Engine Braking On The AE

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRocket

Doctor Throckenstein !!!
Reaction score
How do you think engine braking will work on the AE model? I like engine braking and stepping down a gear or two when getting up to the twisties. I know some of you probably SPEED UP (more fortitude), but I tend to slow down. Rather than using the brake, I like to let the engine get me where I want to be.

When using the manual clutch, I have to often match the rpm pace before getting in to the lower gears by revving up a few grand. How will this be accomplished with the AE model? I know it's hard as hell to get it just right going down the gears like this with a manual transmittion. I think this is the biggest concern I have about the "paddle shift".

I can only assume it blips the throttle for you, just like the paddle shift cars do, making shifts silky smooth. I guess we'll have to wait until the cycle rags get a hold of one to find out.

Mike

OK, I agree the bike should blip the trottle for a downshift. But as an AE orderee, I am concerned about this:

Last year I was pulling out of an intersection in a construction area at night. Although I saw nothing on the road surface to tip me off, and I was taking it fairly easy (Honda CBR1000F), the rear end let loose half-way through tthe 90 degree turn. I saved it by immediately pulling the clutch and (of course) getting off the throttle.

I am a bit concerned how the AE would function (or not function) in similar circustances. We shall see.

Dick Frederick

Dick, I'd guess you'd be still Okay - while you couldn't pull the clutch, just getting off the throttle would probably be enough that you'd regain traction. You would still be getting some residual engine braking, but I doubt that would be a whole lot different than pulling the clutch. As engine RPMs approach idle, the computer would pull the clutch anyway.

But we'll have to see. I doubt AE will be safety concern. My only concern is reliability and complexity - as far as driving the motorcycle, the computer can probably do a better job with the clutch and throtttle than any of us.

- Mark

You know, I think that we all are going to have to wait until the MC rags do tests on this one. I'm sure they all will, because of the new technology. That will happen sooner than we can buy the bike, and they will have anwers for us.

And without a doubt, being traditionalists ("I want to ride the bike, not the other way around..."), they will do just that: RAG on the new AE bike.

-BD

Last edited by a moderator:
All this speculation is just that! Do you really think Yamaha would put something out that would be a blatant danger to it's customers and a liability? I don't think so. I'm quite certain that Yamaha has spent countless hrs/days/months/and probably years developing/perfecting it. With that said, I still say it's not for me. I might change my mind once I ride though! Who knows, not me.

I bet the AE will seamlessly downshift and provide engine braking upon demand. That's how electric shift Burgmans' and quads work anyway. Likely it's just doing the clutch work for you.

Truth be told, we're all in speculation mode. Wait until it comes out to make any judgements, good or bad. I fell into that trap as well.

I personally do not want e-shift, but certainly applaud Yamaha for trying something new (kinda) and being bold enough to release it on the FJR (given it's target market-). Did you all know that Yamaha now makes a TWO WHEEL DRIVE!! dirt bike? I believe it's not for sale here in the US, but it's only a matter of time. How cool is that! 450cc's of 2WD=hillclimb extraordinaire!

Now, back to our "the '06 sucks" threads. Let's face it, we're just jealous that we have the "antiquated" model. But then again, I've had 3 AWESOME years on the FJR. Can't say the same for a newbie '06 pilot...ahh..to be a pioneer :D

How do you think engine braking will work on the AE model? I like engine braking and stepping down a gear or two when getting up to the twisties. I know some of you probably SPEED UP (more fortitude), but I tend to slow down. Rather than using the brake, I like to let the engine get me where I want to be.
When using the manual clutch, I have to often match the rpm pace before getting in to the lower gears by revving up a few grand. How will this be accomplished with the AE model? I know it's hard as hell to get it just right going down the gears like this with a manual transmittion. I think this is the biggest concern I have about the "paddle shift".
Not by magic. The chip will compute and the shift's up or down will be smooth!

OK, I agree the bike should blip the trottle for a downshift. But as an AE orderee, I am concerned about this:
Last year I was pulling out of an intersection in a construction area at night. Although I saw nothing on the road surface to tip me off, and I was taking it fairly easy (Honda CBR1000F), the rear end let loose half-way through tthe 90 degree turn. I saved it by immediately pulling the clutch and (of course) getting off the throttle.

I am a bit concerned how the AE would function (or not function) in similar circustances. We shall see.

Dick Frederick
On the "AE" all you have to do is get off the throttle. Brake if necessary, although braking usually will only lead to trouble.

I bet the AE will seamlessly downshift and provide engine braking upon demand. That's how electric shift Burgmans' and quads work anyway. Likely it's just doing the clutch work for you.
Truth be told, we're all in speculation mode. Wait until it comes out to make any judgements, good or bad. I fell into that trap as well.

I personally do not want e-shift, but certainly applaud Yamaha for trying something new (kinda) and being bold enough to release it on the FJR (given it's target market-). Did you all know that Yamaha now makes a TWO WHEEL DRIVE!! dirt bike? I believe it's not for sale here in the US, but it's only a matter of time. How cool is that! 450cc's of 2WD=hillclimb extraordinaire!

Now, back to our "the '06 sucks" threads. Let's face it, we're just jealous that we have the "antiquated" model. But then again, I've had 3 AWESOME years on the FJR. Can't say the same for a newbie '06 pilot...ahh..to be a pioneer :D
You have it right!!

All this speculation is just that! Do you really think Yamaha would put something out that would be a blatant danger to it's customers and a liability? I don't think so. I'm quite certain that Yamaha has spent countless hrs/days/months/and probably years developing/perfecting it. With that said, I still say it's not for me. I might change my mind once I ride though! Who knows, not me.
That's why there are two model's. We all have a choice.