"Engage-Sport" Quick-Lock Tankbag

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwpools

Reaction score
Bags-Connection "Engage-Sport" Quick-Lock Tankbag for SW-MOTECH Gascap Mounting System

Does anyone have this bag? and if so , is it worth the money?

I keep looking at bags, and it is tough on the internet when you cannot touch and feel. It appears these bags are really nice, but are they work almost $200.00, + the cost of the gas cap lock?

Thanks

I have the smaller engage tank bag and love it. Good quality, I would buy one again.

Mac

I have the Engage XL (thanks to buddies) and have been using it most of the summer. The bag is good quality, comes with a rain cover and is easy on / off when fueling. Previously used mag mount bags which work well, but due to the soft ahamaY paint will eventually scratch on the tank...no matter how careful one is. And I tend to be pretty careful.

Is the Bag Connection worth the price?? Only you can make that decision.

--G

I have a "Trial QL" and a "Daypack II" as well as the rings on all 3 of my bikes. The pull-cord release mechanism works a charm, and they clip back on pretty well too. The bags have stood up well to about 3-1/2 years of use. "A++ would buy again" :)

I swore off magnetic bags when a large screw got under one and ripped the shit out of the tank on the SV, and strap bags just suck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the OL Trial as well. Love it!!

With the bag/mount design and my tank bra, I don't have worry about jacking up the paint on my fuel tank.

You can find them at Twisted Throttle.

Thanks for the replys, sounds like I can't go wrong. I should have asked this as well, does the height interfere with the gauges? and do any of you use the GPS bracket that attaches to the bag. It seems like a pretty cool option :D

Thanks for the replys, sounds like I can't go wrong. I should have asked this as well, does the height interfere with the gauges? and do any of you use the GPS bracket that attaches to the bag. It seems like a pretty cool option :D
I have one for my Ducati and FJR. Switch back and forth. LOVE IT!

I have the Engage XL (thanks to buddies) and have been using it most of the summer. The bag is good quality, comes with a rain cover and is easy on / off when fueling. Previously used mag mount bags which work well, but due to the soft ahamaY paint will eventually scratch on the tank...no matter how careful one is. And I tend to be pretty careful.

--G

Does the Engage XL work pretty slick with the FJ? This is the first bag of this style I had seen, and really liked it, but thought maybe it might be to big or not fit correct on an FJ

[SIZE=12pt]I have the engage XL on my FJR, with radar and zumo mounted on a 3.5' techmount Stem. The bag is great I would definitely buy again if this one ever wears out. It's on every day all the time every time I ride, and I have 38,000+ miles on my AE and the bag. heres some rider perspective pictures so you can see what it looks like. One thing I will tell you about the engage XL is when you connect the bag side tank rink, you want it as close to the front of the bag as you can get it. You'll see why in a couple of my pictures. You might try herefor your shopping, I've always had good luck with them. [/SIZE].

Here's a Rider look at the gages and other thing from behind the bag, in riding position.

DSCN0226.jpg

Here's another it'll depend how tall you are. but the bike cockpit being blocked from view has more to do with my techmount and the Zumo, than to do with the bag.

DSCN0221.jpg

This is just to get a side look so you can see how it all looks from the side

DSCN0225.jpg

Here's how far up I have my ring:

DSCN0222.jpg

Here's why. If you mount it much further back than that, when you try to get a full lock turn out of your bars, the bag will interfere if its too far forward. Yeah not too big of a deal right? I mean you don't turn like that when you're riding anyway, However you do look mighty retarded when you're trying to back into a parking spot and you start honking the horn, or worse; hit the starter button on the other side. However I have the Heli tripple clamp on mine, I can't honestly say that with the bars on a stock triple clamp wheteher it would be a problem. In this first picture it just barely clears my PTT button for the two way radio

DSCN0223.jpg

the other side

DSCN0224.jpg

I had looked at the powered tank ring when I bought mine, but couldn't tell how it got its power, I have so much added in wiring on my bike as it is, I didn't want any more. But I did do this in mine for chargers and stuff. I have a small pigtail under the riders seat that connects to the main posts on my Blue Sea Fuse Block. which is where I hook the battery tender when I want to, and the little jumper cables I made up plug into it too, along with the slime Air compressor for my tires, so since all that other shit is stuff I use when I ain't riding, It's available for this while I am.

DSCN0227.jpg

DSCN0228.jpg

I cut the typical lighter plug connector off of it and connected a matching SAE type connector that would hook up to the cable under my seat. I "burned" a very small hole through the nylon side of it to bring the wires out.

DSCN0229.jpg

This one shows the lead coming out from under the seat that gives it juice.

DSCN0230.jpg

Heres the stuff I use on it.. I can charge 2 or 3 devices at a time, this very small inverter I use only to charge the battery for my camera, or the 2 way radio's I have, Unfortunately neither the camera nor the radio's have a 12V type charger :ermm:

DSCN0231.jpg

--G

Does the Engage XL work pretty slick with the FJ? This is the first bag of this style I had seen, and really liked it, but thought maybe it might be to big or not fit correct on an FJ
Works fine on the FJR. As DC's pictures show, the bag is large and can be a tight fit on the lock-to-lock clearance. I have the stock triple clamp with the bars in the rearward position. My mounting ring is not even close to being as far forward as his is. On full lock, my horn and starter buttons barely touch the bag.

When (if) you get the bag, mount the tank ring first. Then take some measurements and figure out where you want to position the bag. Measure twice and drill once... Good Luck, you won't be disappointed.

--G

Works fine on the FJR. As DC's pictures show, the bag is large and can be a tight fit on the lock-to-lock clearance. I have the stock triple clamp with the bars in the rearward position. My mounting ring is not even close to being as far forward as his is. On full lock, my horn and starter buttons barely touch the bag.
When (if) you get the bag, mount the tank ring first. Then take some measurements and figure out where you want to position the bag. Measure twice and drill once... Good Luck, you won't be disappointed.

--G
it must be the heli triple clamp that makes mine so much closer. The first time I mounted it the ring on the bag was about 2 inches closer to the middle of the bag, and it would touch the horn and the starter button on full lock to either side... Feel very stupid backing into a spot a honking... Especially if there's cars near you, :unsure: they just look at you like "what the f**k are you honking at" :eek: . I've had 3 other bags on the 2 bikes I've had, this is by far the best. I had one of the ones ( I forget the brand) but it was pricey, but there was a base that strapped to the tank with an opening for the fuel fill, and the bag unzipped/zipped onto the base. Nice set up but I fuel up every other day. And it got to be a pain to zip and unzip it all the time. I can take this one off one handed and put it back on one handed, and it's straight every time :) . I'm way to anal about that but I would put the magnetic one on and off 4 or 5 times trying to make it straight on the tank. Drove me looney!!!!

--G
it must be the heli triple clamp that makes mine so much closer. The first time I mounted it the ring on the bag was about 2 inches closer to the middle of the bag, and it would touch the horn and the starter button on full lock to either side... Feel very stupid backing into a spot a honking... Especially if there's cars near you, :unsure: they just look at you like "what the f**k are you honking at" :eek: . I've had 3 other bags on the 2 bikes I've had, this is by far the best. I had one of the ones ( I forget the brand) but it was pricey, but there was a base that strapped to the tank with an opening for the fuel fill, and the bag unzipped/zipped onto the base. Nice set up but I fuel up every other day. And it got to be a pain to zip and unzip it all the time. I can take this one off one handed and put it back on one handed, and it's straight every time :) . I'm way to anal about that but I would put the magnetic one on and off 4 or 5 times trying to make it straight on the tank. Drove me looney!!!!
Wow, thanks for all the info, I'll be oreering one this week!!

I had the old version on my Ninja, it started having some issues after less than a year-inner map pocket frayed, handle rubber came off...

Bought a new "daypack II" a week after i got the FJR, no fraying, no rubber disintegration, no problems at all in over 2+ years of daily use. Girls call it a "bike purse".

I think i'll get a larger bag that uses the same ring mount system for longer trips as the daypack is a little on the small side for anything other than phone, wallet, keys and essentials.

Bags-Connection "Engage-Sport" Quick-Lock Tankbag for SW-MOTECH Gascap Mounting System

I keep looking at bags, and it is tough on the internet when you cannot touch and feel. It appears these bags are really nice, but are they work almost $200.00, + the cost of the gas cap lock?

Thanks

I had the old version on my Ninja, it started having some issues after less than a year-inner map pocket frayed, handle rubber came off...
Bought a new "daypack II" a week after i got the FJR, no fraying, no rubber disintegration, no problems at all in over 2+ years of daily use. Girls call it a "bike purse".

I think i'll get a larger bag that uses the same ring mount system for longer trips as the daypack is a little on the small side for anything other than phone, wallet, keys and essentials.

Thanks
I prefer to think of it as my MAN BAG (well my other man bag at least)

Geez Stephen, did you chrome your ZX14 wheels AND your kickstand?

You a playa!

I have the Engage XL, and the Regular Engage... Use the smaller for day trips, the larger for longer trips and have it set up to be powered (though using Powerlet stuff, not with the Bags Connection power kit).

They are nice, I wish they had more pockets instead of just being one big section. If you don't mind magnetic mount the new FJR bag is the chit but I couldn't wait any longer for it to be available. It is now. (search the forum you'll find links)

All that being said, I've had 2 instances where the little ring that connects the cord has come unsprung. I don't know how it's happening. If the cord is getting hung on something when I take it off.

It's a super pain in the ass to release the tank bag after you lose that ring. Thankfully both times I've noticed this was when I was home and not getting gas in a rally. That would totally suck.

I also don't like the bracket that you can mount stuff to. Stuff moves around too much on it, though I might mount a camera to it in the future, it basically goes unused and sits in a drawer.

-MD

I have the Engage XL, and the Regular Engage... Use the smaller for day trips, the larger for longer trips and have it set up to be powered (though using Powerlet stuff, not with the Bags Connection power kit).
They are nice, I wish they had more pockets instead of just being one big section. If you don't mind magnetic mount the new FJR bag is the chit but I couldn't wait any longer for it to be available. It is now. (search the forum you'll find links)

All that being said, I've had 2 instances where the little ring that connects the cord has come unsprung. I don't know how it's happening. If the cord is getting hung on something when I take it off.

It's a super pain in the ass to release the tank bag after you lose that ring. Thankfully both times I've noticed this was when I was home and not getting gas in a rally. That would totally suck.

I also don't like the bracket that you can mount stuff to. Stuff moves around too much on it, though I might mount a camera to it in the future, it basically goes unused and sits in a drawer.

-MD
Thanks for that heads up, the magnetic might be ok, but the thought of something getting in between, and scratching my tank would drive me crazy with concern. The ring that mount to the gas cap also can be an issue, because it takes away from the clean lines of the tank. Very few things in life are perfect in every way.