Efficient Paperwork System and Cockpit Light

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyway

Reaction score
Since it won't be much longer before the rally season is upon me again, I'm trying to iron out any/all wrinkles that I have previously not addressed. One thing that I really could use some advise on is an efficient paperwork system and suitable cockpit light, to aid in quicker stops while providing protection from the elements.

I have read of some riders who use a waterproof file system, but how is everything attached so it doesn't blow away? I am interested in mounting the cockpit light to my tankbag if possible, as I'm trying to avoid a cluttered cockpit when riding local.

Can't provide any guidance on a paperwork system, but, as far as lighting, these look like a pretty good option

https://www.tirerack.com/accessories/hella/...ies&make=Hella&

If you get the one that plugs into a cigarette lighter, you could pop this, with the cigarette lighter adapter, into your powerlet during a stop, then pull it out and throw it back into your tankbag.

hel_map_light_cig.jpg

hel_map_light_perm.jpg

No reference to water resistance, which a said light should provide I would think?

I also have my tankbag hard wired with 12volts

Last edited by a moderator:
I too have been pondering those exact things.

The light I think I've got a pretty good plan. I bought a Littlite some months ago and am fabricating a bracket that I will mount the light to and then screw that bracket to my new set of handlebar risers on holes I'm going to tap and drill. Plus I'll run a wire with a plug connect so I can put on and take off the light in about 2 minutes for local riding.

The paperwork scene is going to be a little trickier and I don't have it totally figure out yet, but the base of my plan is going to be a Saunder's Clipboard and I've already purchased it. I plan to figure a way to rig it to the top of my tank bank with maybe some velcro and/or keychain quick releases. I figure I can have a rally pack in the clip part with a rotated over lid and put photos and maps in the 3/8" storage part. I saw a couple of Big Dawgs at the Utah 1088 run something like this.

It would be somewhat water resistant and if it rains too hard I could put on the tank bag rain fly.

I too have been pondering those exact things. 
The light I think I've got a pretty good plan.  I bought a Littlite some months ago and am fabricating a bracket that I will mount the light to and then screw that bracket to my new set of handlebar risers on holes I'm going to tap and drill.  Plus I'll run a wire with a plug connect so I can put on and take off the light in about 2 minutes for local riding.

The paperwork scene is going to be a little trickier and I don't have it totally figure out yet, but the base of my plan is going to be a Saunder's Clipboard  and I've already purchased it.  I plan to figure a way to rig it to the top of my tank bank with maybe some velcro and/or keychain quick releases.  I figure I can have a rally pack in the clip part with a rotated over lid and put photos and maps in the 3/8" storage part.  I saw a couple of Big Dawgs at the Utah 1088 run something like this.

It would be somewhat water resistant and if it rains too hard I could put on the tank bag rain fly.
So which model did you go with on the light? Are they waterproof?

I like the idea of the storage system, but I was thinking more along the lines of a clear/soft/see through type system with multiple pages. I would like the option to be able to read while on the move.

I am also considering using a MapFlat on the back of my jacket, as wifey is very good with literature details, now that we have the Autocom hooked up.

So which model did you go with on the light? Are they waterproof?
I like the idea of the storage system, but I was thinking more along the lines of a clear/soft/see through type system with multiple pages. I would like the option to be able to read while on the move.

I am also considering using a MapFlat on the back of my jacket, as wifey is very good with literature details, now that we have the Autocom hooked up.
They're not advertised as waterproof, but I've seen a lot of them at rally and long-distance events and think they hold up very well. I went with a L-18A-LED. Three way rocker, LED, with white and red lights. No rheostat--which I'm not sure yet was a wise choice.

My focus for the board is on reading on the go too. Rallypacks are multiple pages, but you tend to be on one or two pages as you go. I haven't seen a see-through system with 20 or 30 pages, but since you need to write on each page with a Sharpie I'm not sure that would work for me anyway

And being solo I don't obviously have or worry about support from the pillion area other than 4.8 gallons of auxilliary gas. ;)

Damn! I just came across a way cool lite a couple of Googles ago... if I could just remember where???!!! I'm digging for it guys - it was perfect for this app., red for optimum vis without night vis distortion. Bear with me, I'll find it...

It was kinda like this one but better:

https://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Cap-Light-p-17376.html

L-12A-LED from Littlelite is what I use.

Red light while underway and white light while stopped and needing info NOW.

Can't be beat, but a bit spendy.

What, you got into LD Riding to save money???

Get a map case that sit's on top of your tank bag, and either pull your rally sheets out or learn to angle your pen and write inside. I just write inside as pulling the rally pages in and out is a pain.

Trust me, you need to experiment with what works best for you, and it'll never be right the first time.<G>

Good luck,

GZ

I’ve had a couple of different lights like this

https://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Twist-Light-p-16600.html

I keep it in a breast pocket (did he say breast :eek: ) of my jacket with the light sticking out. Works good in the cockpit and it goes where ever you do. Looking in the trunk, checking the bike, reading bonus sheets away from the bike all hands free.

This one is a bit pricey and I've had 2 of them, they both broke so I wouldn't recommend this exact light. Try the local camping store, lot o' lights.

The paperwork scene is going to be a little trickier and I don't have it totally figure out yet, but the base of my plan is going to be a Saunder's Clipboard  and I've already purchased it.  I plan to figure a way to rig it to the top of my tank bank with maybe some velcro and/or keychain quick releases.  I figure I can have a rally pack in the clip part with a rotated over lid and put photos and maps in the 3/8" storage part.  I saw a couple of Big Dawgs at the Utah 1088 run something like this.
Unless you want to read a book while you’re riding, why on earth would you need a multiple page clipboard? With the GPS Navs systems everyone using plotting your route as well as your stops etc....it seems all you'd need would be a map folded up somewhere in case of an emergency software failure........it there a feature for it I'm not thinking of, like keeping your sandwhich from blowing away while munching on your pototo chips?

Unless you want to read a book while you’re riding, why on earth would you need a multiple page clipboard? With the GPS Navs systems everyone using plotting your route as well as your stops etc....it seems all you'd need would be a map folded up somewhere in case of an emergency software failure........it there a feature for it I'm not thinking of, like keeping your sandwhich from blowing away while munching on your pototo chips?
You ever heard of a rally pack and bonus listings? They are actually made up of multiple pages which need to be referenced constantly during rallies, rain or shine.

I see the hints requesting you to cut down on trolling have not sunk in yet? ;)

I've had good luck using this little clip-on light for many years. I clip it on my tank bag and it has served me well without spending alot of dough or going to a bunch of trouble.

Clip-on lite

Skyway,

I use the light you have the picture of attached to a SAE connector, and for the maps I bought (3) large map bags from www.duluthtrading.com, try:

Duluth map bags

I am still in the process of stopping the flapping of the bags, I'll show you what I have come up with by the time Cal24 rolls around!

Skyway,
I use the light you have the picture of attached to a SAE connector, and for the maps I bought (3) large map bags from www.duluthtrading.com, try:

Duluth map bags

I am still in the process of stopping the flapping of the bags, I'll show you what I have come up with by the time Cal24 rolls around!
Josh, I think the holders you are using may be just what I'm looking for. Whatever I end up using, I plan to take along with my tankbag to magsbags who just happen to be in Sonora, to have everything attached for ease of use. I have seen their custom work up close and it is top notch.

I can't remember, but it was only after Googling for about 10 minutes. I couldn't find any sources that were drastically cheaper. Ended up going with the one that's website was easiest to navigate and didn't gouge me for shipping.