eBay tupperware

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wev567

Reaction score
Has anyone ever purchased replacement plastic fairings from eBay? What should I be looking for? Any venders to stay away from? I had a low side late last fall the scuffed up both front sides pretty bad, cracked the lower right side about 5 or 6 inches, and small scratches to the bags. (I am fine - it all sounds worse than it is) I have a Plastifix kit and considering just fixing the crack and getting it all painted, but not sure if it'd be easier to just replace it all. Any opinions?

PM LeeDavis for more details. He recently purchased, painted and installed the knockoff tupperware. Biggest discovery I know of... the pieces don't fasten together in exactly the same way/places as OEM. So you have to use ALL knockoff or work some special fastener magic to mix them.

Has anyone ever purchased replacement plastic fairings from eBay? What should I be looking for? Any venders to stay away from? I had a low side late last fall the scuffed up both front sides pretty bad, cracked the lower right side about 5 or 6 inches, and small scratches to the bags. (I am fine - it all sounds worse than it is) I have a Plastifix kit and considering just fixing the crack and getting it all painted, but not sure if it'd be easier to just replace it all. Any opinions?
Have you contacted any local body shops to see what they might charge if you took the parts off, did some crack repair and brought them in? Maybe you could take the damaged parts off the bike, and take them in.. Also, I think I read that Gerauld (hope I spelled it right) does some amazing work for a reasonable price. Hope that helps.
Gary

darksider #44

The eBay stuff is also pre-painted, but not to match the original colors, so it would have to be painted anyway. If you decide, "Heck with it, I'll use the color it came in," then your tank is the wrong color.

Since you have to paint something, you may as well have your original panel painted after a repair. That repair has got to be cheaper than buying panels you don't need.

The only thing the eBay panels are cheaper than is Yamaha panels, and by the time you paint them, I don't know if that's true any more, since the Yamaha panels come painted and stickered to original colors.

After my lowside in gravel back in October '07, the Progressive guy called the local dealer for prices, wrote me a check for their price plus labor, and of course I ordered genuine panels online for less and installed them myself. Because my bike slid under an Aarmco barrier it damged both sides, the fender, cowl, and windshield, so I got all new plastic from the pegs forward. (Price difference made up the deductible. And then some.)

Last edited by a moderator: