on some back roads that meandered into the hills below Roan Mountain and from there found TN91 east to the intersection where the Shady Valley Store enjoys the patronage of upwards of 500 bikes stopping in there on any given day like today.

It's eastern Tennessee's biker playground with growing popularity nearing that of Deal's Gap, TN and some who have ridden both say 421 has more of everything to offer. I say you should experience them both and decide for yourself, but a lot of bikers would prefer to keep 421 a big secret.

I'm afraid the secret is out. All you have to do is sit a while and watch the numbers roll through these beautiful mountainous passes, but you won't sit for long. You will be too anxious to get out there and experience the ride for yourself as we were able to today.

Our little group included two Yamaha FJR1300s, a Yamaha Radian, and me bringing up the rear on my new Yamaha FZ1.

An excellent day indeed!"

Last edited by a moderator: