Electrical Question - Relays

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TahoeBound

Reaction score
Wondering if I use a relay to a power strip (ala Warchild's instructions), and I wire my magnum horns to that strip, do I still need to use a separate relay for the horn?

I understand why I would use a fuse between accessories & power (mostly), but I don't understand why a relay is necessary particularly in the case of the horn, where original horns are not relayed.

Also, I noticed Electrical Connection Power Panel appears to only be a positive power hookup and I'll still have to do something with accessory ground wires. I noticed a Master Ground Block but wondering if there's such a piece that handles everything - power & ground. I'd like to have all wires going to one place.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
And because of the smaller wires to the OEM horn button, they work as a resistor. If you use a separate relay for the Blaster horns, you should get the most power to them making them louder.

Also, I noticed Electrical Connection Power Panel appears to only be a positive power hookup and I'll still have to do something with accessory ground wires. I noticed a Master Ground Block but wondering if there's such a piece that handles everything - power & ground. I'd like to have all wires going to one place.
Both the BlueSea and the Centech panels offer + and - connection points.

On a side note, at the risk of being chastised, I have been using after market horns using the stock wiring for 14 months now with no issues.

Yes you need a relay on a horn. The fuse panel relay controls the fusepanel, the horn relay controls the horn.

If you use the stock horn system with an aftermarket horn it's just a matter of time before the horn button melts down. How long it takes depends on how much current the new horn(s) take. Plus a horn relay and new wiring will give you the best blast for the buck from any horn.

Many bikes have no horn relay because the horn doesn't draw much current and you don't use the horn much. Replacing a horn button might get expensive if you need the entire switch housing.

Both the BlueSea and the Centech panels offer + and - connection points.

On a side note, at the risk of being chastised, I have been using after market horns using the stock wiring for 14 months now with no issues.

It will work with the OEM wiring if you dont use it too often, like for a few seconds every time. Using your horns continuously for about 6 secs or more will cause the wiring to eat up and melt :unsure: , live wire will short on the body :unsure: :unsure: , fuse will blow :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: , bike will catch in fire and explode.... :dribble: :unsure: :dribble: :blink: :unsure:

Kidding :rolleyes: nothing wil happen after the fuse blow but you will have to replace the wiring