Electric vests

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TILAM

Reaction score
I got to ride the FJR for the first time this year. It was 2 degrees C ( about 35 F for non metric types) I was anquious to try out my new Widder vest with heated collar and eletronic controller. While it did take the edge off it wasn't too toasty on the hwy. I didn't seem to see much difference regardless of the setting on the controller. Am I expecting too much considering the temperature and wind chill or am I doing something wrong? It seems about the same as my old cheap vest with no collar or controller.

Last edited by a moderator:
While not knowing what other gear you have, I would wonder if your jacket was blocking enough wind. It would take a considerable amount of heat to combat teh cooling effects of 35 deg air blowing past you at highway speeds. I don't think those vests are windproof or are they?

While the Widder vest does a good job it will depend on your outer wear. I layer and have a wind blocking pullover that I wear over the vest and under my First Gear Kilimanjaro. I now have a Gerbing electric liner jacket which I prefer. If you can't stop the wind blowing through your vest's efficiency will be diminished.

As important as it is to maintain your "core" tempature, a layer of clothes under a good warm jacket will keep you comfortable in those temps. What you need is to warm up you extemities- hands-legs-arms-feet and head.

A tall windscreen , handguards with winter gloves (or heated grips or gloves) a good pair of lined overpants and warm socks will make you feel warmer than just a vest.

The heated collar does sound nice however. I use a wool scarf and a silk balacava (sp?) when temps go near freezing.

KM

I just bought a Tourmaster Synergy vest with collar. Shizzammmm! :yahoo:

First, on goes long sleeve turtleneck base layer (https://www.soundrider.com). Next, the vest. Then my leather Alpinestars ICE jacket. I also wear a neopreme/fleece face piece and a fleece turtle that I tuck into the collar of the jacket. Top it all off with my new BMW winter gloves.... Voile! Nice & toasty.

Bottoms are padded base layer (bicycle tights) and my leather Alpinestars TRACK pants. Base layer knee socks with Cortech over-socks into my SIDI, Alpinestars or Cortech boots.

+1 on what everybody else has said. And, be sure you wear the vest close to your body, as in right over what ever it is you're wearing on your skin. Although I've moved to a Gerbing jacket liner (with sleeves) I used to wear the same vest that you have. I wear mine over a thick long-sleeve T-shirt (happens to be a Cal24 Rally shirt), then cover the liner with either a sweatshirt or my favorite FJR fleece if it's colder. First Gear Carbon heated (and waterproof) gloves complete the nice warm ensemble.

I've found that with my Gerbings jacket I can tolerate temps in the low to mid 40's with just an underarmor shirt, and my First Gear mesh jacket. (Liner in of course) The Gerbings is a bit of a power hog to be sure, but the flexibility it has allowed me in packing when it comes to multi day trips more than makes up for it. If I throw in a sweatshirt and my frog-toggs, I never even bother anymore to pack my "heavy" coat when I travel multi-day/week unless I really expect to hit extended periods of temps of 35f or below.

I actually have more issues with my hands. I have a pair of Gerbings heated gloves, but I feel like I am wearing catchers mitts when wearing them. I'm just not a bulky glove kinda guy, and the heated grips really only keep the parts of the hand that are in direct contact with them warm. I must have 20 pairs of gloves in my "bike gear" closet, and I'm still looking for the perfect cold weather pair.

I got to ride the FJR for the first time this year. It was 2 degrees C ( about 35 F for non metric types) I was anquious to try out my new Widder vest with heated collar and eletronic controller. While it did take the edge off it wasn't too toasty on the hwy. I didn't seem to see much difference regardless of the setting on the controller. Am I expecting too much considering the temperature and wind chill or am I doing something wrong? It seems about the same as my old cheap vest with no collar or controller.

OK I'll a give little more detail

I was wearing a tee shirt with the Widder vest on top. When I bought the vest it was at a show so I spent a bit of time with the sales guy getting a reasonably close fit. I was wearing a fleese on top, albeit an older bit worn one. Then the outside layer was my "Stich" Roadcrafter one piece. It really isn't terribly wind proof so that may be part of the problem.

I know that when in the 40's the old cheap electric vest was OK. I don't think I ever used it at this low a temp. I guess I was expecting magic. Maybe I was a little high on expectations. No doubt a wind proof layer would make a big difference.

I find that my hands don't seem to be a problem if the vest is helping out. I have a heavier pair of gloves that work quite well and when a bit warmer (high 40's) I can get away with my regular riding gloves.

Thanks for the info and I'll look for a light wind layer for under the Stich

Gotta say,

I had purchased the powerlet whole jacket liner from OHFJR's site/company. https://www.premiercycleaccessories.com/

I have ridden with it here in MN regularly around 30 degrees. GOT TO SAY... This jacket liner gets absolutely toasty.. EVEN HOT!! At those temps. Having the variable controller is a absolute must have!! It does have the plugs to add gloves and pants later if you wanted. Very good product!! Remember, for electric clothing to work you need it to be snug fitting. Don't order a size to big. You'd rather it be a bit small than a bit large. It won't push up against you and warm you.

Very good product!! Thanks Duane!!

WW

I lived on London for about three years in the late '90's and did all of my commuting on my K75S. My outfit of choice is a one piece 'Stitch, Unobtanium electric vest with thermostat, and genuine Scotish wool sweater (vest under the sweater). Worked extremely well. Keeping the wind out is the key, the sweater did that for me. Using the vest without the sweater was chilly at best.

I was going to work down the A30 at 80MPH one morning and started to get slightly uncomfortable (cold). THought my electrics had quit until I pulled into the car park and looked at my thermometer. It was 30F! Not too bad.

Recently I came back from Corpus Christi and it was between about 42 and 46F with heavy fog and occational cold rain. Same outfit but I was not really comfortable. El Campo I stopped and put on my "full combat rain gear", a set of Sterns yellow pants and jacket over the 'Stitch ($10 at Academy and well worth it). Totally comfy after that. I think the dampness combined with the wind (plus my thin blood from living in Texas for the last 8 years) required some additional protection. The thermostat is a must too.

I've got the same problem. My vest worked great last year but when I needed it a couple a weeks ago, it too didn't seem to be as warm. I've not had time to check in to it but I'm wondering if maybe the controller might not be functioning properly. Any of you elecrical wizards out the know how to test one?

The Widder is passable for a cool evening but not meant to be in the same league as the Gerbing jacket liner. The Widder is only good to 35 watts (some are less) and the Gerbing jacket is 77 watts. In other words, the very best the Widder can do is less than half of what the Gerbing will put out!!!

I find my 'Stitch is not as warm as my Kilimanjaro, but that is largely because the Kili has more layers to insulate with and fits tighter. The 'Stitch is waterproof and windproof but pretty thin by comparison. Still, I'm comfy down to the 20s with a Gerbing jacket liner over an office shirt and under my 'Stitch.

As for the hands, I wear the Gerbing glove liners under snowmobile gloves. I'd sure rather have the new Gerbing G3 gloves which aren't "poofy" at all, but am just too cheap to pop the $160. The Gerbings get hot enough to make my hands sweat or if not careful to even burn the skin on the back of my hands. FWIW, I also have the heated grips and there just is no comparison between heated gloves and the piddly warmth of the heated grips.

Did you check to make sure your plugs are connected properly. For the correct polarity the plugs must be connected with the embossed logo on the same sides. If you plug in the wrong way, I believe it will still work but the controller won't adjust anything.

I picked up one of these as a cheap alternative a few weeks ago.

Craftsman Heated Vest

I wear it under my usual riding jacket. The heating elements are only in the rear of the vest and the rechargable battery lasts only about four hours, But it serves my purpose for commuting on cold mornings.

Did you check to make sure your plugs are connected properly. For the correct polarity the plugs must be connected with the embossed logo on the same sides. If you plug in the wrong way, I believe it will still work but the controller won't adjust anything.
I thought I had them the right way around as I had heard if that before somewhere. I'll try it the other way and see.

I haven't had a chance to try it again.

+1 on this. If the plugs arn't plugged in properly then you will only get low setting no matter how much you turn it up. My widder stuff is more than warm enough even when my GPS is screaming Ice warnings at me.