Electircal -"Enginge running" circuit

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everything else is very similar. I'd be curious if you'd want to share words or pics of where you placed your relays and powerblocks ....and I use the word powerblock loosely, I may just use a few small terminal barries jumped as needed. I'm up to six relays now, but 4of those are for various lights and I'm wiring those relays in-line to help with space. But I need to find a home for one or two bosch clones.
The wiring harness(es) that I built for the bike were no small undertaking. I did it last year to consolidate and simplify the many different hookups I had. I dont have a way of posting images. So if you PM me I can send you some pics of how I fit everything into the fairing.

Part of the wiring harness is permanently installed in the front fairing, so when I am servicing the bike I just have to undo a few extra electrical connections and the fairing with the headlight and little fairing pocket comes off as one piece. My fuse box is in the fairing pocket (which has been modified to make it bigger). I've got two relays attached to the sides of the fairing pocket, and another 3 tucked into a plastic box and attached to the underside of the headlight. I've also got switches in various locations to:

- Kill power to all acccesories, no matter what the current engine on or off state is. (In case of some catastrophic problem I can cut the power to all my stuff and still drive home)

- Supply power to all accesories, no matter what the engine run state is. (Like you said, handy for when you need some light for a moment at night but the engine is off.)

- Switch power between driving lights and heated gear plug. I've set it up as either driving lights or heated gear, but not both. Built in lockout to prevent me from killing the battery.

And of course the harness supplies the power to whole bunch of different items: driving lights, heated gear plug, rd, J&M CB, FM Radio, MixIt2. Some of these items are on with key, and some dont come on till engine is running. I've tried to set it up so its the minimum possible with the key-on-engine-off state. Anything I could defer to engine-on state I did (like driving lights and heated gear).

And thats just at the front of the bike, I've got a second fuse panel at the back of the bike for accessories back there.

Like I said, PM me with your email address and I can send you the wiring diagram and some pics of the inside of the fairing so you can see how it all goes together.

- Colin

Last edited by a moderator:
Everything else is very similar. I'd be curious if you'd want to share words or pics of where you placed your relays and powerblocks ....and I use the word powerblock loosely, I may just use a few small terminal barries jumped as needed. I'm up to six relays now, but 4of those are for various lights and I'm wiring those relays in-line to help with space. But I need to find a home for one or two bosch clones.
The wiring harness(es) that I built for the bike were no small undertaking. I did it last year to consolidate and simplify the many different hookups I had. I dont have a way of posting images. So if you PM me I can send you some pics of how I fit everything into the fairing.

Part of the wiring harness is permanently installed in the front fairing, so when I am servicing the bike I just have to undo a few extra electrical connections and the fairing with the headlight and little fairing pocket comes off as one piece. My fuse box is in the fairing pocket (which has been modified to make it bigger). I've got two relays attached to the sides of the fairing pocket, and another 3 tucked into a plastic box and attached to the underside of the headlight. I've also got switches in various locations to:

- Kill power to all acccesories, no matter what the current engine on or off state is. (In case of some catastrophic problem I can cut the power to all my stuff and still drive home)

- Supply power to all accesories, no matter what the engine run state is. (Like you said, handy for when you need some light for a moment at night but the engine is off.)

- Switch power between driving lights and heated gear plug. I've set it up as either driving lights or heated gear, but not both. Built in lockout to prevent me from killing the battery.

And of course the harness supplies the power to whole bunch of different items: driving lights, heated gear plug, rd, J&M CB, FM Radio, MixIt2. Some of these items are on with key, and some dont come on till engine is running. I've tried to set it up so its the minimum possible with the key-on-engine-off state. Anything I could defer to engine-on state I did (like driving lights and heated gear).

And thats just at the front of the bike, I've got a second fuse panel at the back of the bike for accessories back there.

Like I said, PM me with your email address and I can send you the wiring diagram and some pics of the inside of the fairing so you can see how it all goes together.

- Colin
Very cool, I'd very much like to see some pics, what I'm doing is *very* similar to what you've done.

I had originally planned to use the pocket thing as a place for fuses/relays and wiring (and still may) ....but now that I've decided to use a box mounted to my clutch reservoir for switches, I'm kinda re-thinking things a bit.

I'm not PM capable, but my email addy is in my profile(clicky). Sure appreciate it Colin, thanks much ..John

I tracked down the Green/Blue wire Saturday. Here are some pictures for others if you want to do the same.

I have the front removed since I'm rewiring quite a bit, but you can access this by removing the black dash panels on the left. The relay we are seeking is mounted on the left side of the fairing stay:

P1020631.jpg

The relay will pull off the mount to expose the Green/Blue wire shown here:

P1020633.jpg

I cut the wire and inserted both the original wire along with the line now running to my fuze block and HID relays. I used a simple butt splice with heat shrinking compound to seal the connection up.

P1020635.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got my 04' wired this way. The negative (-) to the headlights is what is switched on the GenI and I used that to operate my relay. Switching from high to low doesn't affect it.

I've got my 04' wired this way. The negative (-) to the headlights is what is switched on the GenI and I used that to operate my relay. Switching from high to low doesn't affect it.
Ummm, no it isn't. :blink:

The black wires on the headlight connector goes to ground (battery negative actually) all the time. Not switched.

The yellow and green wires are switched +12V, relay controlled depending on the position of the high beam relay.

Ummm, no it isn't. :blink:

The black wires on the headlight connector goes to ground (battery negative actually) all the time. Not switched.

The yellow and green wires are switched +12V, relay controlled depending on the position of the high beam relay.
:blink: I thought that's how I had it. It's been about 5-6 years since I did it. I guess I'll have to drag out the schematics and see what I did! :blink: :blink: