Electrical install for duwwies

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bes

Reaction score
Hi guys. Need to wire V1 to bike---problem is I have NO wrenching abilities. Install is simple, wire clampy thingy that bites and seals into a hot wire.(Like you guys needed that info) Any input to which keyed wire is the most accessible? Any pics.....thanks Barry

before I get flamed, I did search---and do not want to use the cig adapter in the glove box. Thanks

Hi guys. Need to wire V1 to bike---problem is I have NO wrenching abilities. Install is simple, wire clampy thingy that bites and seals into a hot wire.(Like you guys needed that info) Any input to which keyed wire is the most accessible? Any pics.....thanks Barry
before I get flamed, I did search---and do not want to use the cig adapter in the glove box. Thanks

[SIZE=24pt]INCOMING!!!!!![/SIZE]

OK,

I'll jump in here.

First I'll assume the topic title is a "play on words" rather than poor spelling. :unsure:

Next, is it safe to assume you don't have a factory service manual?

What a number of members have used is one of the turn signal/running light wires. The SM would help you locate these and aid in removing the proper body panels to access same.

You could however use the Owner's Manual (which you should have) to locate the battery and remove the corresponding panel. Then you could wire directly to the battery and use the V1's on/off switch.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

OK,

I'll jump in here.

First I'll assume the topic title is a "play on words" rather than poor spelling. :unsure:

What a number of members have used is one of the turn signal/running light wires. The SM would help you locate these and aid in removing the proper body panels to access same.

You could however use the Owner's Manual (which you should have) to locate the battery and remove the corresponding panel. Then you could wire directly to the battery and use the V1's on/off switch.

Hope this helps.
Thanks Bob; yes it was a play on words. Service Manuel is in route. My other idea was to install an additional fuse box. One electrical install compared to several. Mmotolights, additional acc socket, etc...The more I think about it, that seems the way to go. Velcro the fuse box into the useless glove box and route all wiring into the box? What do you think?

Alot of folks use a power strip under the front right dash or a Blue sea fuse box under the passenger seat. You'll find a good write up of the power strip at www.fjrtech.com. The bluesea would be here on this site. google fjrforum and bluesea.

Mine is mounted on the right front break control via a Ram Mount...

Initial power was straight to the battery, which is fine, until you leave it on for a weekend... As since been moved to the right turn signal for switched power.

If'n you search you should find all you need to know.

-MD

OK,

I'll jump in here.

Hope this helps.
Thanks Bob; yes it was a play on words. Service Manuel is in route. My other idea was to install an additional fuse box. One electrical install compared to several. Mmotolights, additional acc socket, etc...The more I think about it, that seems the way to go. Velcro the fuse box into the useless glove box and route all wiring into the box? What do you think?
Do a search using Goggle. Try Bluesea fjrforum.com

That should result in a number of posts dealing with mounting a separate fuse panel and running your electronics from there.

More work? For sure, but it's worth it in the end. The fuse panels have been mounted in numerous areas (wherever one can find room). Mine resides where the tool kit was stored. I used the strap to hold it in place. One member did a first class job mounting it there.

Good luck, oh and don't ever post something like this on a Friday. :rolleyes:

I'm about as good as bes when it comes to working on my bike and have a wiring question. After reading a number of posts I bought a Centech AP-1 and wiring harness. I tore my upper fairing apart and tried to find an easy route to run the wires from the battery to the storage area under the seat. I found it virtually impossible to find any places to get the wires through. Anyone have any tips or tricks? I have the service manual and it shows a spot near the top of the radiator but the wiring harness isnt long enough. Help??

I'm also wanting to add a switched fuse box to my 07. I've been searching "switched power site:fjrforum.com " " auxiliary power site:fjrforum.com", "fusebox site:fjrforum.com" etc...... While I have found threads that talk about it, and fewer that show pictures. I haven't found one that says a good source to tap in for swithed power is the (red/blue/green and yellow stripped brown....pic the color) wire located here. I have also found a lot of post within the thread saying search on this and you'll find the answer... Which I did search and still couldn't find the answer to the question. Sometimes that thread points back to the original thread I was reading.... Can someone tell me which wire is good to use for switched power for a fusebox.

There is one thread by AsheHaulin that may give the answer but the pictures are no longer available. :(

Thanks

I put in the Blue Seas in the tail. To get the wires from the battery/front of the bike, I wrapped several wire pairs (enough to wire all my stuff in front, plus the battery wires) in black electrical tape. I ran this bundle under the adjustable "wing" on the right side, out side the frame, across the small gap and into the side cover, and then up to the area under the seats. You can only see it where it crosses the small gap and if you wrap it neatly it looks fine.

I added a relay to switch the Blue Seas power and used the rear taillight wire to power it.

Not sure if this helps! I've got two heattrollers and my Zumo up front wired to the Blue Seas, and have a couple of extra pairs of wires in case I add more stuff.

I'm about as good as bes when it comes to working on my bike and have a wiring question. After reading a number of posts I bought a Centech AP-1 and wiring harness. I tore my upper fairing apart and tried to find an easy route to run the wires from the battery to the storage area under the seat. I found it virtually impossible to find any places to get the wires through. Anyone have any tips or tricks? I have the service manual and it shows a spot near the top of the radiator but the wiring harness isnt long enough. Help??
Try using a heat resistant hose entering the area right behind the battery along the left side. You have to take off the silver trim around the tank.

I hooked mine up to the baatery. Having noticed before that it had things coming from it similar to the thing for the defector, only largerer, my powers of destruction put too and too toogether and dam if it didn't work.

I'm also wanting to add a switched fuse box to my 07. I've been searching "switched power site:fjrforum.com " " auxiliary power site:fjrforum.com", "fusebox site:fjrforum.com" etc...... While I have found threads that talk about it, and fewer that show pictures. I haven't found one that says a good source to tap in for swithed power is the (red/blue/green and yellow stripped brown....pic the color) wire located here. I have also found a lot of post within the thread saying search on this and you'll find the answer... Which I did search and still couldn't find the answer to the question. Sometimes that thread points back to the original thread I was reading.... Can someone tell me which wire is good to use for switched power for a fusebox.
There is one thread by AsheHaulin that may give the answer but the pictures are no longer available. :(

Thanks
If you are installing louder horns, you can use the stock horn wiring. + to the horn is switched, - is wired to the horn button.