ECU Differences '07, '08, '09 ??

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The pricier of the two controllers is the MCU and the specific prices vary by year, but the sum of the two controllers is approximately $1650 at Cycle Parts Warehouse.
If I could find the two units for about half of the above prices, I would probably try substituting the 2009 units in my 2007. :rolleyes:

Cheers!

If your goal is smoother throttle control, then you can get it for less by purchasing a Power Commander V plus the AutoTune module (I think someone recently paid less than $700 for both) that allows you to customize the tuning yourself in terms of air fuel ratios. Then you can control what areas are leaned out for fuel efficiency and how much without paying for custom tuning, and it will automatically adjust itself if you do any exhaust or intake mods. You can find your own balance of smoothness vs. fuel efficiency that you like, and even switch to a configuration more biased toward economy for long trips.

Upgrading to the 2009 stock controllers may give some improvements, but they are still limited by emissions requirements, so it won't be the best that it could be in terms of smooth throttle control and throttle response.

Or if you really want to be different and enjoy cutting perfectly good wiring, you could go with the Motty AFR Tuner like I did (before PCV and AutoTune existed). It gives similar AFR-based auto-tuning as the PCV+AutoTune, but also includes a built-in data logger (useful for discovering which areas to lean out for cruising efficiency) and has a higher resolution map for more precise tuning. I think I got mine for about $640.

I ride a '08 AE and I would have sold it if not for the PCIII I add to it. It solved all the jerking and surging that the facfory built in. I installed the smoothness map for gen. II and it cured it.

so for those of us just arriving here let me attempt to put together what i can about this thread

The AE is considered jerky and lurches on the throttle (felt that myself)

The power commander fixes that but costs to much (i agree its too damn much)

Tube stands for throttle body tube, not youtube

I have a lot to learn about this bike

I didnt think the jerky throttle was that bad, but i just sold a gixxer 1k that was UBER sensitive with the throttle so i feather mine regardless. However i do see what some of you cats are saying about low speed turning from a stop, esp in the rain (havent rode mine in the rain yet)

So is the power commander the answer? Or was it the power commander plus something else? Again, sorry for the ignorance im trying to search as much as i can on my own, but im not exactly the sharpest crayon in the box. I rely on my animal instincts. :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
so for those of us just arriving here let me attempt to put together what i can about this thread

The AE is considered jerky and lurches on the throttle (felt that myself)

The power commander fixes that but costs to much (i agree its too damn much)

Tube stands for throttle body tube, not youtube

I have a lot to learn about this bike

I didnt think the jerky throttle was that bad, but i just sold a gixxer 1k that was UBER sensitive with the throttle so i feather mine regardless. However i do see what some of you cats are saying about low speed turning from a stop, esp in the rain (havent rode mine in the rain yet)

So is the power commander the answer? Or was it the power commander plus something else? Again, sorry for the ignorance im trying to search as much as i can on my own, but im not exactly the sharpest crayon in the box. I rely on my animal instincts. :ph34r:

I started this thread thinking that the newer FJR's (08,09) had better control over the throttle. It appears that the newer ones are still jerky. I was looking for updated ECU's and YCCS controllers.

The consensus seems to be that the Power Commander III or V will cure the throttle abruptness and inconsistancy issues.

Wally's Smoothness fueling table load into the PC seems to do the trick.

One of the forum folks (CAVY) has gone the newer PC V route with the added Auto Tune module and the standard 2009 FJR fueling table from Power Commander. He claims the auto tune dialed right in.

Naturally, the PC V with auto-tune is substantially more expensive ($501 versus only $3XX).

I am going with the PC V/autotune approach as that seems to eliminate any dyno work.

Cheers!

Thought I'd reawaken this thread with an update. I swapped out my '07 ECU for an '08 ECU. In my case it wasn't the snatchy throttle I was trying to fix. While the '08 ECU didn't fix my issue, it works fine otherwise. It may be slightly smoother, but I'll admit that may just be wishful perception on my part.

G2 and PC3 with a custom map = Smooth as silk

On a side note, I'm running a pre-recall '06 ECU in my 07 since my post recall ECU failed.

After a ride on my friend's 2010, I concluded that a PCV wasn't necessary (compared to mine with a PCV). Seems they may have updated the fuel mapping for 2010. I can't speak for the throttle snatch, did not test in enough conditions. Since throttle snatch is common in most FI engines............ in any event, I am also working on possible ECU reflash as a solution and hope to have some further info in the coming weeks/months..

https://ecunleashed.com/